Purdue takes down Rutgers in OT Thriller!

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by HotRod, Dec 17, 2010.

1. HotRod

HotRod You ain't bout dat life!

Featured Threads:
    This one was one of the marquee games of the week and for good reason. Rutgers fresh off their National Championship, didn't have to wait too long for their first great test of the season. One th other side we had Purdue, coming off a disappointing season in which they didn't win the Big 10 after two straight titles. The Boilermakers were amped up to begin the season with a big win.

Rutger got the ball first, and had an efficient drive moving the ball down the field with ease. Daniel Sims scored the TD with a 4 yard scramble into the endzone. Purdue answered with a nice drive of their own, taking rough 2:30 to tie the game up on 7 yard fade from Lee Sanders to Charles Torwudzo. That was it for the scoring in the 1st quarter as the defenses tightened up for one of the few times in the game.

The second quarter saw Rutgers regain the lead on a 24 yard TD pass from Sims to Jay Thomas. On the subsequent drive, Purdue threw a pick off of the pressure from the Rutgers front 4. The Scarlet Knights were unable to capitalize on the interception, so Purdue breathed a sigh of relief. At the end of the half Purdue put together an excellent 2 min drill driving down 70+ yards. Sanders threw his 2nd TD pass of the game finding Reggie Booth up the middle for a 22 yard strike. The game was 14-14 at the half.

The Boilermakers were fortunate to end the half with the score as they got the ball to start the 2nd half. This allowed them to gain their first lead of the game behind a balance of run and pass. After John Patrick got Purdue up to the goaline, backup Nathan McIntyre punched it in to give his team the 21-14 lead. After a couple stops by each defenses, Rutgers got a big 70 yd TD pass from Sims to Brandom Coleman as the Purdue DB misplayed the pass. The Scarlet Knight defense forced a 3 and out thanks to 2 drops by Purdue receivers one of which may have been a TD. The next Rutgers possession, Purdue gave up another big pass play, this time a 52 yard TD.

At this point the Purdue secondary coach wasted no time to chew out his secondary. The Boilermaker offense must've been listening in too as this charged them up. They wasted very little time to score taking a little over one minute. John Patrick scored on a 32 yard run to tie the game up at 28. The pep talk to the secondary did not fully kick in as the Purdue D was unable to get key 3rd down stops. Rutgers scored to take the lead on a 29 yd pass from Sims to Nate Little. Rutger was now up 35-28. The Scarlet Knight D faced the same fate as their counterpart, watching Purdue throw it down their throats to move down the field with ease. Purdue tried to run it in on the goaline, but was stuffed. The very next play the OC called a quick pass out of a 2 TE formation. It worked brilliantly as Sanders found TE Lukas Dawson for the game tying TD. At this point there were 3:45 left in the game. Plenty of time for another score or two. However that never happened as both defenses saved their best effort for the end of regulation making huge plays to deny the offenses an opportunity to win the game. After Rutgers stopped Purdue a final time in the 4th the Boilermakers punted and Rutgers took the knee to take the game into OT.

Rutgers won the toss and unsurprisingly chose to play defense first. After stuffing the first run on first down they then sacked the QB on 2nd down forcing a 3rd and 19. This was a huge play as Purdue's kicker cannot kick more than a 20 yd FG. Thanks to great blocking, Sanders had plenty of time to survey the field to allow his WRs to get open. He finds Torwudzo for the 25 yd gain. It's now first and goal Purdue. Rutgers stuffs the 1st down run. On second down Sanders scrambles to score what was thought to be a touchdown however there was some laundry on the field. Holding call on Purdue. This pushes them back and now they had a long 2nd and goal. Purdue dials up a wheel route for Jon Moore. Moore slips by the corner and Sanders throws a perfect pass into the corner of the endzone for the TD. It's now Rutgers time to respond. 1st down they get a 4 yds run. 2nd down they decide to pass and complete it for the first down however Coleman gets hit by SS Jimmy Weeks and fumbles. LB John Keenan recovers and Purdue gets the huge win!

Purdue 42
    Rutgers 35

Key Stats

Purdue
    Lee Sanders: 26-37, 407 yds, 4 TD, INT
    John Patrick: 21 carries, 113 yds, TD
    Charles Torwudzo: 9 catches, 132 yds, TD

Rutgers
    Daniel Sims: 17-29, 383 yds, 4 TD, INT; rush TD
    Brandon Coleman: 3 catches, 119 yds, TD
    Nate Little: 3 catches, 114 yds, 2 TD

2. jfosh

jfosh Super

nice win hotrod...last years title game participants are both 0-1....Big Ten standing tall in week 1

3. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

u might want to double cover this guy....Charles Torwudzo

4. HotRod

Featured Threads:
    double team him if u want, i'll just throw to the guy u left open. ;)

5. Blaza

Blaza In Arsene Wenger I Trust

Nice win HotRod. You backed up all that shit you were talking last night when you were saying how Mo wasn't shit, he sucked, was a bum, and you were gonna fuck his bitch-ass up, etc.

• Like Like x 1
  6. HotRod

Featured Threads:
    l
    lmao!

7. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

he was running his mouth a bit with the absence of the commish and mo!;)

8. BRUCE80

BRUCE80 Let the dirt just shower over you..

Anyone can and will beat anyone at anytime in this league.

9. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

i cant beat HOTROD...:(

10. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    Lol torperdo was catching shit with 3 guys around him. He was Mossing me all game.

We did better in the second half containing him. But I felt I lost because I didn't run enough. I probably ran 3 times from the 2nd half and OT. Ugh. It hurt my senior WR getting blasted n losing the ball like that. And I lost my freshman TE for 8 weeks. :(

11. HotRod

Featured Threads:
    98 catch in traffic rating, lol