Pryor's going Pro!

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Goose, Dec 23, 2010.

1. Goose

Goose Walk On

2. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

This is just another example of why football players need a stipend...they are making millions for their university, and cannot even hawk off their trophies for spending money. This is coming from a PSU fan who would revel in the Buckeyes loss of 5 players. But at some point we have to ask ourselves if these kids are being treated fairly.

3. controllerabuser

controllerabuser Purple People Eaters

They get treated fairly by getting a big ass check when they hit the NFL ;)

Real talk, I do understand that maybe they should get some kind of money. You also don't know what he needed the money for and what he did with it.... Don't these guys get free rides for being good at a sport? Don't they get free passes at the school.. Like classes and stuff.. I'm sure most of the big time guys don't do a lick of homework... Maybe I'm wrong.

Just playing a little devil's advocate.

4. Goose

Goose Walk On

They do get a stipend. They graduate and don't have $50,000 to $75,000 of debt. I've give both of my nuts to not owe my school loans. They also get tons, tons of free clothes from the university and 50-60 dollars a day for food. Someone has to pay for the hotels and buses for roadgames. You start paying these students and you'll have 3 good teams and the rest will suck like in baseball.

5. ChildPlease9

ChildPlease9 @HKSeahawks

The majority of college institutions are registered non-profits. Any revenue from football is reinvested in the athletic programs. Title IX costs athletic programs nearly all of their revenues made from football and basketball.

They do, however, benefit from the increased exposure a football/basketball program brings the university. Applications, as well as average ACT/SAT score, are higher than average in BCS universities.

Regardless, a blue chip football or basketball recruit is correlated to upwards of $800,000 a year for the athletic department to "reinvest" in the university.

6. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

Say what you will about investments etc. But these kids are the face of their respective universities. They are given a place to live and food to eat. They are given basic clothes and a chance at a degree.

They are not allowed to hold jobs. They are not allowed to accept large sums of money from family. They are not even allowed to hitch a ride with a non-teammate across campus. They are expected to perform a 40 hour a week job and go to class for no short-term benefits. You can make excuses for not having student loans yada, yada, yada...but again how much money did you make your university?

Real talk: There is something wrong when a college kid cannot afford to take a girl out to a dinner and movie once a month because the NCAA has restrictions on him. While the presidents, ADs, and coaches make hundreds of thousands.

7. bdub

bdub Walk On

If you start paying these kids to play football then you just started down a very slippery slope. Besides the fact that if schools started paying kids there would only be 4 or 5 good schools in the whole country.

8. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

There are plenty of solutions out there that distribute the money from the NCAA to the students, not from the university. You take some money from all the tv deals and give each kid a couple hundred a month as a stipend and it helps ease a lot of problems they have. I would love for E to get in here and add his feelings. We both went through school as football players and it isn't exactly the bed of roses many of you think it is. There is alot of things you have to give up, and sacrafice that are bullshit because of the NCAA.

9. bdub

bdub Walk On

If you are proposing that athletes maybe get a little more money they have not then I would be all for that as well. As long as there are strict rules in place to keep some schools from paying more the athletes than others. Also do you give extra money to just football players, or to basketball players as well, or to all athletes in all sports? What about kids who don't ever see the field, do they still get paid more even though they never play?

10. ChildPlease9

ChildPlease9 @HKSeahawks

;There was a court case a few years back where a few athletes came out and said that the "full scholarship" wasn't enough to cover the full cost of attending a university. They won, and I'm pretty sure there's some sort of NCAA stipend-type of thing for all universities, at least through 2011 if I recall correctly.

I really don't think there's a solution to this that will preserve the integrity of college sports and amateurism...it's a cancerous situation.

11. bdub

bdub Walk On

I couldn't have said it better myself. Paying athletes is one hell of a slippery slope to be on.

12. xGRIDIRONxGURUx

xGRIDIRONxGURUx GO DUCKS. WIN THE DAY.

am i the E youre talking bout?

"E"

13. Goose

Goose Walk On

I think he meant Ego. You play college ball, GG?

14. xGRIDIRONxGURUx

yeah D1AA in the SoCon... 2 seasons Arena... 1 Europe... i could write a book... but i dont get into these conversations... because the majority of public have no idea what its like to play college football... but they have no clue... its like in the old days trying to rationalize that the world isnt flat... there is an opinion passed on from person to person that paints a picture of college footbll, but in reality it is a whole other monster... i was full ride as a QB and i nearly hated every minute of it... i played small time pro ball after school, but i THANK GOD that i got to, simply to was the bad taste out of my mouth from college... some people think they know but they have no idea...

"E"

15. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

you were the E I was talking about. And you said it best, people have no idea what it is really like. None...but I feel for these guys, and I came from a moderately affluent family that could give me money and help me out. Many of these kids come from broken homes, and do not have that support at home. Joe Paterno wrote about needing to do something for kids way back in the mid 80s because of the issues he witnessed firsthand at PSU. He once had a kid whose father died and he lived a long ways away from Happy Valley. The kid had no money, the family was dirt poor, and he was stuck in central PA while his father died. Paterno called the NCAA to see if they could get this kid home and they were told no. There was nothing they as a coaching staff, or university could do that would not be an NCAA violation. His teammates found a way to get him home, but again...is this fair?

16. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

Amateurism in this country is already joke...it is time we reevaluate what major college athletics are.

17. bdub

bdub Walk On

Its hard the be an college athlete in any sport. How do you rationalize giving money to only football players?

18. xGRIDIRONxGURUx

becaue in 80% of the schools they make the check for eveyone else...

"E"

19. bdub

bdub Walk On

Not really sure of the exact number but something like 90% of schools lose money on their football program. Besides I thought this was about helping athletes have an easier time? So that should have nothing to do with how much a sport makes for the school

20. xGRIDIRONxGURUx

please provide some source on that 90%... because just like high school athletics, football is the workhorse... i am the perfect example from a program that wasnt self-sufficient... ETSU from the SoCon no longer has their program due to money loss...

trust me bro... there is NO WAY 90% of schools losing money, thats absurd... but im going to cut myself off here on this conversation... i put my time into a school that was in THE top conference in D1AA at the time, before PJ was at GA Tech and was at GA Southern, before the recently retired Vandy coach had left Furman, Marshall was still in the mix, and Moss was tearing us up... IF YOU DONT MAKE MONEY... YOU DONT EXIST...

no collegiate sport works harder than football, none of you understand that and will never truly understand that... most people think that spring time and off-season is some S&C time, maybe a tad of some film here and there as the NCAA allows... PSHHHHHHHHHHHH YEAH...

some of you need to experience 5AM's and your "strength" class you take in which all of your coaches attend every day and work your frikkin' butt off, and the senior enforced film studies at their dorms in which they take the overview of what to watch from the OC/DC and you MUST attend "or else"...

if you dont know what 5AM's are... then i dont discuss any of this stuff, because you never experienced it, and will never understand how hard it is...

unfortunately my first year at ETSU Cavan left the coach that recruited me, and a good for nothing moron took over and literally drove the program into the ground in about 8 years or so? enough to where they completely cut out the whole deal, and use our former dome for track meets only and basketball which we have been doing well to win the A-SUN and be in March Madness for at least a game quite a few times recently...

funny thing is... a guy now makes money off of a shirt he sells locally STILL even after none of us play ball there... says "ETSU Bucs" on the front with the logo, and on the back it says "Undefeated since 2002" that crap ticks me off...

/end rant

"E"

21. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I may not know a lot about college football, but I know this:

The number of schools that make money on athletics is well under 10%, and that means that, in almost every case, the students are paying for everyone. Now, in some cases, football, if it was an independent entity, would make money, but that still wouldn't justify the influx of so-called "students" who have no intention of graduating, and simple make themselves a drain on the university and the community as a whole.

That being said, this group, while probably a majority, is not an overwhelming majority. But that majority has no business in college, and often has no desire to be there as well.

We need a farm system - a real, viable farm system. Play baseball, and your options are open. Both single A out of high school and college baseball give you roughly the same chance of making it big, and the minor leagues also allow you to get paid, not well, but as much as you would make washing dishes or selling your gear.

Send the athletes to the minors, and the student-athletes to college. We need to stop pretending every athlete is also a student, and we need to stop setting them up to fail by putting them in situations they can't possibly resist, and then crucifying them for being human.

Otherwise, while I think the guys who knew the rules and then broke the rules deserve any punishment they have coming (and that is the problem at hand - not the ethics of paying students, which is a separate issue for a separate conversation) and should probably go pro, because there are nothing but boos waiting for them in Columbus, the fact that Cam Newton is still playing, and the suspensions don't kick in until after the bowl game, tells us pretty much all we need to know about the NCAA and the BCS. It's only about money.

Long story short - they hurt their team. Make all the excuses you want, but they hurt their team. I'm with Spielman on this one. He's been sounding off from the start. Love that guy. Bad commentator, but great football guy.

22. ChildPlease9

ChildPlease9 @HKSeahawks

This is really something I hadn't considered but seems entirely viable. Why force a guy to spend a minimum of three years somewhere when he's not there for the "right" reasons? Minor league football makes sense...it couldn't be nearly as deep as college football, and I'm sure it would eliminate the arena leagues and all that other junk...but it makes sense. But it would come down to the money. Maybe someone should call Mark Cuban.

23. xGRIDIRONxGURUx

after the Maurice Clarett deal i thought you could leave after soph year? but anyways... there will never be farm system... EVER... this game takes too much toil on a persons body, injury is too much of a risk... the UFL is thriving now in the absence of the NFLE and a struggling AFL limited to NFL Network exposure...

farm systems work in baseball because the damage to the body is really a non-factor COMPARED to football... what needs to happen is the NCAA loosen up on the restrictions, and the coaches need to be forced to tighten down on how much time can really be demanded from the athletes... ALL COACHES in the college setting have ways to exceed their time... without "exceeding" it... trust me... Rich Rod was under fire for this, but it blew over as it was obvious that EVERY COACH down to DII ball all do the same things...

im going to stop watching this thread so i can stay civil... i dont do well with conversation that contain opinions of people that have no experience in the matter... NO OFFENSE TO ANYONE... AT ALL... just personal... because i was at a school that lost money, but were not talking over time, im talking 1.3 mill just out of the blue is gone... and no answers, from anyone, except that the program would be no more, and all the coaches were terminated, and i mean EVERY SINGLE ONE...

wear it out on the topic... but these guys dont need to be suspended, period... and the whole lawsuit from the former Nebraska QB, Sam Keller... i kind of feel him on it... when people buy your jersey's or shirts, that you are slaving for, literally it is stupid that they cant make anything off of it... and these guys are in the game we play, i actually left the school right before they(ETSU) were in the game the one year before the plug was pulled... so i cant scream about that, but some of my closest friends can... toodles on this convo

"E"

24. bdub

bdub Walk On

I actually played football at a junior college here in Utah...I was never very good so I didn't see a lot of playing time but I know how tough it is. So don't go saying these are opinons of people who have never played the game. I played and I know the toll it takes on your body but to say that no other college sport takes a toll on their athlets is just absurd and close minded.

Now I may not have played every sport or even close to it my wife is a trainer at the University of Utah so she see's a lot of stuff from other sports and let me tell you these guys playing basketball and soccer and track, etc... are not just kicking back all year while the football players take care of everything.

25. xGRIDIRONxGURUx

if you played, then you wouldnt be one of those that doesnt have the experience... would you? while JuCo is nowhere near what im talking about, you do have some experience... and yeah other athletes get hurt, but i dont know of any time in the history of soccer/volleyball/track in college that 100k+ (who has the largest basketball arena... as of 04-05 it was syracuse then tennessee @ a tad over 30k for syracuse and a tad over 20k for UT) packed in to tailgate and watch a match... im not trying to offend others with my comments, and this is why i choose to not participate in these conversations... and i screwed up by saying more than my first post...

"E"