QB Arms. Whats Serviceable For You?

Discussion in 'NCAA Football' started by Blaza, Nov 10, 2010.

1. Blaza

Blaza In Arsene Wenger I Trust

Just curious what's the lowest you guys will go as far as THP and THA for your QBs? Historically I've run with slugs with 88+ THP and 88+ THA. This year in my OD, my two best guys are 90 THP 82 THA (77spd) and 85 THP 82 THA (91spd). The first QB can make up for a some inaccuracy with the extra power but still the 82 THA shows up on several throws.

Obviously recruiting and injuries can leave you in a bind sometimes but I wanted to know what kinda throwing ratings your QBs have.

2. controllerabuser

controllerabuser Purple People Eaters

I like to recruit guys with high accuracy. I'd rather have a slow guy with great accuracy than a guy with great speed and horrible accuracy.

Right now, with MSU's Kirk Cousins he has 84 THP and 92 THA. I have a freshman that is redshirting with the same exact ratings as the JR Cousins. So, should be fun to see how high his accuracy gets.

With LSU, SO Zach Lee has 91 THP 90 THA.

3. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

We've discovered this in the Deuce and not sure if you're aware, but the QB accuracy also seems to effect the rate of WR drops. Which doesn't make any sense, but according to the football world of EA, it's what we have to play with.

I think accuracy is far more critical than throwing power. I've got Tyler Gabbert in the Deuce w/Missouri and he could possibly win his third heisman this season. He's been a mid 80s throwing power, but a upper 90s accuracy and is currently an 89 THP and 99 THA. Dude can make it rain from anywhere on the field, even the deep balls. In my limited experience w/bad QBs though I'd say the low 80s is probably your cut off for both ratings.

4. Blaza

Blaza In Arsene Wenger I Trust

Thanks bro--I didn't think of the drops being affected that will be interesting to see. For the first 3 seasons I've run an offense similar to your Mizzou boys--really airing it out. I have some speed at wide receiver and want to stretch the field vertically and horizontally. The fast QB presents matchup problems for a defense but that THP is just such a turnoff.

5. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

No problem. Gabbert got hurt for a couple weeks and I had to play my freshman Bill Hill (what a redneck!). He's 92 thp and 76/78 tha. You could notice a lot more zip on the ball, but he was very inaccurate and the WRs (90+ ovr) ended up dropping a bunch of balls they normally don't. Also, w/o the high accuracy, if you throw into coverage, you're much more likely to get picked off. It seems the high accuracy puts the ball in a spot only your WR can get to. Not so much with the inaccurate guys though.

6. Keller

Keller The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

The option stuff just isn't that effective, for me at least, so to echo whats been said, accuracy over speed when it comes to qb's.

7. smlVICTORIES53

smlVICTORIES53 Walk On

I love the spread option shit this year...depending on sliders of course. Once you dip down below 83ish range throwing becomes a crap shoot as far a I'm concerned. For me if I have the option I'd take a running qb with b acc. If he is slow gotta have b+ tha

8. Nautica

Nautica #whatisdrugs?

Yeah in Coast 2 Coast I have Stephen Morris with MIA and he is HORRIBLE, he has an 80 THP and 82 THA, and anything over 10yds is picked off 1/2 the time. I am probably going to switch my playbook to airforce so that I can actually utilize his 90 speed.

9. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

I am lucky in Trifecta becase I have a godly QB but he has spoiled me so my other QB seem very mediocre.

Larry Walters R-FR (was #1 overall recruit in first class of T3)
    THP - 97, THA - 93

Other quarterbacks I have used have paled in comparison, especially the man Walters replaced Terrell Pryor.

The QB I will be starting at Legacy this season will be an interesting experience. Robert Bolden (R-JR) has same THP as Walters but his accuracy is just 82. He also has like 93 speed, 90 agility and acceleration.

10. BRUCE80

BRUCE80 Let the dirt just shower over you..

This is a great topic, most recruits come up with higher TP then TA everytime. I have RS Senior and a RS Freshman who are very close in ratings.

The difference is a couple points in ACC and overall.

I think after reading this for the betterment of my program you play the young guy.

11. whygodwhy1111

whygodwhy1111 Walk On

I think 88 TA is enough ( below that is going to make you miss a few passes). I love 97-99 TP. The accuracy on deep balls and the speed of bullet passes is great. low TP QBs will overthrow or throw deep balls out of bounds. The difference from 90 to 97 on deep balls seems noticable.

12. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

I would agree with you on the high THP rating being noticeable. After playing with several types of QB's, you can run a passing offense using guys with low THP or low THA and be successful if you don't force them to do what they aren't capable of. If you have the guy with less than 85 THP, you should really only go deep on streaks with no safety help deep, since it will always be a lob, and if your QB has less than 80 THA trying to lead passes is a real adventure. If you have a QB with 94-95+ THP, there are throws that you can get away with that lesser QB's can't do, such as fitting in balls between multiple defenders, throwing between the S and CB on the sideline vs cover 2, etc.

I guess what I'm saying is that I've found I can use a QB with whatever THP/THA they have, but I tend to fit my offense to fit the skills of my team rather than trying to fit the square peg in the round hole.

13. whygodwhy1111

whygodwhy1111 Walk On

The low TP guys seem to throw uncatchable lobs more often

14. smlVICTORIES53

smlVICTORIES53 Walk On

If you have right sized square it will work

15. nikpin

nikpin Universitas Brunensis

Bolden transferred to me with Western Michigan and it's been a trip. He's got 94 SPD 90 ACC/AGI 95 THP but 78 THA. I've always been more of a pocket passing type but it's definitely brought some freshness to the game as I'm rolling with the Oregon PB. You really notice his accuracy sometimes but for the most part I don't ask him to put a ton of touch on the balls and hit really precise routes and he's fine.

16. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

well, the title I won with the NCAA 11 version of the game was with Nick freaking Montana... so crappy QB's are o.k. by me. I just need some accuracy and he's at least reasonably accurate..

17. egofailure

egofailure Sim habits die hard!

Due to a QB injury, I was forced to start my speedy freshman backup for the second half of the season last year. To be successful, I utilized the option from under center and stuck to short and mid-range passes. It worked well (the roll-out passes are also fun), but I was absolutely punished at times when trying to throw the ball deep downfield (when behind or attempting to capitalize on an overly aggressive defense), or when releasing the ball quickly out of the PA. These errant passes typically found the gut of the opponent's safety for back-breaking turnovers.

This season, my senior QB with 99 accuracy returned, and man, does it make a difference. He's mobile enough to buy some time in the pocket, and that's all I need. Last night I defeated a tough user-controlled Oklahoma team on the road, firing rockets out of the PA right before getting smacked. I'll take this ability over quick legs anytime.

18. uncleho

uncleho Walk On

Any QB that has less than an 88 rating in both THP and THA is just a placeholder until I can get someone in their that can do both. I will typically start a guy with a stronger arm over a more accurate guy as I feel that he has a better chance of being a threat to throw the ball anywhere.