Quarterback Shakeup at Auburn?

Discussion in 'The Experience' started by Basis4aDay56, Aug 25, 2010.

1. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

Quarterback Shakeup at Auburn?

Auburn, AL (AP) -- The big news in town following today's game is not the buzz about a blowout win over Florida Atlantic. Instead, reporters flocked to the locker room to try to make some sense over the game's quarterback moves. With a new offense in place this season, incumbent starter Cameron Newton has been anything but impressive. Last week against TCU, who to Newton's credit has a stingy defensive unit, the Auburn starter struggled to go 10 of 24 for 175 yards and a touchdown. The key was that he seemingly made adequate decisions for a quarterback in a new system, and didn't throw any interceptions.

During today's tussle with Florida Atlantic, Newton was again shaky and was benched at halftime. His day of work led to the following stat line: 8 of 19 for 168 yards with a touchdown and an interception. The key here was his decision making, which was admittedly pretty awful against a sub-par (D rated) FAU defense. The biggest offense against the senior signal caller was the interception that he threw on a forced ball into the end zone.

When the second half began, Auburn fans were shocked to see backup QB Clint Moseley take the field. As he did, the Auburn offense seemed to pick up. In the quarter, Auburn scored 21 points, 6 of which came off Moseley's arm. The redshirt-Junior ended his quarter of play going 6 for 9 for 127 yards and the aforementioned touchdown, while not turning the ball over. He made great decisions and was on the money to open receivers.

The real question coming of all of this is two-fold, but leads to the same result: was Moseley the beneficiary of a fairer set of circumstances than Newton in this game, or did he truly outplay Cameron enough to take his starting job? The Auburn head man, Coach Basis, weighed in on the state of the quarterback position after the game. "I really liked what I saw out of Moseley in the 3rd quarter. We've really been watching him in practice and have noticed that he has been adjusting to the new offense more quickly than Cameron has. Part of me benching Cam had to do with the fact that we were pulling away and me wanting to keep him out of danger, but it was also due to him struggling to make good decisions out there. I've already determined how we'll move forward with our quarterback position. Cameron Newton will start next week against Mississippi State, but he'll be on a short leash. If he struggles to maintain stability for our offense, we will look to see what Moseley can do against a much better defensive unit. Every SEC game is huge, and we can't let wins slip away due to being stubborn. If Cameron comes out and plays the way we know he can against Miss State, then he will start against Florida. If we have to bench Newton due to performance, it is effectively over for him and Moseley will be the man. I have explained this situation more in detail to both of them before speaking to y'all, so this isn't news to them. Now we just have to go out there and get ready to open our SEC schedule."

Straight from the coach's mouth you have the story. Newton is basically playing for his football career against Mississippi State. It will be interesting to see how this one turns out next Saturday afternoon.

2. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

We clearly don't like superior starting QBs in this league. Last year I started Robinson who was 5 points inferior to Forcier. This year Texas is starting Wood who is 11 points inferior to Gilbert, and now you're contemplating starting a guy 13 points inferior to your starter.

I'm telling you, Harris, Pryor and Brantley had better watch out!

3. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    Columbus, OH (AP) - Coach Shaun L Mason had the following to say, "There is not quarterback controversy in Columbus, Terrell Pryor is my starter."

4. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

No way the AP would pick that up! :D

5. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

That is really only due to awareness and running ability. As far as arms, the two are very similar, but I need a QB that can be on the money. Newton is 87 THP 85 THA while Moseley is flipped at 85 THP and 87 THA. I have way overthrown some deep balls with Newton, and been off the mark on short-mid range throws as well.

The key to the offense that I'm running now is mixing up running and throwing, so I can't afford to have no passing game and allowing the defense to stack the box without consequences.

Clearly it doesn't matter to me who gets the nod -- I definitely need a QB that can play better than Newton has this season so far, whether that is him or the other guy.

6. Hova

Hova Live Action. YiYiYi!

Why is Gilbert not starting??

7. JCspartan2

JCspartan2 Sparty Party

Gotta love having a QB with 91 THA ;)

8. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

Cousins only has 91 THA? That's nothing. Once again Michigan's players prove themselves superior to Spartans. All 3 of my QBs are more accurate than Cousins. I have:
    JR: 79 THA
    FR(RS): 77 THA
    FR: 69 THA

Suck on that! Phear the pinpoint passes thrown like darts all over the field! (and pay no attention to the many passes over thrown by 10-15 yards)

9. JCspartan2

JCspartan2 Sparty Party

Haha...and Cousins' backup (Boisture) has 96 THA as a RS Freshman! (85 THP). Future Heisman winner?

10. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

Because he blows goats.

But seriously, Gilbert is really good at everything but great at nothing. He isn't really athletic but isn't a stiff (70is speed/agility/accel), has an ok arm and ok accuracy (87 THP, 86 THA). Whereas Connor Wood is more athletic (80 speed/accel) and has a cannon with similar accuracy as Gilbert (96 THP). He can make plays that Gilbert never can. The only reason he is rated 11 OVR below Gilbert is that his awareness is shit, but that doesn't mean as much when I'm controlling him every play.

11. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

I can't help but think Coach Basis has a little Lane Kiffin in him. I think this is his attempt to grab headlines and get Auburn in the minds of some potential recruits. Otherwise, why would he create a QB controversy when he's already named Newton as the starter???

(j/k, it's a nice write up and a fun read as an interesting storyline in the dynasty.)

12. JCspartan2

JCspartan2 Sparty Party

I think the AWR rating for QBs also makes you more likely to complete a pass when getting hit than if your awareness were lower and your QB just blindly chucks it up. Not a huge deal, but something to consider.

13. Psycho

Psycho Walk On

- IF awareness truly effects how easily your QB gets rattled like Jello thinks it does (not arguing because off hand I think he's right, just never did any tests)
    - IF getting rattled effects how quickly the ball comes out, and how well your line pass blocks (which I think it does because with a rattled Qb I can barely get the snap, but if I sub a non rattled QB all of a sudden I get time)

- THEN awareness is very important in winning big road games, even if you're user controling the Qb every play.