Pushing for Paydirt Coaches Corner(S3)

Discussion in 'Pushing for Paydirt' started by Bulldog, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Bulldog

Bulldog Coach Richt is my Dawg!

I will be interviewing a coach each week until the off-season. Pushing for Paydirt

• Like Like x 3
  2. Bulldog

Interviewer: Bulldog
    [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

TCU_Stadium_100610.jpg

Coach: Philstyle3005

You start the season off at Chapel Hill against the #17 ranked North Carolina Tar Heels. How are you getting your players prepared for such a tough first game? No different from any other game. Take a lot of reps in practice, keep the guys focused, and only worry about this game. It's going to be a tough test, but we'll have our guys ready.

North Carolina doesn't really have a sure bet at Quarterback but they have a great running back duo in Romar Morris and TJ Logan. How do you plan to stop the run? And if you stop the run do you feel like your chances to win this game are good? We have two of the best defensive ends in the country, along with preseason All American Davion Pierson at Defensive Tackle. Carolina will have to throw the ball to beat us, as will every other team in the country. If we force turnovers, we win the game. If we don't, it's going to be a battle.

Quarterback Trevone Boykin returns for his senior season do you think he will lead the Horned Frogs to a BIG XII championship or possibly even a National Championship this season? Having Boykin back is huge. Boykin will lead this team to a Big 12 Championship long as we don't have to worry about other coaches having a small window of availability to play games like last season which cost us an easy championship. As far as a National Championship, we'll know more about that possibility after our first two games. If we knock off both UNC and Florida St., we have to be the favorite.

Your schedule gets no easier after this weeks game in Chapel Hill, next week you have to travel yet again but this time to a very hostile Doak Campbell Stadium(FSU). Are you at all worried maybe your players will be tired or injured after such a big game this week? We always hope that both teams are injury free, but things happen. If someone gets injured, we'll adjust and figure it out. As far as being tired goes, our team is in great condition and I don't look for fatigue to be any type of a factor, especially this early in the season. But right now, we're focused on North Carolina. We'll start to look at Florida St. at 12:01 AM Sunday Morning.

Running back BJ Catalon, another Heisman candidate on your roster(Trevone Boykin is the other), looks to be very good this year. Do you try and balance the play calling or favor one of the two? Catalon is a great running back and last season, Boykin's ability to run the ball really opened up a lot of holes for him. I look to do the same thing as last year. Both guys had success because they fed off one another. The defense knows they can't stop them both so they had to choose. It was a pick your poison type season. That being said, we're going to take what the defense gives us.

Any smack talk for fuzzy(week 2) or Gravity(week 3)? No trash talk, I have respect for both of these coaches as we've faced off several times. They know what to expect from us, and we know what to expect from them. Should be two great games.

Schedule
    TCU schedule s3.PNG

Prediction: 14-0(8-0), I see TCU winning it all this year. They have a very good looking roster and coach Philstyle3005 is a very good player.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2013
    • Like Like x 4
  3. Bulldog

4. Baron

Baron "I'm PFP's reckoning."

Philstyle is a communist.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Bulldog

hahaha

6. Bulldog

In week 4 we sit down with coach fuzzyl0gic and get the inside scoop on how things are going in Chapel Hill and how he thinks the season will shape up for the Tar Heels.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Rough start with a loss to Wisconsin but you win the next week against TCU. Do you feel that first loss was just week 1 jitters or what? Yes I do somewhat. That week one loss was very disappointing one. We made some adjustments on the roster for the TCU game, and the lights finally came on for Trubisky. If we play like that all year we'll have no problem with the remaining schedule.

Quarterback Mitch Trubisky is looking pretty good for a Sophomore. He has 473 yards, 3 TDs and completing 61% of his passes. Do you feel like he can get the job done this season or are you still trying to find your star at Quarterback? We have a stable of QBs that could all the get the job done, but Trubisky did lead the team to it's first CCG in a long time. He looked good in the offseason, and his arm is more accurate and powerful than ever this year. If he can cut down on the mistakes from last year, we have a solid QB on our hands who can be a leader.

Great start for running back Romar Morris. He has 130 yards on 31 carries and 2 TDs through his first game. Do you think he will have to have a big year for your team to be successful? Romar Morris has NFL written all over him, and we feel like this will be his breakout year. He has a very explosive and quick first step, and he can be quite a load to bring down. He is still returning punts and kicks for us well, much like Giovanni Bernard did. Trubisky loves checking down to him as well, they had a lot of chemistry last year.

Tough road ahead, you have @ Ohio State, Georgia, @ NC State, @ VT and Miami left. How do you prepare your players week in and week out for such tough games? We take it one week at a time, and plan for each opposing team accordingly. We will continue to try and play great defense, and drain the clock with smart football on offense, limiting our opponent's opportunities. We had VT and Miami's number last year, I know they'll be gunning for revenge. It would also be nice, for once, to just kick the teeth out of in-state rival NC State.

Who is your star on offense and why? WR TJ Thorpe is the most talented guy on the team, without question. He has amazing speed and hands, and an uncanny ability to run over defenders and squirm out of would be tackles. Look for him to put up big numbers this season.

Who is your best player on defense and why? OLB Shakeel Rashad - he could play many positions on any defense in America. He has amazing quickness, and can tackle and hit like a young Ray Lewis. He also has the coverage abilities of a corner. Truly a unique talent, with 11 tackles and 4 TFL on the season so far.

Your prediction? I think we finish 13-1 this year, I'm high on this group of guys. I feel like we have what it takes to make it to the CCG and finish the job this time against Clemson or FSU.

Anything you want to say to the league? Baron is a pleb.

Schedule
    Week 1 [​IMG][​IMG] Lost 32-35
    Week 2 [​IMG][​IMG] Won 38-17
    Week 4 [​IMG][​IMG]
    Week 5 [​IMG][​IMG]
    Week 6 [​IMG][​IMG]
    Week 7 [​IMG][​IMG]
    Week 9 [​IMG][​IMG]
    Week 10 [​IMG][​IMG]
    Week 11 [​IMG][​IMG]
    Week 12 [​IMG][​IMG]
    Week 13 [​IMG][​IMG]
    Week 14 [​IMG][​IMG]

My Prediction: Only loses one more game and that's to Miami week 13.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
    • Like Like x 3
  7. Bulldog

Week 5 features coach gwill and the Oklahoma State Cowboys.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Three huge wins in the first 3 weeks. How did you get it done and do you think this is the year the Cowboys win it all? How we got it done was by simply executing. A big problem we had last year was execution and finishing games out. We preach day in and day out "Someone step up and make a play". Three times this year we've needed someone to step up and make a play and three times someone has. Against Miami, it was the linebackers shooting the gaps and blowing the play up in OT. Against Florida, it was SS Ashton Lampkin forcing a fumble on 3rd & 1, and then it was Corion Webster running out the clock. Against Michigan, it was JW Walsh putting us in the position to kick the game tying FG, and then it was Jimmy Bean forcing the fumble to seal the win. As long we continue to execute and make plays, I see no reason why we can't win it all.

Running back Corion Webster has had a good start to the 2015 season. He has 320 yards on 50 carries and 2 TDs. How do you continue to be successful with the running game every year? Corion was a guy who at the end of last year came on strong, despite the fact that we were a little too pass dependent. A big part of why Corion has been successful running the ball is because of the effectiveness of JW Walsh. We're an Air Raid team, and I think because of that, teams tend to focus on making us run which is something we want to do. While we are pass first, we strive to be balanced which is something we weren't last year.

Your defense looks to be one of the best in the BIG 12. Do you think it's gonna pay off down the road having so many star players on defense? I think the reason why our defense has been so successful isn't because of star power, but because of experience. The guys on D have been playing together for 2-3 years now, so they've gelled with one another. They're battle tested, so they trust and believe in each other to get the job done.

You have beat three top 10 teams in 3 weeks. Do you agree with your ranking at #4? To us, where we're ranked doesn't matter. I think at this point our play on the field has justified our ranking. Are we satisfied with being #4? No we're not. Our goal is to be the standard of college football. We want to be the team everyone compares themselves to and we're nowhere near that. We want to get to Florida State status.

Offensive star and why? I don't think we have "stars", but we do have playmakers. On offense, it starts and stops with JW Walsh. He's been a big time player ever since he got the nod 2 years ago against TCU. Now as a senior, he's the life of the offense. If we do anything big this year it's going to be because of him.

Defensive star and why? Defensively I think there's two guys to watch for. SS Ashton Lampkin is going to be playing on Sundays. He's the captain and the anchor of the defense. Another guy is CB Kevin Peterson. So far this year, teams have tried him 1-on-1 and he's come up with 3 picks and 5 passes defended.

Your prediction? I can't really give a prediction, but I will our goals are Beat OU, win the Big 12 Title, play/win BCS Bowl/Title.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Bulldog

In week 6 we get to know coach Bulldog a little better.

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

You're 1-2, rough start. How do you bounce back after such tough losses to Ohio State and Nebraska? We just have to keep our heads up and focus on our new goal for the season, make it to the ACC Championship game. Those two losses were rough but you can't dwell on them, you have to look ahead and take it one game at a time.

Tough game this week against Florida. What will it take to get the W on Saturday? Florida is always tough, even in their rebuilding years they tend to upset some of the better teams. I think if we can run the ball with success we will win this one. They have a very good defense, as they always do, and I feel like if we can run it will set up the deep ball. Offensively they are no joke either, their HB Matt Jones is explosive and can make you pay if you don't wrap him up.

Senior HB JC Coleman has been a big asset to the team for 3 years now. Do you think he will have a big year like the last two? Definitely, JC is just a freakishly talented back and should produce some big plays throughout the year. We like to run the ball alot and with a guy like that in your backfield why wouldn't you?

Offensive playmaker and why? JC Coleman! He's very short but VERY fast and isn't afraid to lower his shoulder and hit someone. JC is very consistent averaging just over 100 yards per game and seems to always make a big play when we need it.

Defensive playmaker and why? Very tough decision for me to be honest. SS Der'Woun Greene is a very good Safety and seems to make big plays every game. He has 78 tackles, 7 for a loss, 1 sack and 3 interceptions. LE Dadi Nicolas is another. He has 64 tackles, 23 for a loss and 6.5 sacks.

Prediction? I hope we finish the year with an ACC victory but realistically I think we lose to Miami or North Carolina and finish 9-3.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Bulldog

In week 7 we sit down with coach hornfaninbama and learn more about his success so far this season.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    You're undefeated so far this season and ranked #1 in the nation. Why do you think you're having so much success and how do you keep winning? So far the offense has been leading us. They've been explosive, and high scoring. The ground game has been able to lead the team to some good wins. When you add in how explosive we've been on special teams, it's been a special year as far as scoring points. To keep winning though the defense needs to step up. We've only forced 2 turnovers all season, and that needs to change.

#13 Florida State in 2 weeks. Do you feel good about your chances to win this game and what are the keys to win this game? We have to be able to run the ball. The last 2 games the Seminoles have been able to jump in front, and force us into throwing the ball more than we would like to. They had one of the best QB's and running games in the country the last 2 seasons, when they got up on you they were able to milk the clock very well.
    They've beat us pretty good the last 2 seasons. It's going to be tough to get over the hump and knock them off, they've got a great team with lots of talent. But I think this could be the year we knock them off.

Senior HB Zac Brooks is having a good year so far. Why do you think you're having so much success with the running game? We have a lot of good athletes in the backfield this season. And so far that has kept our opponents from being able to key on him, he's fast enough to find a seam and break a score from anywhere. He has shown the big play ability the last 2 seasons but hasn't gotten enough playing time to show he could do it consistently. It's been nice to see him grow into a great RB for us.

Offensive playmaker and why? Chad Kelly is the player who makes our offense go. When he hits his throws and is running the ball well, our offense can be very tough to stop and it opens up big holes for Zac Brooks and Aaron Long.

Defensive playmaker and why? Ben Boulware and TJ Burrell have been our anchors on defense. They're leading the team in tackles and have helped us weather the loss of some really great players. Shaq Lawson has led the pass rush so far this season and Carlos Watkins does a great job playing the run and rushing the passer. There isn't one guy who has led the defense to where we are now. It's a total team effort. But we need to force some turnovers.

Prediction?
    Don't want to jinx myself one way or the other. We've had a great season so far and just want to keep it rolling.

Anything you want to add? It's been a great ride so far, we've got some tough games coming up against Miami, FSU and hopefully the ACC title game. We just want to fight through and keep playing well. The key will be to look at each opponent as the best one on our schedule. Like Nick Saban says, every opponent should be faceless, we just want to get better each week.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Bulldog

Week 8 features coach IrishBearcat , the head coach of the West Virginia Mountaineer football program.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You're 3-2 on the year and you have a tough schedule ahead. Where do you hope to be by seasons end? We're always competing for the divisional crown. Beating both TCU and Oklahoma will be keys to getting a shot in the conference championship game. That's the goal.

HB Dustin Garrison is having a good year. How has he been so successful running the ball? He's a special player, and he hasn't even reached his ceiling yet from a skill standpoint. He's one of those rare backs who can do it all as far as getting you the tough yards up the middle, has enough speed to get to the outside, can make catches out of the backfield, and can get the job done is pass-blocking situations.

You play at Oklahoma in 2 weeks. How are you preparing your team and do you think a win would boost your teams morale significantly? We take treat every game every week exactly the same. We will prepare for Oklahoma NEXT week. You won't catch us looking past any opponent. :)

You're 17-10 since you took over at West Virginia. Is that good enough for you or are you better and what do you need to do to be better? We've done some good things as staff since we've arrived but there has also been many losses and errors that need corrected. You hope with the influx of talent that the winning percentage improves. We have not come close to reaching our annual end goals of getting to the CCG, winning it, being a part of the BCS picture, etc.

Offensive playmaker and why?
    Garrison is, no question, our top offensive weapon for the reasons listed above.

Defensive playmaker and why? FS Karl Joseph. He's the highest rated player on our team (96 OVR) and has an unmatched ability to cover sideline to sideline.

Anything you want to add? Go Mountaineers! :D

• Like Like x 3