Purdue avenges loss to UCLA with 31-28 victory

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by HotRod, Oct 1, 2010.

1. HotRod

HotRod You ain't bout dat life!

Featured Threads:
    Purdue avenges loss to UCLA with 31-28 victory

The Purdue Boilermakers were chomping at the bit to get some payback for their only loss of the 2011 season which ended up costing them a NC berth. This year Purdue traveled out to Los Angeles for another shot at the Bruins.

Things started shaky for the Boilermakers as the Bruins got on the board within the first 50 seconds of the game by way of a 74 yard TD connection from Richard Brehaut to Morrell Presley. Purdue could not get anything going on offense, and their 1st quarter looked eerily similar to their first meeting with UCLA. Finally in the 2nd quarter Purdue got some life. The defense did a good job of stalling UCLA drives and keeping them from putting anymore points on the board in the half. Heisman winner Caleb Terbush finally got things cooking hitting several different receivers and finally connecting with TE Gabe Holmes for a 16 yd TD to tie the game. Purdue added a field goal at the end of the half to take the lead 10-7.

The third quarter was very quiet as both defenses tightened up. UCLA forced a couple turnovers with Purdue threatening, first an interception, then a big forced fumble with their backs to their end zone. They returned the fumble deep into Purdue territory and on offense ended up getting the ball into the endzone early in the 4th quarter regaining the lead 14-10. No too much later after another TerBush interception, they score again on a 18 yard TD run by Jordan James. The Bruins looked to be in control 21-10. However, Purdue would not get down on themselves, and TerBush went back to doing what he does best. He led a quick 1 minute drive capped off with a perfect 7 yard fade to WR Charles Torwudzo. Purdue failed the 2 pt attempt so they were down by 21-16. On the next UCLA possession, the Bruins worked their way into Purdue territory and were already in FG position when they ran another toss to the left which the Boilermakers had some trouble with. The play was executed well with James gaining the first down and more. CB Josh Johnson caught up to him and stripped the ball and Purdue recovered. This was a huge play as UCLA was running clock and another score would have put the game away. This was the beginning of some late game craziness.

Purdue took their time working down the field to not give UCLA a lot of time left to score. With 58 seconds left in the game Freshman RB John Patrick pounded in a TD from 5 yards out and also ran in the 2 pt conversion to put Purdue back on top 24-21. This lead ended up being short lived. UCLA got some big pass plays to get to midfield. They then dial up another pass play and somehow WR Jerry Johnson absolutely burnt his defensive counterpart to score a 56 yard TD and UCLA was back up 28-24 with 32 seconds left. Game over right? WRONG! With the ball on the 20 yard line TerBursh first hits WR Jon Moore on a perfect throw over a UCLA defender for a 41 yard game. Purdue then hurries up to the line for another play. TerBush throws a pass to Freshman WR Reggie Booth who catches the ball amidst 3 UCLA defenders then breaks toward the endzone. He gets a great block from fellow WR OJ Ross and scores the TD for a 14 second 2 play, 80 yd drive. Now the game is over right? WRONG AGAIN! UCLA, with 18 seconds left in the game, took advantage of a prevent defense to gain a huge chunk of yards on their first play. They then get another big play on the next pass, next think you know they are in FG position. UCLA had about a 39 yard kick to win the game. With one timeout remaining, Purdue uses it to ice the kicker. This proved to be a good move at K Jeff Lockes hit it wide left giving the Boilermakers the 31-28 win!

Caleb Terbush was the player of the game going 30-42, 560 yds, 3 TD, 3 INT. WR OJ Ross had 7 catches for 151 yds. Jon Moore had 6 catches for 142 yds, and Eric Williams had 5 catches for 110 yds.

For UCLA, RB Jordan James rushed for 111 yards on 14 carries and had 2 TD. Brehaut went 12-20, 358 yds, 2 TD, INT. Morrell Presley had 3 catches for 109 yds, and a TD.

2. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Good win Rod.

wonder why the D always seems to break down late... Or do you think by then we are just "warmed up."

3. HotRod

Featured Threads:
    Well I was surprised my D held him to 7 pts in the 1st half. I have the most unaware bunch of players on the defense ever. It showed in the 2nd half when we couldn't stop anything.

As far as UCLA's D, I dunno, our offense was doing well from the 2nd qtr on, bad turnovers ruined scoring opportunities for us.

4. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

bruce must be pissed! Crazy game....that would infuriate me!

5. HotRod

Featured Threads:
    Yeah Rusty wasn't too happy. What's funny is, before I scored that last TD I was feeling the same way. It was ridiculous.

6. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

another 500 yard passing game?

7. BRUCE80

BRUCE80 Let the dirt just shower over you..

We just couldnt get any pressure and couldnt cover man or zone. It takes me back to NCAA 09 where it took a turnover to get a stop.

Anything over the middle vs us is money. I have a better faster D and we play worse...go figure..we are young.

The end of the game was just lame no matter who was going to end up winning.

I am for the iced kicker being sent the way of the covered wagon...just lame you cant even see the meter or aim...make the screen shake or something...

Hotrod most likely put up close to 200 of his yards in the last three minutes after we fumbled trying to close out the game...that was just a killer.

GG HR, way to stick with it. It was just one of those games and whoever ran out of time was going to lose.

Wish it would have went to overtime, that would have been a good way to end that game, instead a senior decent K cant see the uprights!....

8. Blaza

Blaza In Arsene Wenger I Trust

[​IMG]

9. jfosh

jfosh Super

gg fellas...great read.