PS3: Y.L.O.D. Question

Discussion in 'Locker Room' started by Iron Mickey, Aug 30, 2010.

1. Iron Mickey

Iron Mickey I'd take her out for some casadias

Jul 14, 2009
    PS3: Y.L.O.D. Question

So, I got a question cause I am trying to figure out whats going on here with my Original "Fat" 60G PS3...

Saturday evening my 2 yr. decides to put Apple Juice on the top of my PS3 shell and on the small lip of the PS3 where you have the eject and power buttons.

Initially I really didn't think that much of it, the juice didnt seem to penetrate the top shell nor the lip of the PS3. So I just wiped it up and moved on (and yes, i popped him on his diaper carrying tail). About 15 minutes later i went to hop on NCAA & advance the week for my league and in the middle of the advance my PS3 shutdown and then did the "yellow light" blink and shut off...

Every time I tried to restart it did the YLOD. Soooo was this related to the system possibly getting wet, or just plain dumb luck? Well I figured it just finally gave out on me after nearly 4 years and went and bought a nice shiny new PS3 slim later in the evening.

Well I get my new PS3, get home.....unbox it, hook it up....then I get my small tool set out so I can open up my old PS3 and get my game out. Well for kicks I decide to give it a shot to turn it on and see if it will at least does more than that, it works just fine, everything works...oh fuck me.

Well now I got two working PS3's and I guess the PS3 got wet and dried out after 5 hours????

So anyways, I decide to keep the New PS3 and just sell my old system for a few bucks....last night I go to wipe the hard drive and restore it to it's original state (as the instructional manual suggests when doing away with your old system)....and after restoring the HDD it shuts down...I go to turn the system back on to see everything was cleaned up and it's back doing the damn YLOD!!! WTF....

So does anyone know what's going on here? Did me restoring the HDD to factory default give it the YLOD or is this PS3 just going in and out on me?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
  2. runthepound

runthepound Get on the Bus!

Feb 18, 2010
    sounds like you just a last gasp for life when it actually fired up after you saw the YLOD. She's a goner. Move on and enjoy the slim PS3.
  3. Randiesel75

Randiesel75 Walk On

Aug 11, 2010
    Yep, I agree. Enjoy the PS3 slim.
  4. Bamaboiking

Bamaboiking Walk On

Jul 6, 2009
    if you got an original fatty that plays ps2 games, the mini sd card slots the whole 9 that all the others are missing keep it for awhile, they will be worth alot after awhile.
  5. bamagrad

bamagrad Back to Back British Amateur Champion

Jun 11, 2009
    my 2 boys would be lucky to even touch my PS3, they see it if i'm playing on it. but to even put their juice on it, i don't think so. course it helps that i have a cabinet that has doors to shut them out. yeah sounds like the original Fatty was starting to wear out. enjoy the Slim. I still have my orginial Fatty with no issues so far.
  6. fordtuff504

fordtuff504 Walk On

Jan 7, 2010
    i just let my guys kno about my ps3 dieing last nite [ame=""]sec speed[/ame]
    wassup g- unit, well last nite, my girl who rejected my offer to send her to the beauty salon on thursday of last week decided to get her hair done at home, so we both are in the living room, im playing madden and her girlfriend is doing her hair, so she eventually has to sit under the hair dryer, after about 15min under it, the damn thang trips the circut breaker for the living room, i go flip the switches back on, everything comes ack on except my ps3, shit blinks green light>yellow light>blinking red lights, the 60gig which is the one i own is by far the best one, they dont even make them anymore, if they cant revive it, then i may make the switch to xbox, fml x1000000000
  7. Gabeastmode

Gabeastmode Walk On

Jun 1, 2010
    send it in and get a new ps3 for 150