Question About Advance Pace

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Old_Elkpride, Apr 1, 2009.

1. Old_Elkpride

Old_Elkpride Walk On

Question About Advance Pace

I'm just curious on why we advance so slowly? At the twice per week rate we'll complete 2 or at most 3 seasons before 2010 drops.

I'm not trying to question things as the new guy, but 3.5 days per week on average is pretty slow. I'm loving the dynasty and wishing I could play my games more often. Maybe I'm just used to the 48 hour pace in my other leagues, but still we won't get much accomplished prior to 2010 dropping.

2. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

That is how the league has always been. 90% of the members of the dynasty work full-time, go to school full-time, are married, have kids, are older than 25, or any mixture of that. Since this is for fun, this pace is most condusive to keeping the great membership we have.

If everyone finishes their tasks early, then we advance. If not, we stick to the schedule. We made the switch to this setup now because we want to iron out any kinks before 2010 hits, while having some fun.

There are a handful of us that could handle a 48-hour pace, but that alienates a great portion of our membership -- and based on how the OFFL was founded, this is not something that we do not want to damage.

3. BearDownx92

BearDownx92 Guest

DELETE. Brother refuses to log out!

4. Old_Elkpride

Old_Elkpride Walk On

That make sense, I'm just having a blast and just feel like recuiting and all that is gonna be pretty much a waste if we're going to do 2-3 seasons. I'm not here to wipe the history away form the OFFL, just looking for some insight.

I just feel the slow pace makes people lose interest, that's just what I've experienced from my OD leagues. I'm here for the longrun though, and it looks like the majority are as well.

5. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    I am one of those that likes the faster advances, WHEN I have time.:)

As far as people losing interest, we have been around since the game dropped, I don't think it will fizzle out now.:)

6. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

The slower pace has a few purposes:

1. - It creates an environment that older gamers with less time can keep up with. This is the primary function for the advance rate, to allow the average, older guy to get involved. Scheduling issues happen more often with an older group, and the advance times address this.

2. - The slower advance rate gives us time to interact in places like this. With the slower advances, we have time to do our summaries and such, and discuss changes, issues, and so on.

3. - The slower pace feels more like a real season. If it's all over in a month, there's no real investment in any single season. We just move on too quickly to care about any single season much, and we care even less about any single game. Our system is more sim.

4. - It keeps the hardcore stick-jocks and cheesers away. They tend to be impatient.

Actually, you are a good example of how this system works. You want to move on. You want the next stage in the season to come. That's a good thing. If there was a new week every time you logged on, it would turn into a job, and you would lose interest.

In essence, your desire to move on actually proves that what we have works. The slower advance keeps the demand high, and encourages involvement in the community aspects of the league. You are, for the most part, your own answer to your own question.

AG

7. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

And shaun's right. The TF guys and us are easily the best of the best as far as online dynasties go. Losing interest is not an issue. People are going to be climbing over each other to get in here when the new game drops.

We always welcome the discussion, though.

AG

8. Old_Elkpride

Old_Elkpride Walk On

lol man you schooled me there man, I'm my own answer that's good stuff.

I agree with most of what you have to say, but I'm just saying perhaps if we made it a day quicker or so we'd get a half a season more or so in prior to the drop date.

Maybe rather than a thursday/sunday advance date moving to an every 3 days would keep things a tad more paced.

I'm fine with the current rules, but I'd just like to move a tad faster.

9. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

I think that between myself, Shaun, and most importantly AG, one thing can be taken away from this: it ain't changin.

Love it or leave it.

10. Old_Elkpride

Old_Elkpride Walk On

That's fine, just know if you were ever considering a faster pace I'd be leading the campaign. :D

11. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

I knew that when I saw that you are in high school, and read this thread title -- ha ha! I would be in on that campaign as well, but I also have zero problems with how it is going now, either.

You are the answer to your own question elkpride, remember that! :D

12. Old_Elkpride

Old_Elkpride Walk On

Yeah I better just keep my mouth shut next time lol, or I'll get the "Griffen bitchslap" again lol :eek:

13. Hova

Hova Live Action. YiYiYi!

ya this is by far the most organized league ive ever been in, you dont have to worry about non communications and you defintly dont have to worry about stupid cheesers and exploiters

14. Old_Elkpride

Old_Elkpride Walk On

Very true, I'm just eager to get going. I wanna do as much as I can before 2010 drops. I'm loving what I'm doing at Oregon State. 2-0 with a win over Stanford and 6 OT win over #12 Penn State.

I think the Pac-10 is starting to shine as the premiere conference. Hey Archie, your Big 10 conference looks pretty lame after my mid tier Pac 10 team just toppled the Nittany Lions. :p

15. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

Just wait until Oregon gets finished with Purdue! DTFU!

16. Old_Elkpride

Old_Elkpride Walk On

Gotta rep the Pac 10, we're the toughest conference and it's not even close.

Other teams in other conferences need to step up their game..

17. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

Ohhh its close... don't be crazy about the whole thing, ha!

I am definitely gonna jack Purdue's BTFU and keep saying DTFU until probably, well... forever.

BTFU = Back the F Up / Boiler the F Up (Purdue-specific)
    DTFU = Duck the F Up (It even rhymes!)