Purdue manages to eek out a win in Happy Valley

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by Hellisan, Apr 5, 2009.

1. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Purdue manages to eek out a win in Happy Valley

#3 Purdue (5-0) @ #17 Penn State (5-1)

Purdue somehow survived in an ugly game where neither team played anywhere near their best football. Trailing 27-17, Penn State got to within three points on a 79-yard touchdown pass from N. Robinson to C. Bryant with 2:05 remaining in the game, then played good defense. They intercepted Anthony Robinson as the crowd in Happy Valley went wild, sensing a comeback.

Purdue then managed some defense of their own. On first down defensive end Robert Diggs busted through and dropped Robinson for a 7-yard loss. On 2nd and 17, Purdue middle linebacker James Lumpkin guessed "wr screen" correctly, dipped behind the blockers and stepped right in front of the WR (we practiced this all week), and Robinson had to take the sack, this time a 10-yard loss as Robert Diggs got his second sack in as many plays. Options dwindling, the Nittany Lions threw up a desperation pass into the seam that was intercepted by Fred Green to win the game.

If you were to tally up the breaks, Purdue was the clear beneficiary of luck in this football game. And that, gentlemen, was how the game was won. Hey, not every painting can be a Picasso.

Penn State dropped interceptions throughout the game, including two that had chances to be returned for a touchdown. Purdue dropped a few of their own, but also made them when it mattered most. In all, the offenses on both teams were giving the defense chances to make plays (8 batted balls for Purdue, 6 for Penn State) and Purdue was the team that made the plays on defense.

Anthony Robinson had his worst game in quite awhile thanks to the way Penn State played. Despite the glaring mistakes, there were some things Purdue did very well. For one, they ran the ball.

Early on, Jonathan Campbell was getting stuffed on each play; however, he was able to break a 78-yarder to put Purdue on top late in the first quarter. He ended up with 185 yards on 33 carries, and late in the game he was consistently breaking through the first line of defense to move the chains.

[​IMG]
    J. Campbell breaks away to put Purdue on top 7-0

Conversely, Penn State was held to 23 carries for 29 yards as a team. Alphonso Crews gained 59 yards on 19 carries, but eventually the Purdue defense seemed to have him under wraps.

"I'm more confused on how we came out on top than anything," said Coach Hellisan. "Disappointed in our reads and what we did on offense as a whole today. We'll have to go back to the drawing board and just thank heavens that we were lucky today."

2. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Just a quick note... wanted to thank JMS for the fair-play thing he did for me early in the game. My third possession (after 2 punts) I finally threw the ball for an obvious first down, got it by like a yard. It says 4th and 1. Not even inches! 4th and 1! I'm well in my own zone and he said o.k. go ahead and take the first down. He backed his defense up and let me get the yard. They weren't gonna review it and there was no option for me to either. No idea how it was spotted that badly but it was a horrible call.

Maybe he felt guilty for all those years of 2-3 Darryl Clark 1-yard touchdown plunges per game.... well, the reason is no matter, I appreciate the good sportsmanship and I now owe you one. Yes, it came back to bite you on that drive, sorry bout that.

3. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

You dont owe me anything......was a nice pass and a incorrect spot by about 2 yards.

I clipped that play.....althought it is a fast clip.

Video highlights are rendering right now!

4. BRUCE80

BRUCE80 Let the dirt just shower over you..

Great sportsmanship Jms, but its also part of the game. Human error and all...was it sweet Ed Hochuli?

[​IMG]

5. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Translation: In a million years I never would have done the same thing. :D

The other day my buddy's controller was getting stuck and another guy in our (other) league declined a couple penalties because he could tell he was having problems, it's that kinda stuff that is really impressive to me.

6. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

If it was a Pac-10 guy.......maybe different story!!

j/k!

7. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    hahahahaha jms you joker u! :)

8. BRUCE80

BRUCE80 Let the dirt just shower over you..

Just last season I saved you a FG scuz...how soon we forget.

9. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

lol (8888888)