QB Rankings - 2012 Season

Discussion in 'The Tradition' started by bravejaf, Aug 10, 2012.

1. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

This is something I created back in T3,. I need to play around with the formula but its a modified way to measure the stats of our quarterbacks.

Some observations from the stats:

* Passing is way easier in this game compared to NCAA 12. In T3 and Legacy there were quarterbacks with negative values and the average was in the 300's. The lowest QB in this ranking is +396 and the average is nearly 1,000.

* Phillip Sims lost a lot of fumbles or he would have finished higher in the rankings. Turnovers equal -50 points so he lost 500 points on just fumbles. He also was second in the league in sacks, so might be some problems with the Virginia o-line.

* Tevin Washington put up some good numbers but was sacked a lot given the number of pass attempts. He was sacked 32 times on roughly 194 drop backs (no way to know how many QB scrambles). When he was able to pass, he led all user quarterbacks with 19.97 yards per completion.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
    • Like Like x 6
  2. Ceewo

Ceewo Walk On

Ouch, I led all users in INT's. I should probably stick to handing the ball off.

3. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

This is awesome. I appreciate you putting the time in on it Brave. I agree the formula needs to be adjusted because a fumble turnover necessarily. Or you could just change the terminology to "turnover opportunities" but would then need to find a way to track balls the QB threw right to a defender but were not caught. impossible.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Here is something interesting talking about fumble stats.

http://www.advancednflstats.com/2010/01/fumble-rates-by-play-type.html

says about half are recovered. so maybe -25?

And yes, i think there are HUGE problems with my o-line. I have two great tackles, but nothing else. never get pressure off the edge, it's always the immediate "beat you to your own dropback" type sacks.

5. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

Good point. That is a simple fix. I can cut the points in half for a fumble. I forgot the game tracks fumbles, not fumbles lost.

6. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

I am impressed with what James Franklin has been able to do, even though this ranking system hates him. A 2-1 TD to INT ratio, and he is working the short routes. Ideally, for our sim purposes, we would add points for something closer to league average and discount anything further from the range, high or low, except with stupid Georgia Tech and their tomfoolery. I know that's not possible here, but believe me, with data like this, I'm looking and taking mental notes.

• Like Like x 1
  7. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

Yeah Franklin doesn't fare well in rankings due to a league low 12.26 yards per completion. He also loses some points due to QB sacks, though that could also be the offensive line. The TD/INT is the third best in the league, behind Showers and Washington.

8. MaxATX34

MaxATX34 Texas Football

Showers was a beast for me more often than not. He will probably finish the year with 2500/1000 (Passing/Rushing) and played really well in the middle of the season... especially during the toughest part of the schedule.

Hopefully he will want to come back next year and make up for that poor passing performance against Mizzou that cost a perfect season. Can you tell your kids to come back another year because they are a system QB and wont make it in the NFL unless they have a Tebow-esque, cult-like following?

9. Twister18

Twister18 I aint got time to bleed!

Only if their name is Vince Young! :p

10. MaxATX34

MaxATX34 Texas Football

Oh man... If only he would have come back for that last year....
    [​IMG]

11. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

12. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

13. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Looks like we got at least two Italians in here now, with Juggs (last name Salvia)

Thanks bravejaf

14. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Awesome man, I always look forward to this. I was digging through there to see how that "efficiency measure" (completions minus incompletes) impacted things. To the naked eye, SC's QB isn't almost twice as good as the next. But that basically factors in completion percentage in a different way than I'd think about it. 76% compared to 66.67% for the next guy. That's basically breaking the game.

15. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

I'm a pure idiot... typing this in the 2012 rankings.... I will bump the other thread. I was looking in here to see if you had provided an explanation of the formulas the first time you posted it. lol

16. MaxATX34

MaxATX34 Texas Football

You talking about me? Because I am Italian also.

17. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Na brave... so I guess at least 3.

18. Gravity

Gravity Hey, I'm Batman

Loconsole is pretty damn italian as well

19. Twister18

Twister18 I aint got time to bleed!

Damn T1 is mafioso!!

20. HotRod

HotRod You ain't bout dat life!

Featured Threads:
    I like Italian food! (y)

21. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Yeah but you're jewish. I'm literally always going to remember about the time your mom came in to inform you of what had been added to the family food stores. "There's Rocky Road" lololol.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  22. Gravity

Gravity Hey, I'm Batman

Lmao. As I sheepishly fumble the mute mic button.

• Like Like x 1