Quarterback Controversy In Lincoln?

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by spliff616, Jun 27, 2010.

1. spliff616

spliff616 Walk On

Quarterback Controversy In Lincoln?

Last year, the Huskers began their return to national prominence mainly on the strength of their defense. If the Big Red wants to take that next step, they are going to have get some help from their offense. Any improvements on the offense must begin with the person under center. Who this person should be has been a hotly debated subject in Lincoln. Here's a quick overview of the leading candidates:

Zac Lee, Sr. (88 Ovr): Lee is the incumbent and favorite to start at QB for the Huskers. After all, he has the experience and playing quarterback is in his blood. His dad, Bob Lee, played twelve seasons in the NFL. Zac started 12 games his junior season and put up respectable numbers. He is familiar with the offense and the more accurate passer of the bunch. However, some feel as if he lacks the playmaking ability of the other quarterbacks. This combined with surgery during the spring has opened the door for someone else to take Lee's starting spot.

Cody Green, So. (87 Ovr.): With Zac Lee limited in the spring as he recovers from surgery, it has allowed Green more time with the first team. There is no questioning Green's athletic ability which is causing some to petition for Green keeping his spot with the first team after Lee's return. The naysayers question Green's decision making and ability to read defenses. However, starting is nothing new for Green as he started two games as a freshman in an attempt to inject new life in an otherwise anemic offense.

Taylor Martinez, Fr. (84 Ovr.): Martinez is the newcomer of the group, a highly talented freshman from California. In high school, he played both sides of the ball but with the Blackshirts in good hands the coaching staff has decided Martinez needs to focus on offense. With Lee's absence and Green playing with the first string someone had to step up and play with the second unit. During his time with the second unit, Martinez showed he was a decent passer but his strength is in his legs. If Nebraska wishes to return to more of an option oriented attack, Martinez may just be the man to lead them.

Who will eventually start for Nebraska is still up in the air. We will just have to sit back and watch how this position battle plays out. And with three viable options, we may not know until kickoff against Western Kentucky.

2. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

I wish I could have that "problem",lol

3. T2

T2 Smarter than your average bear!

Zac Lee FTW! he will better with an improved O-Line

4. spliff616

spliff616 Walk On

I'm leaning towards Lee, but Green is still an intriguing option. Either way, I plan on relying heavily on Helu and Burkhead to do most of the work.

5. T2

T2 Smarter than your average bear!

agreed. Im saving green until after Lee leaves/injured. i'd rather not pass personally. but i think the O-Line will be much better than last year and that will help improve Lee's stats.

6. spliff616

spliff616 Walk On

The O-Line staying healthy will be a huge plus to Lee's stats. Same with the I-Backs, if they're healthy it will help with the play action pass.