Q & A Session

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by KnightNoles, May 24, 2010.

1. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

Q & A Session

Today we sit down with Texas QB Scott Felder along with Florida QB Brandon McCloud via skype conference.

First talk about your first two seasons. What has it been like for you?
    I’m from the great state of Texas, so I never intended to play anywhere else but in Austin. I’ve loved my time here, the weather is great, the women are hot, the fans are awesome and Coach has fulfilled all his promises to me during my recruitment. This year’s offense is built to allow me to direct it using my skills as a runner and a thrower, and it’s been a lot of fun so far. My top 4 WR’s (Ingram, Allen, Skinner and Wheeler) all came to Texas together 4 years ago and we’ve all dreamed of this year, where we get a chance to play together and put up some big wins.

On the field, obviously I’m disappointed that I was injured last season and I can’t help but think what might have been had I been there to help my guys against the Seminoles. To have our team lose by only 7 with a true freshman QB at the helm was heartbreaking to the guys. I honestly thought we had FSU this year, and if Antoine Bell could have hung onto the ball in the last minute, we’d be in the driver seat for a title shot. We’re now just trying to plug along, take it week by week, and see if we can’t win our way back into the mix.

Scott coming off surgery from last year and having played in 5 games to date, how is the body?
    Everyone always worries that I’m too slight to play in a spread option offense, being only about 195 pounds. I’m not built like a tank, but I think I’m pretty good at taking a shot and so far so good. After missing more than half of last season with an injury, someone’s going to have to rip my arms or legs off to keep me off the field this year.

Coach Dru new offensive scheme has spread out the Longhorns even more this year and then given you some opportunities to run some option. How do you like this system and what is something that you can improve on?
    I love the system we’re running this year. I prefer to have the pressure on myself to direct the offense, and in this system I come to the line with the option to check to run or pass, to check WR routes and adjust anything else I think I need to. This offense is all about the big play, since we expect most of our opponents to play base defensive looks against our 4 and 5 wide sets, most of our pass reads are for me to hit one of the WR’s 15-25 yards downfield. I think I’ve done a good job this year of mixing up the playcalling and spreading the ball around to my weapons. The thing I need to work on is that sometimes I need to just tuck it and run when my first 2-3 reads aren’t there, most of my picks this year have been from bad passes when I got hit as I was releasing the ball.

Do you feel yourself playing in the shadow of Garret Gilbert because of the success that he had as a Lonhorn?
    Well, Garrett won a BCS title and the conference title in one of his two years as a starter, and the year the team didn’t win, he broke all the school passing records and won the O’Brien award. Ultimately, my teammates and I know that we will be judged by titles. We won the Big 12 last year, and hope to do so again. All I know is that we are all praying for another shot at the Seminoles this season.

The one thing that I will always have bragging rights over Garrett on is that I’m the only one of us with an unblemished record against the Sooners.

Who do you like competing against or which team do you want to play against?
    I love competing against whoever is in the opposite color jersey, I don’t really have a preference. Like I said in a previous question, I want another shot at FSU.

How do you want to be remembered during your career as a Longhorn?
    Hopefully as a winner, if we can climb back into the race for the BCS title. I’d also like to be known as a great teammate by the guys I go to war with every week.

-----------------------------

Brandon, talk about the last 2 years yourself and what it means to be a senior for the Gators
    It has been a strange ride for my career but I've enjoyed my time at the University of Florida. Getting to sit on sidelines behind Jordan (Reed) was tough but I learned a lot as a football player.

The Gators always seem to run the table but that 1 loss comes at the most inopportune time, why do you think that happens? better yet how do you get over that "hump"
    Last season was tough because we got all the way to the championship but couldn't get the job done. The team seems to struggle in general against FSU and we can't seem to get in a groove on offense. The key to getting over the hump will be avoiding turnovers. This season we have done a good job of limiting turnovers so that culd be beneficial down the road.

How are you preparing Ron Washington in case the 2015 season isn't locked out?
    2015 will be a battle between Ron and Marques (Douglas). Marques will be a senior going into next season so he will be the early favorite to get the starting job. Both quarterbacks have been strong in practice and I'm confident they will get the job done after I graduate.

Florida has had a few Heisman winners in their day do you think you can add another to the total?
    I don't like to think about the Heisman. At Florida we are more concerned with team achievements. My goal is to stay healthy and make sure my team keeps winning.

We all know that the Gators want a win against the Noles, but who else do the Gators foam at the mouth for? Of course Alabama?
    Yeah we always enjoy the matches against Bama. They have given us fits the past couple seasons and we were lucky to steal a win in the last meeting. The match with the Tide also determines who wins the conference, so it is our most important game nearly every season.

The USC game was such a good ball game and a heartbreaking loss, do you all feel like running the table and creating your own destiny?
    The game was tremendous as a fan, but as a player it was a tough loss. We played our hearts out but couldn't seal the win. As for the rest of the season, we have too many challenges to worry about a title shot. We are taking it one game at a time and not worrying about our bowl berth at this time.

----------------------------

It was a pleasure meeting both of you and good luck with the rest of the year and your future endeavors and hopefully we will meet up again.

2. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

Responses from Scott Felder,

First talk about your first two seasons. What has it been like for you?
    I’m from the great state of Texas, so I never intended to play anywhere else but in Austin. I’ve loved my time here, the weather is great, the women are hot, the fans are awesome and Coach has fulfilled all his promises to me during my recruitment. This year’s offense is built to allow me to direct it using my skills as a runner and a thrower, and it’s been a lot of fun so far. My top 4 WR’s (Ingram, Allen, Skinner and Wheeler) all came to Texas together 4 years ago and we’ve all dreamed of this year, where we get a chance to play together and put up some big wins.

On the field, obviously I’m disappointed that I was injured last season and I can’t help but think what might have been had I been there to help my guys against the Seminoles. To have our team lose by only 7 with a true freshman QB at the helm was heartbreaking to the guys. I honestly thought we had FSU this year, and if Antoine Bell could have hung onto the ball in the last minute, we’d be in the driver seat for a title shot. We’re now just trying to plug along, take it week by week, and see if we can’t win our way back into the mix.

Scott coming off surgery from last year and having played in 5 games to date, how is the body?
    Everyone always worries that I’m too slight to play in a spread option offense, being only about 195 pounds. I’m not built like a tank, but I think I’m pretty good at taking a shot and so far so good. After missing more than half of last season with an injury, someone’s going to have to rip my arms or legs off to keep me off the field this year.

Coach Dru new offensive scheme has spread out the Longhorns even more this year and then given you some opportunities to run some option. How do you like this system and what is something that you can improve on?
    I love the system we’re running this year. I prefer to have the pressure on myself to direct the offense, and in this system I come to the line with the option to check to run or pass, to check WR routes and adjust anything else I think I need to. This offense is all about the big play, since we expect most of our opponents to play base defensive looks against our 4 and 5 wide sets, most of our pass reads are for me to hit one of the WR’s 15-25 yards downfield. I think I’ve done a good job this year of mixing up the playcalling and spreading the ball around to my weapons. The thing I need to work on is that sometimes I need to just tuck it and run when my first 2-3 reads aren’t there, most of my picks this year have been from bad passes when I got hit as I was releasing the ball.

Do you feel yourself playing in the shadow of Garret Gilbert because of the success that he had as a Lonhorn?
    Well, Garrett won a BCS title and the conference title in one of his two years as a starter, and the year the team didn’t win, he broke all the school passing records and won the O’Brien award. Ultimately, my teammates and I know that we will be judged by titles. We won the Big 12 last year, and hope to do so again. All I know is that we are all praying for another shot at the Seminoles this season.

The one thing that I will always have bragging rights over Garrett on is that I’m the only one of us with an unblemished record against the Sooners.

Who do you like competing against or which team do you want to play against?
    I love competing against whoever is in the opposite color jersey, I don’t really have a preference. Like I said in a previous question, I want another shot at FSU.

How do you want to be remembered during your career as a Longhorn?
    Hopefully as a winner, if we can climb back into the race for the BCS title. I’d also like to be known as a great teammate by the guys I go to war with every week.

3. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

Brandon, talk about the last 2 years yourself and what it means to be a senior for the Gators

It has been a strange ride for my career but I've enjoyed my time at the University of Florida. Getting to sit on sidelines behind Jordan (Reed) was tough but I learned a lot as a football player.

The Gators always seem to run the table but that 1 loss comes at the most inopportune time, why do you think that happens? better yet how do you get over that "hump"

Last season was tough because we got all the way to the championship but couldn't get the job done. The team seems to struggle in general against FSU and we can't seem to get in a groove on offense. The key to getting over the hump will be avoiding turnovers. This season we have done a good job of limiting turnovers so that culd be beneficial down the road.

How are you preparing Ron Washington in case the 2015 season isn't locked out?

2015 will be a battle between Ron and Marques (Douglas). Marques will be a senior going into next season so he will be the early favorite to get the starting job. Both quarterbacks have been strong in practice and I'm confident they will get the job done after I graduate.

Florida has had a few Heisman winners in their day do you think you can add another to the total?

I don't like to think about the Heisman. At Florida we are more concerned with team achievements. My goal is to stay healthy and make sure my team keeps winning.

We all know that the Gators want a win against the Noles, but who else do the Gators foam at the mouth for? Of course Alabama?

Yeah we always enjoy the matches against Bama. They have given us fits the past couple seasons and we were lucky to steal a win in the last meeting. The match with the Tide also determines who wins the conference, so it is our most important game nearly every season.

The USC game was such a good ball game and a heartbreaking loss, do you all feel like running the table and creating your own destiny? The game was tremendous as a fan, but as a player it was a tough loss. We played our hearts out but couldn't seal the win. As for the rest of the season, we have too many challenges to worry about a title shot. We are taking it one game at a time and not worrying about our bowl berth at this time.

4. KnightNoles

Good stuff guys thanks and be on the lookout for some more questions coming in for the different programs!

5. KnightNoles

We will sit down with Barrett James Quarterback from University of Oregon and Marvin Love QB from USC.

Barrett talk to us and let us know about your career at Oregon and lifestyle for the past 4 years
    My career here has been crazy! I've seen some great performances at QB in my day, and know that I have a lot to live up to. I have basically been a career backup. Last season, we were supposed to go to an "almost" 2 QB system, where I'd handle the option/WildDuck portion of the playbook and Charlie [Williams] would throw the ball. If it werent for that injury though... Missing almost an entire season really got me charged and I think that hunger is what propelled me to the #1 spot this season. Lifestyle? Well, when I walk around campus everybody knows me. I think I stick out being so tall, but hopefully after this season people will recognize for my skill and not just my size. But, Eugene is great and I love playing football here.

How do you like playing under Coach Max?
    I love it man! He is crazy as hell and not afraid to try different things. I guess it is easy for me to say that though, because I've never had the starting job. Now Im starting to see why the starters have had always had a love/hate relationship with Coach [Max]. He expects a lot from his starters.

Oregon has dominated the Pac 10 is their too much fluctuation of coaches at other schools in order for them to challenge you?
    I definitely think that is part of it. USC would have benefited from having some stability at head coach. I think the other part would be how good we are. It's weird to think that a perennial top 5 program that has dominated their BCS bowls can still be flying under the radar, but we like it there... It helps us sneak up on people.

Oregon has 2 Heisman trophies, is Oregon all style and not about winning the team trophy?
    Hey, we as players do all that we can. We win as many games as we can with the schedules we are given, and the players can only control what happens on the field. The Heismans were cool, but if you listened to Masoli you'd know that those are really team awards anyway. Dont forget we have won a few Pac10 Championships and BCS Bowls. We consider those team trophies as well.

Is there a different feel this year about the Trojans, they have one of the hottest teams right now and a coach that has made a difference
    Of course. They have always been a tremendous program with big time athletes and a strong will to win, but their new head coach has obviously got them over the hump. There are #1 in the country after all. Im actually happy about it. It makes the PAC-10 and college football better when they are good.

How important are the last big games (user) to the Oregon Program?
    They mean everything to us right now. Everyone is really focused and practices have become very intense. We dont want to be the squad that breaks the PAC10 Championship streak, and we want to be the squad that breaks through the National Championship barrier. We have a chance with this year's schedule and we want to make the most of it.

Will you always be in Masoli and Williams shadow?
    Oh man. Around here, those guys are like gods. I dont think any Duck will be able to run out of the QB position like Masoli did, and I dont think any Duck will come close to Williams' passing accomplishments. All I can do is play my best every game. I only have 1 full season, if Im lucky enough to not get injured, so I will make the most of it and see where I stand when its over.
    Those guys were such great individual athletes and all of our opponents knew if they could just slow them down they'd have a chance to win, but that rarely happened. If I can be mentioned in the same sentence as them I'd be happy, but I guess those wouldnt be the worst 2 shadows to be stuck in [laughs]

----------------------------------------------------

Marvin talk to us about your time at USC under Coach Hippo
    Coach Hippo is running a great system for my skill set. He's giving me room to make my own decisions at the line based on what I see. I've learned a lot this year and I'm hoping that we can finish out this season strong.

Was it hard to sit behind Barkley as he had mixed success and failure
    I'd be lying if I said it wasn't hard. Of course it was. I wanted to play, but at the same time I understood why Matt got the starting job. Even after a rough start last year, he led us to 10 straight wins and a top-5 finish. But I think the time on the sidelines allowed me to grow as a student of the game. I was able to see things that I might not have noticed had I been playing. So I guess you could say it was a blessing in disguise.

A nice welcome to C2C with 2 wins over big time programs in the first 2 weeks, is USC back?
    I'd like to think so. Those first two games were huge for USC as a program. Ohio State has run through the Big 10 for many years and that game against Florida...wow...that was the loudest I've heard the fans in a long time. It was an awesome game and I'm proud to say I was a part of it. But my work isn't finished yet, we've still got some tough work left to do.

Your currently sitting with turf toe is it more of a precaution to be healthy for Oregon than anything?
    If it were up to me I'd be playing. But I don't think the doctors or Coach Hippo will clear me to play. I'm working as hard as I can to get back, but it looks I might be helping Tim Murray prepare to take the field vs the Ducks. I'm going to give him all the help I can, and I'm shooting to be back for the Notre Dame game.

What is it like playing with Shannon Jones?
    He's like my brother. He's so talented and he's the reason we're sitting at #2 in the nation right now. He scored 3 touchdowns in both the Ohio St and Florida games. He's so versitile too. We will spread the field and he can run out of the gun or catch passes out of the backfield. But he can also run it down the defense's throat out of the under center formations. He definitely takes a lot of the pressure off of me, that's for sure.

You seem to spread the ball around as almost 4 receivers have 300 yards and 20 catches, why so?
    I don't have any "go-to" receivers. I work so hard in practice with all of them, so I'm not looking to play favorites on the field come game time. I just look for the open man and try to hit them. I'm lucky to have some good wide receivers, as well as one of the best Tight Ends in the nation, in my opinion.

How much do you want the Pac 10 title to come back to SC?
    That's our #1 goal. We need to get that title back from the Ducks. They've been running things in the Pac 10, and we're going to do our best to take it back from them. Coach Hippo has been pounding it in our heads "one game at a time". So that's what we're focused on right now. But I'd be lying if I said this game wasn't circled on my calendar from the start of the season. If everything goes right, we'll take the title back from Oregon, then we'll focus on getting to that BCS title game.

6. MaxATX34

MaxATX34 Texas Football

Barrett James comments have been added to transcript

7. astealthyhippo

astealthyhippo happy painting and god bless

comments have been added to transcript

8. KnightNoles

Michigan and Ohio State coming soon...