*** QSF - STATE OF THE LEAGUE ***

Discussion in 'Quality Simulation Football' started by LtJustice, Sep 4, 2013.

1. LtJustice

LtJustice QSF Commissioner

It is almost time to kick off our inaugural season of Quality Simulation Football!

We have a great group of owners here in The Q and I am looking forward to a fun and exciting future. I want to thank you all for joining us on this endeavor and bringing so much energy to our league. It's no secret that we have a very intensive application and approval process, and we feel like we have the best 32 owners for our league. Every one of you should be proud to be part of The Q!

I think every one of you realizes that ownership in The Q is a privilege. We expect everyone to treat it as such and work just as hard to keep your spot, as you did to attain it in the first place. The amount of work that is put into this league on the back-end is truly monumental, and we expect it to be reciprocated by each of our owners in their efforts and activity as part of The Q.

We've always said that a league is only as good as it's owners, and I have no doubt that you all will make this one of the best leagues around!

It appears as though the draft class bug has now been patched server side, so we should be ready to roll very soon.

I know everyone is excited to get started; and in order to give ourselves the best opportunity for success, there are a few topics I wanted to bring to everyone's attention.

One phrase that can sum up most of these topics is this: Just because something CAN be done, doesn't mean it SHOULD.

SLIDERS

One of the hot topic issues is always the sliders that we will use. We did extensive testing and have finalized our slider set that we will use. Keep in mind that they were not created to benefit any one team, player, or play style. We feel that we have optimized the sliders as best we can to give everyone a fair and balanced experience.

One thing I definitely wanted to touch on, because it jumps out when you see the settings, is the FG power and accuracy sliders. We have both set to 0, and came to this decision after testing with the games strongest, weakest, most accurate, and least accurate kickers. 50+ yard FGs are still possible, but hopefully we won't see too many 60+ yarders.

The sliders are not open for discussion, however we will listen to any observations you may have (preferably with video evidence) regarding the settings and their outcome on games. Otherwise, we don't want to hear complaining about the sliders, blaming the sliders, or even blaming the game. Period.

KICKOFF RETURNS

While we don't have an "official" rule regarding kick return strategies, there is one tactic that has been prevalent in scrimmages this year that I want to mention. This is by no means a new tactic on returns, as it has been seen in years passed, but i hope to nip it in the bud now.

The type of return I am referring to is where the returner fields the ball, runs towards the mass of blockers and pursuers, and then after sucking the pursuers in, sprints towards the sideline (sometimes even running backwards) in an attempt to get to the sideline untouched. This is a questionable return style at best, and some even consider it lobby style.

That's not to say there is anything wrong with trying to get a returner to the sideline. But to do so I would expect you are doing one of the following (or similar):
    • right away start your return heading for the sideline (diagonally)
    • follow blockers through a lane to the edge
    • breaking away from tacklers and working your way outside
    If anyone needs further clarification on this, we can get some example video together.

NEW CUTTING MECHANIC

I personally love the new Run Free mechanics built in to the game. However there is another tactic that has been brought to my attention, based on scrimmages, that is a concern.

It appears as though some have overly embraced the new cutting mechanic built into M25. What I mean by that is there have been some who have shown a tendency to essentially "zig-zag" back and forth quickly, in an attempt to elude defenders. Obviously the goal of any ball carrier is to avoid being tackled, but this super fast "zig-zag" maneuver I have seen used is very lobby-ish. This may something being done unintentionally or without much thought; so please evaluate your running style and try to get out of the habit if you find yourself doing this.

This is another instance of; if anyone needs further clarification on this, we can get some example video together.

STATISTICS

I want to make sure that everyone is aware of expectations when it comes to statistics.

First of all, offensive game plans should be well balanced and not one sided. Everyone is expected to mix up their play calling.

We do not expect to see ridiculous stats with individual players being produced. Guys are going to occasionally have big games, but that should not be the norm.

Your primary receivers (#1 & #2 on the depth chart) should be both, your best rated receivers, as well as the leading pass catchers on your team. We do not expect to see halfbacks or 3rd & 4th receivers as a teams primary receiving threat. Obviously tight ends are a major part of any passing attack, and we don't have a problem with them being utilized effectively, but we don't expect them to be an offenses primary focus either.

There may be times when you have to take your foot off the gas, so to speak, to avoid unrealistic stat circumstances. Once again; just because it CAN be done, doesn't mean it SHOULD.

READ OPTION

Obviously the read option offense is very popular in the NFL right now. I want to caution though; please make sure those of us that are using this, are using it realistically. We should not see the Peyton Manning's or Tom Brady's of the league using the read option runs. I am a fan of the read option myself, but I hate seeing it used out of proper context as it pertains to personnel.

This is obviously not something we can set a hard line rule for, as far as who can or can't use it, but please use your best judgement if you are considering incorporating it into your offensive game plan.

TRADE DISCUSSIONS

There is one thing I want everyone to understand, as it pertains to trade talks with your fellow members. We have always subscribed to the idea that a gentlemen's agreement is binding. So basically if you agree to a trade with another owner, you are expected to live up to your end of it, regardless of whether the trade has been posted in the forums yet or not.

I would prefer that league management never have to get involved in trade disputes, I would hope that all issues could be worked out amongst yourselves like rational adults.

However it is almost inevitable that issues will arise and we will be forced to make a ruling. In the event that happens, we will review all conversation regarding the trade and make a decision. I would encourage everyone to be dilligent in your trade talks, keep records of conversations (Yahoo does this automatically, unless you have disabled it or are using certain 3rd party apps), and be careful in how you propose or offer trades.

Here is a valuable definition I found about the difference between a PROPOSAL and an OFFER.

A PROPOSAL (whether written or verbal) is an informal "guesstimate" as to what it might take to perform or fulfill a certain duty, task, or job. An OFFER is a specific document (always in writing to be legally enforceable) to enter into an agreement with another. An offer is essential to the formation of an enforceable contract.

So for example, if someone said to me "My final offer is TE Hugh Janus for my first round pick", and I accepted, I would consider that a done deal.

One thing that a lot of us do, that really helps to avoid disputes and leaves no grey area, is to confirm with the other party. Something as simple as "Shall we call it a done deal?" will really help to avoid confusion.

Also, just because a trade has been agreed upon and is considered binding, doesn't mean both owners can't agree to modify or cancel an agreed trade. Up until it has been posted and approved by league management that is.

2013 TEAM PREVIEWS

There has been a thread created in the Game Summaries & Team News forum for everyone to post a preview of their team as we get ready to kickoff our season. A reply with a preview of your squad will be REQUIRED. It doesn't have to be a novel, just give us a little info about your team and what your expectations are for the upcoming season. I would suggest breaking it down to OFFENSE, DEFENSE, and SPECIAL TEAMS; but feel free to go into as much detail as you would like.

It's not very often that we make this type of content mandatory; but it will be a good way to see who is really willing to do their part as a member of, and contributor to, our community.

2013 Team Previews <CLICK HERE>

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Again, thank you all for already making this one of the best Madden franchise leagues there is. I can't wait to get this party started!

Thank You All,

~Jim aka LtJustice
    QSF Commissioner

Aaron (Hulk_hagen_55 )
    Alex (Ninersfan80)
    Alonso (ferocious)
    Avery (AveryB)
    Carl T. (CTfromDC)
    Chris (CSteud)
    Curtis (thafuture3886)
    Danny (DJDunn6)
    Dave (saintsdave75)
    David R. (ncsu12ddr)
    Doug (CHUNKNESS)
    Eric (Easy Dez It)
    Grey (LLCoolGrey)
    Heath (heathh)
    James M. (cry_havoc)
    James Y. (Phenom)
    Jim (LtJustice)
    Jon (Warhawk AKA dreadman)
    Juan V. (Juan Valencia)
    Kris (coachmimz20)
    Lawon (MrWitness36)
    Loren (ThaBayouChef)
    Michael C. (KNICKSFAN_84)
    Michael O. (Michael Overman)
    Mike A. (Miki1369)
    Mike S. (CowboyMike70)
    Moe (CaptMoe)
    Pope (dablakpope)
    Rob (PepperNY)
    Steve (sactown)
    T.J. (klaximilian)
    Troy (redlishus)

• Like Like x 9
  2. heathh

heathh Walk On

Im so Pumped! Thank yall for this opportunity!

I look forward to playing with such a group of guys! Some of yall I have already had the privilege to scrimmage and I have enjoyed every game! So good luck to everyone and see you out there on the field!

• Like Like x 5
  3. Michael Overman

Michael Overman Walk On

Great Write Up... Well said

Completely Agree and we really do have a great group here...What a thorough and well run league ;)

Now...football is just around the corner

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  4. CHUNKNESS

CHUNKNESS Commissioner Quality Simulation Football

Here's a decent video example of what NOT to do (timestamp :20). Perhaps not as blatant, but there was a hole up the middle and it was taken to the sideline after sucking in the coverage team...

Aaron (Hulk_hagen_55 )
    Alex (Ninersfan80)
    Alonso (ferocious)
    Avery (AveryB)
    Carl T. (CTfromDC)
    Chris (CSteud)
    Curtis (thafuture3886)
    Danny (DJDunn6)
    Dave (saintsdave75)
    David R. (ncsu12ddr)
    Doug (CHUNKNESS)
    Eric (Easy Dez It)
    Grey (LLCoolGrey)
    Heath (heathh)
    James M. (cry_havoc)
    James Y. (Phenom)
    Jim (LtJustice)
    Jon (Warhawk AKA dreadman)
    Juan V. (Juan Valencia)
    Kris (coachmimz20)
    Lawon (MrWitness36)
    Loren (ThaBayouChef)
    Michael C. (KNICKSFAN_84)
    Michael O. (Michael Overman)
    Mike A. (Miki1369)
    Mike S. (CowboyMike70)
    Moe (CaptMoe)
    Pope (dablakpope)
    Rob (PepperNY)
    Steve (sactown)
    T.J. (klaximilian)
    Troy (redlishus)

• Like Like x 3
  5. PepperNY

PepperNY Fear the Spear

I think this is a good video for all to see if you havent already taken from the main section of the site in the New Member Lounge in regards to Sim Gameplay and whats expected site wide. I know its an NCAA video but you get the point.

• Like Like x 4
  6. Hulk_hagen_55

Hulk_hagen_55 Hulkamaniac

Read, agreed and ready to ROCK!

• Like Like x 1
  7. CaptMoe

CaptMoe Walk On

LtJustice I am at work right now but, I remember reading about that "zig-zag while running" in either the game manual or in one of the tutorials. Maybe thats why guys are using it. I haven't used it as I'm still learning the new running moves myself but, just wanted to throw that out there. I'm sure it'll be more effective with the players that have a high ELU rating...

8. ferocious

ferocious Bring it

In regards to this CHUNKNESS LtJustice Michael Overman Ive seen the video and I agree on the obvious returns were this is possible. But in this video, I see the returner running towards that middle hole. But before he is in the actual hole the defenders release from their blocks and are ready to tackle, which is were the returner in my mind makes the correct move to get to the outside instead of staying in for a possible gang tackle, that could very well cause a fumble or hurt the returner. Im pretty sure there are obvious returns that can be seen, but IMO this to me is OK.

Ive scrimmaged The Q owners here and have not seen a return for a TD on me YET lol, Possibly because I cover the outside foremost and bring the returner back inside or if he continues to the outside he will just continue laterally and get tackled iventually.

9. klaximilian

klaximilian Walk On

I've returned about 12 so far, and none which include any of these shenanigans. Hopefully that doesn't become a trend in the CFM. I may just start running out of bounds at the 50, it's become that ridiculous.

Again, at least for me. Maybe Clyde Gates is just a return God.

• Like Like x 2
  10. heathh

heathh Walk On

I have the secret to defend this! Hit me me up on YIM if you the secret!

11. Crakajak24

Crakajak24 Walk On

Lol It's no secret. HURRY UP SOMEONE LEAVE so i can get in lol

12. CHUNKNESS

Robert, I know that you mean well when posting replies like this as we all know you have great enthusiasm when it comes to seeking an ownership position with The "Q". However, please understand that turnover in this league is very RARE. We pride ourselves in that and we are NOT a turnstile league that has a constant revolving door of owners coming and going. I don't mean to overstep Jim's and Michael's leadership when I post this reply, but I think they would agree with me that you indicating that you want someone to quit isn't the best way to go about wanting to be granted an opportunity with the league. Also, please keep in mind that even if a vacancy were to occur, there is no guarantee that you will be offered a position with the league. I certainly don't want to discourage you from continuing to be involved with any league discussions where appropriate, but I just wanted to bring it to your attention that you may want to take a bit of a different approach. ;)

• Like Like x 3
  13. LtJustice

LtJustice QSF Commissioner

Not an overstep at all Doug. And I agree with you completely.

Robert, just as Doug said; we definitely can appreciate your enthusiasm and desire to gain entry in The Q. My best recommendation is to be involved with TSO and build a good reputation for yourself as someone league commissioners will want to have in their leagues. I have no problem with you continuing to monitor and participate in our community here, but I am on the same page as Doug as far as the nature of this message. I know you mean well.

• Like Like x 3
  14. cry_havoc

cry_havoc Walk On

David Wilson and Juans CB Sherels from the Vikes are pretty godly as well

• Like Like x 1
  15. DJDunn6

DJDunn6 Walk On

That's where speed threshold needs to come in anything lower than 30ish and skill guys in open field are arcade like.

16. CHUNKNESS

the speed threshold is at 50

17. DJDunn6

DJDunn6 Walk On

Oh ok I was assuming they were in lobby or non set sliders gameplay.

18. CHUNKNESS

what setting are you guys using for OMFL, Danny?

19. DJDunn6

DJDunn6 Walk On

I had it at 50 as well but I saw too many of those DL and such making those from behind tackles on WR's and RB and we found a set that has it at 35 now. Seems to be a nice middle. I have seen it at 0 and that was laughable lol.

20. DJDunn6

DJDunn6 Walk On

After almost 3 weeks the speed threshold, the RBk and the Qb accuracy are what I find are the most sensitive this run.

• Like Like x 1
  21. CaptMoe

CaptMoe Walk On

I had Dez Bryant get behind the DBs, catch the ball in stride, and then get caught from behind. He has 92spd/94acc. The CB who caught him, after being burned by him, has 92spd/95acc.
    Then in the same game, TE Delanie Walker, 85spd, outruns Brandon Carr, 89spd. Very confused about the sprint feature in this version...

22. Juan Valencia

Juan Valencia Walk On

Wasn't the spd threshold on 45 last week? I did see a difference if it was set on 50. When I thought 45 was more spot on.

23. Juan Valencia

Juan Valencia Walk On

Yeah Rob's Wr Amendola is 85 spd and my 97 spd Cb cant catch him. To add he always breaks away from my faster players.

24. CHUNKNESS

This is contradicting Moe's initial observation statement. Also, there are other factors involved n the play. We need to see video. Unless you have that, nothing will change and bringing this up will be futile.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Juan Valencia

Juan Valencia Walk On

Well the game pay also play different playing through the online franchise I have only played against someone in the community. We prob need to access when we kickoff the season in the franchise.