Purdue keeps on chugging, awaits ASU

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by Hellisan, Jun 29, 2009.

1. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Purdue keeps on chugging, awaits ASU

Yeah I know, nobody gives a rat's ass anymore. But it was a good game so I'll summarize nonetheless:

Penn State traveled to West Lafayette to take their best shot. Just like the last time these two played, Purdue had a nice game plan early on and jumped out to a lead. On offense we were pounding away with Jonathan Campbell but mixing in some big passes too. A particular Penn State bugaboo when playing us has been stopping the third down pass, especially if it's third and long. And that was the case again here. Campbell scored from 3 and then freshman WR Dominique Watkins (the force is strong with him) scored from 7 yards out on a quick hitter.

As usual, the Lions clawed their way back into the game. They scored on an 8-yard run by Hayes and kicked a short field goal to get to within four points. We started trying to pound the shit out of their defense again, but then had an opportunity to surprise with a long bomb to Trenton Parham (38 yards) and took the lead again. With 52 seconds left, Penn State staged an incredible drive in return... They were patient, running it and then hitting a long one down the left side to the 1-yard line before Crews scored from a yard out.

Our game plan on defense was to pressure Penn State like we never had before. Normally our calling card is mixing it up, sneaking in a blitz here or there but mostly playing good coverages and stopping the run. We wanted them to be convinced we were coming on every play so that when we dropped into a max coverage it would surprise the hell out of them. The "fruits" of our game plan, both good and bad, appeared in that second half. We forced four turnovers but also allowed big plays. In the end, the difference was the turnovers and third down conversions. Landry threw five picks and also had 2-3 passes that looked like he was completely flustered, missing receivers on short routes.

The straw that broke the camel's back was that after we scored on a 15-yard touchdown pass, we surprised landry with a CB in the flat, and Eric Buttles picked him off and returned it 46 yards for a score. Those two plays took it from 24-24 to 38-24, and we were able to maintain the distance till the end.

JMS was knocking his defense but they were tough! Yards were even. It took a breakdown - a 42-yard run by Jonathan Campbell with three minutes to go - to get us above the 3 yards per carry mark. Good game Jay

2. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

45 points.....I fired everyone.

My observations of Heisman difficulty is that it took away the stars and evened up all the teams.....it juiced the defenses up so even your shitty players play good most of the times. This is why I think Helli is all of a sudden beating everyone now. I think if we moved back to All American.....Purdue's rating would hit them harder and Helli would struggle......Helli was always a great player but his team and his recruiting difficulties held him back. I really dont think his team is that much better then previous years. As soon as we went to Heisman...I don't think Helli has lost a game........ponder that thought.

Basically Helli would have probably won more championships if we played Heisman all along or if he had a powerhouse team like the rest of us.

3. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

That's a pretty good theory I suppose. And it was 48 points.

I dunno. I have never been the type that wanted the highest OVR players. I just need the ratings at particular things. Like block shedding. I'd bet my starters on D have the highest average BSH per player of any team in our league despite being kind of blah OVR wise. If you can't block us, how can you consistently beat us? Just like my offensive line, they have the ratings I want, even though the OVRs aren't high. I really don't care what my team rating is I care how they play. (y)

And don't forget, when I won my titles I had a totally elite QB and my defense was better OVR wise then too. It wasn't easy to recruit but we had some real good players.

4. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

But is it true that your haven't lost a game on Heisman??

While Block Shedding is nice and all you still need strength and tackling skills......you can shed all the blocks in the world but if you cant tackle, pursuit, or cover then blah..

5. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Yeah I mean, I recruit for all that stuff. I have a 2-star MLB that doesn't have great OVR rating (83 as a junior) but is the fastest true MLB in the nation and has 99 play recognition! There's not a single rating he's not solid at. I just think the "OVR" isn't a real great way of computing a player's worth to you... that's all...

I think I've lost on Heisman a couple times man. And don't forget this game was extremely close till the end when you caved mentally (lol jk). I've never even come close to blowing you out. I beat Ryno twice by like a combined 2 points. No idea how he didn't win a title he gives me fits. I had to force a fumble on a kickoff return - Manually! - to beat ASU last year.

6. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

The game was close but I knew in the back of my head that if you needed to score you were going to unless you made a dumb mistake. I couldn't make a stop when I needed it. I really think it is just bad play calling on my part and very good play calling on defense by you on certain plays. I mean I felt like you knew when I was running and passing. My best play call was on 3rd and goal and you rolled out all the way to the right looking for and open receiver forever until you finally threw it away.

I just made some terrible choices on some passes on Offense b/c no-one was open at all. Your guys only dropped one pick last night which is huge...we all are victim of the dropped ints....yesterday your guys had glue on their gloves.

fuck me......lets play forza so I can ram you off the course!

7. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

I think I know what you like to call at this point dude. I know you like to post that you've changed your defense or this or that, and I better beware. I really just feel like we've played each other enough times that we know what the other one is gonna do_Or how the other thinks... . And on top of all of that, I did get lucky. 3rd and 17, I threw one up to Parham and he had a height advantage. he never drops anything despite having a pretty pedestrian catch rating. Buckles dropped 2 passes. We had 8 deflections to your 3. So we dropped a couple lol.

One exception to all of this was the last second drive at the end of the first half. I thought you were gonna throw and you ran it like three times. So then I thought Ok he's going for field goal range. That's when you dropped the bomb on me to the one. So you do surprise me occasionally, hehehe. Fucking Carlson! I will be glad when he's gone. Even if you have a team of players with 99 speed, as long as there's nobody named Jordan Carlson I'll be much happier!

8. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

One thing I was doing that you struggled with... .Remember last year, how I'd call cover 3 and you threw it into the seam... Got two TDs on me that way. Well this year I put the "robber" guy in Man on that slot guy, I think I picked you twice that way.

9. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

LOL....Yeah I love that guy and decided he needs to get the ball. Bridges was the man yesterday...he had 8 catches.

Defense: If you checked the team stats we have the most sacks in the league.....I have been putting major pressure on everyone and I felt like in the beginning of that game you knew that and were throwing short quick passes to negate that which pissed me off!! I went away from it a bit but said fuck it and kept doing it b/c that's our strength.......in the end it didnt work out. Landry played well and made some great throws....his picks were the controllers fault!!

See you in 2010 Helli......I have to play with who?? I dont even remember my team for next year!!

10. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

And that is why you have won 2 BCS Bowls in a row so far and I am betting on a 3-peat....smart.

11. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

lol. Hang in there, I have a feeling that you, me, fosh, ramirez, and bruce can make another interesting season out of this. I gotta play more teams in conference next year!

12. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

well I woulda tried it last year except the focking SS was slow! Now both my safeties can hang with WRs at least for a time. Talk at you later I gotta go eat lunch.

13. jfosh

jfosh Super

ASU will have the last word on this years championship. They play in the final game of the season.

Interesting note about Heisman though.

14. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Yep, but they have to go through you first. After last year's game, I'm worried for them about that game lol