Purdue wins nail biter at ASU, 33-31

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by Hellisan, Apr 28, 2009.

1. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Purdue wins nail biter at ASU, 33-31

Question: Coach Hellisan, how did you just win that game against Arizona State?

Hellisan: "No fucking clue. Next question."

The short answer: Luck. Another little longer answer: ASU has losing games in heartbreaking fashion down to a science at this point.

This was an all-time gut wrencher for me, so I'm going to recap:

ASU receives kickoff to start the game. Moves down the field easily, and scores. 7-0 ASU

Purdue sputters and has to punt. ASU gets careless and Josh Morris intercepts Murray. Purdue moves down the field on the strength of a 24-yard pass and a few short runs to kick a 53-yard field goal into the wind. 7-3 ASU

Again, ASU easily down the field on a barrage of 10-yard passes and scores on a 2-yard keeper by Murray. 14-3 ASU

Purdue goes back to their gameplan of pounding it right at Lance Wright. It works until a holding penalty helps stall the drive. Purdue kicks another field goal, this time with the wind. 14-6 ASU

On to what I think might have been the biggest moment of the game if you look at it from a pure logic standpoint. ASU gets the ball with enough time remaining in the first half to score (remember, we get the ball after half) and after completing some passes and moving down the field we managed to hold them to a 2-yard rush, an incomplete pass, and then sacked Murray for a 13-yard loss on an attempted halfback screen to force them to punt to us. We didn't manage to get any points on the board before the end of the half, but it kept us within striking distance. Purdue CB Michael Adams intercepted Murray before the half on a moonball attempt. *************Purdue received the kickoff to start the second half. The Boilers matriculated the ball down the field on a series of short passes and mixed in a 17-yard run by the fullback and a 26-yard run by Jonathan Campbell to finish off the drive. Twas a thing of beauty as he punched it right up the middle against the soft-as-a-baby's-butt ASU defense and cut it outside after catching a great block. The 2-point conversion failed. 14-12, ASU

It looked like Purdue might have a chance at a stop on the subsequent drive, after a 7-yard sack opened the drive. Murray threw a 4-yard pass then completed a 15-yarder on third and 3rd and 13 and they were off to the races. Man defense, drag to ham, TD. Rinse, wash, repeat. 21-12, ASU

Purdue came out ready to hammer. ASU decided to go cover zero. Audible, deep bomb to OUR Ham, Trenton ParHAM, 55 yards to the 2 yard line, scored three plays later on a fullback off tackle. 21-19, ASU

The momentum swing. Williams Sanders kicks off with the wind and boots it 8 yards into the end zone. ASU grabs it, and decides to run. Cornerback Josh Morris swings in behind the returner and roundhouses the ball loose from the back side. For those scoring at home, that's two huge plays by Morris. Special teamer T.J. Freeman picks up the ball , hurdles one defender and goes for the touchdown. Campbell bulls in for the two point conversion. 27-21, Purdue

Purdue makes a bid for an early drive stop, but can't seal the deal as Murray dekes the Purdue defense into coming up to try and stop him and throws it over their head for a 30-yard gain, then makes a great read and throws a 24-yard strike to his TE Singletary on a blown coverage by Purdue. 28-27, ASU

With 6:15 to go in the game, and knowing that we couldn't stop that ASU offense, we decided to pound it some more at the babydevils. Four yards, two yards, 10 yards on the draw for a first down. Rinse, wash, repeat and we were into field goal range with about three minutes to go. The Devils made a great call on third and short and we didn't make the correct read. Pass broken up. Field goal. 30-28, Purdue

The plan at this point was to make a stop early in the drive obviously. Murray had other ideas, pulling another rope-a-dope with Ham while threatening the line of scrimmage for a 21-yard gain. Clint Rogers followed it up with a nine and a half yard gain. Purdue called a timeout after this play, 1:35 remaining. The next play they got the first down despite an all-out rush up the middle, then bled some time off the clock while we saved our last timeouts. After we held them to a 1-yard gain, ASU decided to go pass. OLB Adam Coley stepped in front of a PA pass to the speedy TE but it bounced out of his hands. Ham was wide open in the middle of the field. Murray went to the not so sure-handed Ham on a 10-yard hitch on the next play but Michael Adams was able to get close enough to encourage the drop. Timeout (1 remaining). ASU Field goal. 31-30, ASU

50 seconds remaining. Dallas Potts just missed going for a big return on the kickoff, as he bobbled the kickoff, picked it up and just missed a big hole, getting to the 33 yard line. Anthony Robinson found a nearby phone booth, donned his superman cape. 10-yard pass to J. Campbell. 12-yard pass to D. Lee. 16-yard pass to Campbell, down to the 29 yard line. There was some serious strategy going on in this game, to the point where I could tell ASU didn't want to let us center the ball on the next run. we managed to do it anyway, reducing the effects of the icing. We used our timeout with 2 seconds remaining, they iced us, it didn't matter. 33-31, Purdue, the luckiest and most resourceful team in all the land, somehow wins this game.

We'll need some forensics experts to figure out how.

2. jfosh

jfosh Super

Cant be all luck....Purdue double dipped the pac-10 in one night...great teams find ways to win.

3. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

Purdue on its way to a repeat NC game appearance........another first.

2 tough games down. Has beaten PSU 2 times in a row and Oklahoma State.....well is OKlahoma State.

Repeat???

4. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

You will have a hell of a lot of say in it.... That's for sure. I think you guys are for real again.... And Steelah always gives me a game. I struggle to run the ball against guys like him and ASU because they are CONSTANTLY clicking back and forth to different defenders and it honestly distracts the fock outta me... I always end up having to put it up 30 times against Steelah. Although we will see if that is the case against a much lesser team than he runs with in the other league.

5. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    helli u need some swagger juice :)

6. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Maybe some Old Spice? :D