QB Rushing

Discussion in 'NCAA Football' started by Joe_THEDREAM, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Joe_THEDREAM

Joe_THEDREAM Living a dream

When is it acceptable to run with your QB? When does QB scrambling become "cheese"?

Here are my thoughts:

When Acceptable:

1) Every time: Large blitz flushes you out of the pocket. Opposition decided to blitz, gamble, roll the dice, deal with the consequences. Especially if they know your facing a QB with speed. They know the risks and have to deal with the consequences.

2) Limited times: Under duress from front 4 and no body is open. Get outside and either throw the ball away or get a few yards and get down / out of bounds.

3) Player runs Man to Man with over the top safeties. This, outside of the gaming world is when QBs get their most scrambling yards. When choosing this defense, it makes you vulnerable to a scrambling QB. You have the option to have your DL contain.

When Cheesy:

1) Scrambling with QB when you predetermined to run your QB when you called a pass play.

2) Always seems to happen on 3rd down

3) At time of snap, sprints out and breaks contain very often,

Obviously the QB scramble was broken a few years ago. I think EA has done a pretty good job of making it much more balanced. Maybe to the point to where it's slanted to the defensive side. I know that I like to use a lot of contain when facing a fast QB, it pretty much shuts them down if my DE's are worth anything. Another option is to bring outside pressure with contain called.

Anyone else have anything to add? Could a user put up Denard Robinson like stats in TSO, or would they be considered "cheesing"? Whats the most rushing yards you've put up in a TSO dynasty? Are there any other threads on this topic on this forum?

Look forward to hearing the responses.

2. bcduggan

bcduggan Walk On

In 10, I had qb's continually rush for 1400-1500 yards in season but that was mainly due to being an option run team and fear of making the illegal pitch.

3. AJ Hart MN

AJ Hart MN Marseille - TFL Season 1 Champions

This happens to me sometimes and there is nothing more frustrating to me. There are plays I believe that guys use just for the sole purpose of running with their QB. This is my single biggest cheese issue.. Drives me crazy!!

4. Wick36

Wick36 Welcome to the Jungle

I think the 3rd one is kind of cheesy if they're doing it fairly often...

Zone coverage is not very good in this year's game, and it's not that hard to put the move on a spying MLB or containing DE.

It's possible with an option team, probably not with read option and QB draws though.

5. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    I ran the Triple Option with Army in NCAA '10. Denard Robinson transferred in and I ran for Denard-like yards with him (2,000 his senior year).

• Like Like x 1
  6. Keller

Keller The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

I'm pretty strict with QB rushing rules - if you call a pass play throw the damn ball. Maybe I'm in the minority but.....

If you aren't making read's, you are cheesing. Your thought process should be, read 1, read 2, read 3, okay maybe I should move, read 4, okay I'm gonna take off or throw the ball away - I'm not saying it should be exactly that but something along those lines. If you're making 1 read, which is a quick slant, and then taking off - you're cheesing.

If you're reading a heavy blitz, you have check downs AND you have a thing called hot routes. As such, theres no excuse to read blitz on a called pass play and just take off.

7. Joe_THEDREAM

HAha SICKKK

8. Joe_THEDREAM

I agree 100% with your thought process, except sometimes by read 4 the guys are on the edges of the playing field / too far for QB to throw deep to and by that time putting the ball in the air with a weak THP/THA QB is straight up Russian roulette.

Interesting. So, essentially your saying there is no right time to run your QB unless it's a QB run play?

Does the person playing playing defense knowing he's against a fast QB have any responsibilities to try and stop that QB from rushing? Are there not enough ways provided for a defense to stop a QB from rushing on a pass play called?(Spy, Contain, Outside pressure) IF not, what else should EA consider adding to the game?

If someone's coming after me with a blitz, and i don't see someone open right away, i'm not risking the sack. I'm GONE. I personally believe the person playing defense should be held accountable for the decisions that they make, and rushing your QB when under a heavy blitz, man to man coverage with 2 high safeties in certain situations is apart of that.

Good discussion, look forward to others chiming in.

9. Keller

I said that after you make your reads, its okay to take off.

The key, for me at least, is using your QB's legs as a way to get out of trouble, not as a weapon. That is a key distinction.

From the sound of it - me and you would not get a long in a league, lol.

10. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    This is the spirit of the rule here. If your doing otherwise, you aren't following the community expectations.

11. Joe_THEDREAM

I don't disagree with what you said at all.

Our only difference is that if someone is coming after me, and my QB can move, i'm gone after two reads most likely. You'll probably be gone after 3.

To me, personally, i think there are enough ways in this game to stop a scrambling QB, therefore, the accountability is on the defense, especially if they blitz me. If EA didn't provide ways to stop it like three-four years ago, then thats a whole different story. For me at least.

12. JOEDESIGNS

JOEDESIGNS Walk On

I like a good option football team, but when I'm playing online against Ohio State fans I like a good ol' QB trap defense, or I blitz my corners. They seem to start throwing after the first set of downs. [​IMG]

13. Joe_THEDREAM

I agree 100%. I just think people jump to the "Cheese" conclusion first, instead of thinking about what they could of done, or what they did to allow someone to run on them.

Maybe thats just me. My mentality in this game has always been to look at myself first, and think what i could do differently to stop what the opponent is doing. If they are glitching the game, or somehow breaking it mechanics then obviously i'll be pissed.

Fun topic.

14. JOEDESIGNS

JOEDESIGNS Walk On

What happens if your prospect is Cam Newton? Are you then obligated to let the defense know he CAN run? When is too much and when is it not enough? I think as a SIM type football league, you have to let the opposing teams KNOW that your QB has wheels. Any REAL coach would do the same. But you know what they say, too much of a good thing...

15. Joe_THEDREAM

I like that one for sure. Or 4-6 with DE contain pinched with the SS on QB spy.

Or i'll gamble and bring the heat straight up the middle. If he hasn't held someone in to block i'm getting a free shot to the chops. If he breaks that tackle i'm in big trouble! But i knew that when i called the D.

16. Keller

Then call a designed QB run play :)

17. Blaza

Blaza In Arsene Wenger I Trust

I kinda disagree. While, I agree the snap, roll, and run extremely craptown---to me if you are playing an athletic QB, you better damn well account for his running ability at all times. You cannot try to defend a running QB the same way as you would a statue back there. The contain, spy features on defense are better than ever before IMO. By the same token, I've played the 'insta-rollers' so I feel your pain--but scrambling here or there should acceptable.

18. Keller

Spy is crap - I can take an athletic QB and make them look silly out there. They don't attack fast enough is the problem.

Again, think of it as a way to get out of trouble, not a threat.

19. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    In any system (can anyone provide counter proof to 'any'?) on a designed pass play, the QB's first option is to throw. If the play goes awry and the BEST OPTION AVAILABLE is to scramble, then the QB should scramble.

Like I said before:

If you call a pass play and get blitzed, it is obvious you are getting out of trouble. However, in the same vein, if you drop back and everyone is covered, throwing into coverage would be trouble, and running is getting out of it.

If you have Cam Newton (like Auburn did), most of his running yards are designed plays, with the occasional trouble situation mixed in.

Feel free to argue.

20. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    I also want to say: The reason this community exists is so you can play against people you TRUST to do the right thing. If someone breaks a run with the quarterback, you should give them the benefit of the doubt as to the spirit of the rule. At least in Premier leagues, IMO.

• Like Like x 2
  21. Blaza

Hmm....I always thought it did relatively well against me. And I agree with your sentiment...but its the ability to 'get out of trouble' that makes him a threat, no?

I will have to check my QB stats--I've got an Uber Athlete at Qb this year 94 SPD 88 THP, 86 THA. I don't think he has very many rushing yards, but its ability to run that should differentiate him from a typical passer. I will check the numbers and report back.

22. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

Cheese situation that goes against what you said Shaun:

Send all WRs on streaks. Their all covered. QB runs for 30 yards. Not used often but if its used on say a 3rd and 15 on a crucial drive it would frustrate 90% of virtual coaches. Yeah you can say 'DE Contain' or LB spy but if the opposing coach has a HB in the formation, the LB is occupied. Plus, nobody wants to give the QB 4959 hours to throw the rock.

I actually had to do this in a user game. Late in the game, I'm losing by double digits. Sent everyone on streaks outta frustration but since the user's defense is out-fvckin-standing all my WRs were covered versus man. I took off and gained 20 easy yards with a pocket passer. Felt cheesy as hell.

This late in the cycle guys know how the defense is going to react. Its kind of like stepping in front of a receiver to slow them down because you know the ref is not going to call it. Yeah refs miss calls all the time but it doesn't come across well in the virtual world. JMO.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Joe_THEDREAM

You sacrificed recruiting a QB with high passer rating of the same star level to get this guy.

I agree with the spy sentiment. If whoever is spy is somewhat athletic it works well in the situations were outlining. If your spying with a DT against a 90 SPD QB, then thats on you.

24. Joe_THEDREAM

I see what your saying for sure. But did that guy not set himself up for what you did? He chose to call M2M with over the top help and if he's worth anything Pass commit. He could of put a safety on spy, he could of put an athletic DE on spy, called 4 deep and put an underneath guy on zone. He could of not chose pass commit.

In your example, the defense was negligent to respect the rushing ability of your QB, and paid for it. IMO. Does he not have any accountability in allowing you to do that?

EDIT: This is using your example, you didn't sprint out upon snap. You read the D, saw what he was in and reacted. It would of been unsim and plain dumb to throw into someone who knowingly called a defense that protected against the pass only.

25. Blaza

Just checked: Through week 8, my QB has 31 attempts for 43 yards with 1 TD. :(