PSA - Offseason Warnings - EVERYONE please read

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Winuvas, Oct 8, 2010.

1. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

PSA - Offseason Warnings - EVERYONE please read

Okay, I want to start this talk NOW and continue to beat the drum until the offseason is upon us. I want every owner and potential owner to read this post.

I know in the past that we have had lots of fun watching owners blitz free agents with crazy totals of points. Poor planning (no offense to those I refer to, but it is what it is) made these teams have to gut everyone off of them to get under our cap we had in place.

Now we have dollars. And we make owners put their base salary offer, bonus offer, modifier, and total contract in free agent posts.

I hope this fixes the planning portion of offseason free agency. But we all get crazy. I want to put down a few examples of how prices can escalate quickly on high end free agents.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE....if you have ANY questions about these examples, now matter how little or dumb YOU may think it is, ASK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I promise you that the board, and myself as cap designer, are wanting to plan against EVERY issue, but we can't think of everything. Even if you don't know HOW to ask the question you have, TRY.....lol

Example 1:

95 + overall quarterback - their base salary you can offer is 3 million dollars, and the max base salary is 9 million dollars (hereby known as the Vishal rule, lol). The max base salary you can offer is 3 times the minimum base salary you can offer. Simple.

So let's say you want to offer the 95 + overall QB a contract. You offer the max base salary (9 million) and you offer the MINIMUM bonus (which is 1 million for those that do not know) of 1 million. That is a total of 10 million dollars in salary. Multiply that times the 5 modifier for a starting QB (which is what this 95+ QB is on your squad), and that is FIFTY (50) MILLION DOLLARS.

The salary cap is 135 million right now. 50 million is roughly 38% of your total cap. IN ONE PLAYER. And that is with a minimum bonus offer!!!!!!!

Example 2:

Let's go to the halfback position, but drop in overall a bit. 91-94 overall rated. Their base salary offer is 2 million dollars minimum, and 750,000 bonus minimum. I REALLY want this guy, so I go all out. The max base salary I can give him is 6 million dollars, and I will give him 6 million in bonuses. I think there will be lots of activity for this guy.

That's a total of TWELVE million dollars. That 12 million times the 4 modifier for a starting halfback gives me a salary of 48 million dollars. Again, for ONE GUY. Oh dear, I shoulda thought about that...Now I'm gonna have to cut a big time talent player or two to keep this free agent. Damnit.

For those of you counting, 48 million is roughly 35.6% of the TOTAL cap!!!!!

Example 3:

Going left tackle with this one, with a lower overall than last time. 86-90 overall left tackle here. The minimum base salary offer is 1 million dollars, with a minimum offer of 500,000 in bonuses. I offer him the maximum base salary I can, which is 3 million dollars. I then go silly crazy with the bonus, as this is a guy I feel I need to compete. I give him 12 million in bonuses. That's right, TWELVE million just in BONUSES.

12 million in bonus plus the 3 million base salary equals 15 million dollars. His modifier is a 5, as he's a starter. 15 million times 5 equals 75 million dollars.

Oh, shit. That bonus was dumb.

75 million is 55.6% of your team's 135 million dollar cap. Good luck fielding a team around this stud LT now.

I know the third example is extreme, but, thinking about previous points system bids we've had in last year's Madden and points setup, this would be the equivalent of some of those bids. I know it seems I'm picking on a certain owner who knows who he is, but I do this not to hurt him; rather, I want to make sure that what he had to do to his team is not repeated by others. I mean, hell, he ended up WINNING the OMFL Bowl. Nothing but love for ya, Vishal. :)

PLEASE think about your bids NOW even though you have no clue who will be available. BUDGET.

I don't want to boot any owners for being unaware of their cap payments, nor do I want to screw a new owner when we boot an unaware owner by having to destroy his team because the previous owner made a dumb move or two.

If you need help, please get with the cap guys. Wajy, Dave, and myself can help you with questions. Any board member can also help you as well. What we can't do is hold your hand and help you budget your money you have to spend. That is YOUR job as an owner in this league. I'm just asking you guys to be smart, and if you have questions, ask them.

Great season so far, guys. Let's keep it up and have an awesome playoffs, offseason, and draft for year 2.

(y)

2. Big D

Big D Walk On

We will have a nice chart for everybody to follow with mins/max's....will be nice. We already made it...I'll try to find it.

3. Big D

Big D Walk On

Here is the chart:
    OVR Salary Range Min Bonus
    0-50 150,000 - 450,000 0
    51-55 200,000 - 600,000 0
    56-60 250,000 - 750,000 0
    61-65 300,000 - 900,000 10000
    66-70 400,000 - 1,200,000 25000
    71-75 500,000 - 1,500,000 50000
    76-80 600,000 - 1,800,000 100000
    81-85 750,000 - 2,250,000 250000
    86-90 1,000,000 - 3,000,000 500000
    91-94 2,000,000 - 6,000,000 750000
    95-99 3,000,000 - 9,000,000 1000000

4. CoachWest

CoachWest Walk On

So in other words.... Stay away from the QB's right :)

Thanks guys for the heads up, Luckily the teams that have no talent don't have to worry about this as much :)

5. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

lol...or the left tackle spot as they have the same modifier.

Don't worry I will be posting more examples as I get time.

6. VishaL

VishaL OMFL Eagles / PMFL Seahawks

i got a question , the Cap penalty does it stay with you for the entire franchise or does it reset every year? if it does reset every year when does it reset?

the Vishal Rule lol, yea i was trying to only land one FA, but i ended making very strong offers and ended up with both of them, but hey it all worked out , we got this great new realistic system that winuvas came up with.

7. Matt54987

Matt54987 Walk On

can you only increase your bid by $25,000 increments?

8. saintsdave75

saintsdave75 Walk On

no, not at all; just make sure your salary bid is in the range, and you can increase it by whatever amount you like

9. Matt54987

Matt54987 Walk On

Thanks Dave!

10. Big D

Big D Walk On

There won't be any increasing of bids during the main free agency period. We use a blind bidding system.

11. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

That is an old rule I had made that never got changed from the first offseason. Although the cap guys would appreciate it if you would keep the bids in "even" numbers.

In other words, don't bid $2,000,001 if the guy before you bid $2,000,000. You know?

12. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Yeah, we affectionately call the new "max base salary" setup the "Vishal rule". It came into play because we want people who sign players to large contracts to have to take some penalty if they cut that player. Since the base salary does NOT affect a cap hit, we put that rule in so once the base salary hits the ceiling, you have to increase the bonus (which affects cap hits).

As far as cap penalties, yes, they are reset once we go to offseason mode. Very good question, sir.

13. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Bumping.

14. sammymitchell25

sammymitchell25 Walk On

The "Vishal" rule actually worked out good for him, seeing he won the OMFL Bowl last season, LOL