Punt Return Chat

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by makinpropel, Sep 18, 2011.

1. makinpropel

makinpropel Go Big Red!

I have talked to a couple people about this, but I think it should be brought up for a group discussion.

When on punt return, do you guys believe it is sim to send back a guy who is in the middle of the line back 25 yards so that they can get the first guy that is close to the return man? I'm not talking when there is like one set up with a guy in front like ten yards (I don't think there is a formation like that anyway) but one where a guy from the middle of the return line backing up before the ball is snapped.

I'm not trying to call anyone out, but I know of at least three people in this dynasty that do this, so I would just like to get everyone else's input on this.

I think that is completely unsim and should be ruled out, because you will never see anyone in real life send their interior punt return lineman sprinting back 25 yards before the ball is snapped to block.

2. Michael Woodward

Michael Woodward Walk On

Yeah, I've seen this before and I think its pretty unsim too because, as you said, you'll never see it. However, I haven't really noticed it ever helping much so I've never really brought it up.

3. QBKILLAR

QBKILLAR If you only win one, please let it be Ole Miss.

I think it helps pick up a couple of yards. I'd say just ban it cause it's not sim. Just my thoughts.

4. Abominatrix

Abominatrix Walk On

It naturally makes the defense more susceptible to the fake punt set, especially the fake punt run up the middle, so I don't see the issue. Seems like a tactical decision between better punt returns and the ability to stop the fake/block the punt. Taking that defender out makes it 7 blockers vs. 5 defenders. My assumption is that we don't see it in real college football because special teams coordinators would laugh at you while the fullback runs down the field free for awhile. Just my 2 cents.

5. makinpropel

makinpropel Go Big Red!

None of us fake punts. If you want to stop the guy, just block him at the line, like you are supposed to in punt returns.

6. Michael Woodward

Michael Woodward Walk On

Yeah, I have to agree with Tom, that is a pretty lame argument. Not many of us fake punts and I know damn well that it really doesn't matter how many blockers there are compared to defenders because if its an important play, one of the defenders will get olay'd and will hit the fullback at the L.O.S. I'm also highly doubtful that any coach would risk blowing field position on a fake punt run just because one guy is no longer at the line.

7. makinpropel

makinpropel Go Big Red!

Also, on that example, the guy is standing up, and is 2 yards off the ball, heads straight right. You guys are taking the guy that should be in a 3 point stance, and run him back at least 15 yards, the play happens in front of him, so he can easily come up and make the play if someone did in fact fake.

8. Abominatrix

Abominatrix Walk On

Well, just went into practice mode (Michigan vs. Michigan) and ran 50 fake punt run plays. I ran 25 with the LB lined up as the offensive left defensive tackle (the one further away from the fullback) dropped back 15-20 yards, and 25 with no changes.

On average, with 5 people in the box I ran for 9.20 yards (max 27).
    On average, with 6 people in the box I ran for 6.12 yards (max 16).
    Both sets of 25 had 13 plays that went for 5 yards or more.

Of note, the "safety" at the strong side end of the line almost always got double teamed when the linebacker dropped out of the box. Not so with everyone there.

Regardless, if everyone in the dynasty doesn't want this done, then it won't be done, but this seems counterable to me. Arguing that one of the defenders will get free just because it's "an important play" makes no sense to me. Can't really knock it unless you try it.

9. Michael Woodward

Michael Woodward Walk On

Well I've found that practice mode and 4th down in a dyn game are quite diff. And abs scrambling everywhere can be countered but do we want that?

• Like Like x 1
  10. Abominatrix

Abominatrix Walk On

Yea, so we need to ask that exact question: "Do we want that?". From the information I'm gathering, 4 people think its fine, while the 3 in this thread think its not. 4 being me and the three people who QB says do it. I'm assuming I'm not one of them because I haven't played QB yet.

11. makinpropel

makinpropel Go Big Red!

The three that do it that I have seen: You, Roy, and Money.

12. Michael Woodward

Michael Woodward Walk On

Well my rule has always been if its not done in real life, don't do it on the game soooo......

13. Abominatrix

Abominatrix Walk On

So we're good to go? :p (All in good fun, it's clear that I won't be able to convince anyone to change their opinion, you feel how you feel)

14. Michael Woodward

Michael Woodward Walk On

That wasn't from the middle. That to me looked like Punt BL return on the game.

15. Abominatrix

Abominatrix Walk On

So is moving one of the outside guys on the line far back OK? I honestly thought the issue was moving someone back to block, moreso than which player we were moving. I'm fine with disallowing the middle "rushing" guys from setting up back there, as long as we still have the freedom to move other guys.

16. Michael Woodward

Michael Woodward Walk On

I wouldn't care if you moved a guy who was designed to go back and block (one of the guys on the gunner) or the guy in the punt bl return that is supposed to drop back. If they aren't supposed to be back there in front of the return man, don't put them there.

17. pnc

pnc Walk On

I missed this somehow, but I agree its not sim and shouldnt be done.

18. QBKILLAR

QBKILLAR If you only win one, please let it be Ole Miss.

Your saying I say that someone does it. I havent said anyone does it I just said it wasnt sim. I dont care either way.

19. areohhwhy

areohhwhy Walk On

okey doke.. noted..

20. BigKing

BigKing Enforcer of Freedom

Agree