PSN update (not looking that promising)

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by BRUCE80, Apr 25, 2011.

1. BRUCE80

BRUCE80 Let the dirt just shower over you..

Update: According to PCWorld, Sony spokesperson Satoshi Fukuoka stated that a "thorough investigation" is taking place and the company is currently unsure if personal information or credit card data has been stolen. Should that be the case, users will be notified, as one would expect. The fact that Sony doesn't know, however, isn't especially reassuring.
    Original Story: Since admittingthe ongoing PlayStation Network outage was the result of an "external intrusion" which prompted Sony to turn off the service, details have been few and far between. As of today, there is still no timeframe for when things will go back to normal.
    A statementon Saturday apologized for the inconvenience and explained what Sony is currently doing: "Our efforts to resolve this matter involve re-building our system to further strengthen our network infrastructure. Though this task is time-consuming, we decided it was worth the time necessary to provide the system with additional security."
    A new updatetoday didn't provide any additional information; most importantly, there is still no estimate being shared publicly for when service will resume. "As we previously noted, this is a time intensive process and we're working to get them back online quickly," wrote Sony's Patrick Seybold. "We'll keep you updated with information as it becomes available. We once again thank you for your patience."
    We're coming up on a full of week of downtime for PSN (and Qriocity). It's prevented at least two Capcom games from being played due to DRM that requires an active internet connection. Perhaps even more frustratingly, anyone seeking to redeem the free PC copy of Portal 2that comes with the PlayStation 3 version is unable to do so -- the process requires connecting the PS3 game to Steam, which itself requires access to PSN. So unless you were able to redeem it before PSN went down, you're stuck playing the game offline on PS3 until further notice.
    What's most concerning of all is that there has been no official word on whether or not users with billing information attached to their PSN accounts should be worried about it falling into the wrong hands. Hopefully an update will soon shed some light on that situation and offered up some sort of estimate for when PlayStation owners will be getting back online.
    On the bright side, today's Penny Arcade strip on the situation is pretty good.

2. tuco418

tuco418 Older and wiser than you

God this sucks
    I read that the hacktivist group Anonymous is responsible

3. mizzourah2006

mizzourah2006 Walk On

hopefully it is them because they probably wouldn't take credit card info from users. They seem to be out to get "the man" and not screw over users.

4. Jam.

Jam. FIU; Sun Belt Champions!

Definitely wouldn't put it past them...some of the shit they've done is incredible.

5. Paytonno1son

Paytonno1son Walk On

This has always been my favorite political stance. We are going after the man...at the expense of 70 million PSN account holders. GEY!

6. Paytonno1son

Paytonno1son Walk On

*Side note - If I read another reply to a blog post like this;

Screw you Sam. Most of us do go out, play sports and play with our families. But in the evening, we chose to unwind with a little sports gaming. I'm a little too old to go outside with my GI Joe's and have a imaginary war with the Decepticons. I really don't have the cash to head to magic mountain due to the economy right now. Thank you young Sam for your insight into the benefits of the PSN being down for 5 days...I feel so much more healthier now.

*Feel free to friend Sam on Facebook.

• Like Like x 8
  7. mizzourah2006

mizzourah2006 Walk On

true, lol. But to be honest I would rather have that then have them running around with millions of people's credit cards.

8. Iron Mickey

Iron Mickey I'd take her out for some casadias

LMFAO

9. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    I like you.

• Like Like x 1
  10. GSUtiger

GSUtiger GEAUX TIGERS!!

Be sure to watch CNN someone is going to drop Sam from the top of one of the rides at Magic Mountain..

• Like Like x 3
  11. tuco418

It looks like within the next seven days

Wednesday, April 27 (Tuesday, April 26, U.S.)

Sony released its most detailed statement to date on the hack and confirmed that personal information was stolen. The information included names and addresses for registered PlayStation Network and Qriocity users, along with their birth dates, e-mail addresses and other personal information.

"While there is no evidence at this time that credit card data was taken, we cannot rule out the possibility," Sony said. It advises customers to create credit card fraud alerts and keep a close eye on charges made to linked credit cards.

It also said the PlayStation Network and Qriocity would be back online "within a week."

Sony shares fell 2 percent on news of the potentially huge data leak, ending Wednesday trading in Tokyo at 2,366 yen, down 49 yen

http://www.pcworld.com/article/226393/playstation_network_hack_timeline.html

• Like Like x 1
  12. Iron Mickey

Come on damnit!

13. GSUtiger

GSUtiger GEAUX TIGERS!!

No PSN is making me have to spend more time with the wife doing husband stuff!!!

14. Mr2Bits

Mr2Bits 352

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  15. JFunk34

JFunk34 Friends may come and go, but enemies accumulate.

At least I am in Germany while this shit is going on. :p

16. tuco418

I am really getting pissed

This league is the only thing keeping me from going to the Dark Side (X-box)

17. JFunk34

BLASPHEMY! TRAITOR!

18. runthepound

runthepound Get on the Bus!

Same here.....my dad has a 360 that he would probably be willing to part with....CoC 4lyfe!

19. GSUtiger

GSUtiger GEAUX TIGERS!!

What he said!!!!!!!

20. JFunk34

Hey thanks to Anonymous I'm not gonna miss much of this season at all. I will be back in the states ready to go Friday morning.

21. Iron Mickey

Awesome! Make sure to get some pics of the sweet German strip clubs for me!

22. JFunk34

Strip clubs here are a little "different" than American strip clubs. You would go broke in a heartbeat.

23. Iron Mickey

Oh yea? Please explain...lol

24. Eyeke

Eyeke Swashbuckler

sorry JFunk I changed your password, I"m playing this season out. :)

25. JFunk34

Lap dances are 50 Euros. That's like $75. The beer is expensive and the strippers beg you to buy them 35 Euro wine. But they also don't really close. 5 o'clock is the "soft" time but they keep going until you leave. For that much money you can just go to one of the brothels and fore go all the bullshit.