QB awareness

Discussion in 'NCAA Football' started by aarondramp, Dec 3, 2011.

1. aarondramp

aarondramp ten thousand words

I'm just curious...does this impact a guy's throwing. I just made it to Ohio State in a coaching carousel and in the game Braxton Miller was awfully erratic. He has 91 throwing accuracy but only 58 awareness. I assumed it would only impact him if controlled by the computer, but some of his throws were way off target.

So has anyone else had any issues like this or is it just me over analyzing?

2. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

Since a title or two ago I always felt that a high awareness would contribute to your QB making you look better. For example, if you threw into coverage he'd throw the ball to a spot where only the WR could catch it with no input from the controller. Think when you seen guys throw to a well covered hook route and the QB threw it high so the DB couldn't touch it and the WR could only catch it.

I've felt it works the other way too at times, but I've never had a high accuracy low awareness QB to really be able to tell. Usually it's high acc and awareness or low acc and awareness on my teams lol.

The other thing I've wondered is if the awareness rating impacts your QB's accuracy when facing pressure. If a DL is coming free as you throw I feel like throws can be erratic with a QB with low awareness independent of accuracy ratings. I think there's a lot of things that go on in the background of this game from a ratings perspective that we have no idea about. I also theorize that a DB is more likely to intercept a ball from a low acc/awr QB than a high acc/awr QB even if it's the same exact situation and pass and independent of the DB's ratings, if that makes sense.

3. aarondramp

aarondramp ten thousand words

GoGators

Yeah, this is the first time I've seen a disparity this big between awareness and accuracy, so it's a good test. There were just several throws that he missed the way you would expect a QB with an accuracy in the low 80's to miss. I am switching to more of an option attack because it was so bad. If it continues, then I'll just have to bench him.

4. MaxATX34

MaxATX34 Texas Football

I think you are in the ball-park Gators. I agree that it has an impact even when human controlled. I think it also affects the opposing DB's hands. Higher awareness = more dropped INTs

5. H22APWRD94

H22APWRD94 RG3 Bandwagon

Had this last release with AJ Derby at Iowa. His accuracy was low in his early years, but so was his awareness. As he progressed, his awareness ended in the low 90's while his accuracy stayed in the mid 80's. It made a huge difference in his JR and SR years even though we had made our sliders tougher by that time. I believe that awareness matters much more than what we think with a human controlled player. It also affects the entire team around them. High awareness with high BCV makes the offensive line block better for a RB. Had a great back that had lousy BCV, directly impacted his YPC behind even a great line.

6. Wyrmreaver

Wyrmreaver Ready for Madden 15 on Xbox One, lets get it on!

I believe that the most important impact of a QBs awareness ratings when human controlled are how he acts under pressure. A high AWR QB will throw darts on 3rd down on the road when about to get clobbered while a low AWR QB will throw way off to nobody or a defender in the same situation. However, at home with no pressure it seems to make no difference, you have to make the right decision, so, as a user with a low AWR QB you should focus on quick throws/screens/etc and not try to throw "late" in the play, especially on the road.