PSA - Offseason Year 2 Approaches!!!!

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Winuvas, Jan 18, 2011.

1. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

*gets his PSA voice cleared*

Hi, I'm Coach Winuvas. Perhaps you know me from such debacles as the OMFL Kansas City Chiefs, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, and Detroit Lions. I'm here today to talk to you about an important reason why I am in the OMFL: the OMFL salary cap.

The offseason is quickly approaching us again. And some of us are already thinking about the offseason and what our cuts and signings might entail. But for those of us that are new to the OMFL offseason process, let me go over a few warnings so you don't have to possibly be kicked from the league, as cap management is a part of the responsibility of the owners of the league, not the league leadership.

Here are a few things just to remind everyone about:

1. Blind bids. When you put in a blind bid, you are COMMITTING yourself to that bid. You cannot withdraw a bid if you win the player. If you bid, please understand that if you bid too much, that is your fault. Which leads to my second point...

2. BUDGET, BUDGET, BUDGET.....folks, I cannot emphasize this enough. When you put in blind bids, you are committing X dollars to that player. Do NOT bid expecting to lose a player; if you win players and go over the cap, you will be forced to cut players to get under cap.

3. Know the rules. Remember, position change rules take effect during the offseason, but they come with more expensive players as a result of changes. Take that into account when you bid on players, especially if you are planning to do position changes.

Another thing with rules: learn the payout of draft picks!! Unlike the NFL, we in the OMFL have rookie wage scales. If you're picking 1st, know if your player you are taking is a starter/2nd string/backup, and know what the modifier is for the position. That way you know exactly how much you'll be spending on that player and can plan accordingly for free agency. It's a set value for base salary and bonus, but NOT modifier. Modifier is dependant on where the player is on the depth chart based on overall.

4. Modifier freeze times. Remember, right after progression/regression but before cuts of any kind occur, the modifiers "freeze" temporarily to allow for offseason trading and the draft/free agency. Once the draft and free agency are finished up, we unfreeze the modifiers, adjust accordingly, and the season begins, freezing modifiers for the season. PLEASE remember this; we adjust modifiers after the draft and free agency, so think about where an overall falls on a player and offer him the correct modifier the first time so you don't have unexpected cap space used when a player goes up the depth chart. Remember, guys go UP in modifier, they NEVER go down unless you cut them (and take a cap hit).

5. Cut down to 48!!!! This worked well for last offseason and draft purposes, so we'll do it again. All teams have 3 MANDATORY cuts that get NO CAP HIT. 1 over their top 20 average, 2 under their top 20 average but still in the top 20. Then you have to cut down to at least 48 players, but every player you cut after the mandatory three GET A CAP HIT FOR THE UPCOMING SEASON. If you plan on having more than 7 draft picks, cut down accordingly. If you are unsure of offseason rules for cuts and whatnot, please read the rules on this, THEN ask questions.

6. Draft. We will probably do a live draft like we did last season, via blast chat. Guys, on this day, please keep the chatter to an absolute minimum. Last year we had to start a new chat for those that could not avoid typing away in our draft room. If you absolutely have to talk, then get a chat room started like last year and put your comments there during the draft. On draft day, ONLY picks and board members should be talking in that area. I love chat like anyone else, but on that day, we as a board have so much going on that chatting is just not a privilege we can exercise. Using myself as an example, I was updating the draft board pick by pick, taking no less than 4 people's draft boards and checking against our list to see who was available that they wanted, plus in the chat room and having at least 3 separate conversations. Guys, I'm not doing that again this year. Love ya, but I'll be busy.

7. Be prepared. I'm not asking for a 1-242 list of who you would take player by player, but have a draft board set up beforehand of about 3-5 players per position (more or less depending on position) and list them in order 1-5 of who you would take. Then keep an eye on the draft board (I will try like hell to keep it updated to the pick, but no promises, especially later in the draft) and have a plan in place for taking a player when your pick is up. We did an okay job of this last offseason, but all of us can do better in this regard. No excuses here, honestly, as the draft board has been up since week 1 or 2 of the season. You've had PLENTY of time to look and figure out who you want. Be ready to go and have a solid plan going into the draft.

8. Have fun. Personally speaking, this is the most enjoyable time of the season for me. I love wheeling and dealing and getting new players into the system. The games.....okay, not so much. But the GM aspect of this game I love to death. I love it when people say, "Holy crap! How'd he get that trade of that guy for that?" or "Why'd he draft THAT guy?". Guys, Rico Ash was a 5th round scrub pick at strong safety. He's now the 4th leading tackler on my team, 2nd on the team in interceptions, and a playmaking ballhawk that has started since week 2. My Eagles trade ended up stinking for me, but that's the breaks. Hopefully I can make up for it with a top 12 pick and more picks in the draft if I can work some trade magic.

If you have any questions, doubts, concerns, please.....ASK. But I would really appreciate it if you tried to read the rules first. I don't mind helping folks who help themselves first.

Most of us folks here since day 1 have the cap system down pretty well. I think some of you even know it better than me, and I invented the damn thing. :) But in all seriousness, I think the cap we have makes it as realistic as we can muster, and I think it's easy once you get the nuances of it down. The nuances look hard, but once it clicks, it's done.

Guys that are in the playoff hunt, good luck the rest of the way and I hope you do well and contend for a title. Guys that are out of it now, or close to it, good luck planning your offseason and I hope everything goes well for you and you turn it around next year.

2. saintsdave75

saintsdave75 Walk On

I'll go into more detail as we get closer to the blind bidding portion of the offseason, but two things I want to make clear:

1- there will be no conditional bidding of any sort

2- if you place a bid after midnight and before a reasonable morning hour (8am) do not expect those bids to be revealed at the closing time

Please, we want to prevent situations like happened last season where if you have someone that you bid on ending at 6am but no one is around to announce the winner, and another free agent you may want ends at 9am, you cannot say "oh well if I don't win the 6am guy then I would have wanted to bid onthe 9am guy, please let me place a late bid"

No way, No how, Too Bad

• Like Like x 1
  3. Big D

Big D Walk On

I'd like to propose something for free agency and have the board take a look at it.

One of the loopholes that people (including myself) are taking advantage of is that we can sign these massive free agent contracts only to cut the guys in our mandatory cuts the following year and receive no cap hit. For example, on my own team I signed Thomas Davis for $30 million and Brian Waters for $15 million......but I am now able to just cut them in mandy cuts for no cap hit.

Obviously there is nothing you can do about last years FA signings, BUT I have a very simple solution as we go foward!!

*Make all free agent signings 2 year contracts....meaning that all FA's you sign you cannot cut without penalty for 2 years. This would include mandy cuts. You could still cut these guys, but you would take the cap hit of their bonus*

2 year contracts. Simple, straightforward, very easy to implement (just put an extra column in the cap book), and would completely close this loophole and force guys to budget better.

What do you think?

4. sammymitchell25

sammymitchell25 Walk On

Sorry, I had something to do with that, never again, it was a dick-move kinda

5. sammymitchell25

sammymitchell25 Walk On

I am very much in favor of this

6. greeeeeeeeg2003

greeeeeeeeg2003 Walk On

I am in the same boat. But think we should start with a clean slat this year ;)