question about ot play

Discussion in 'Locker Room' started by NDCOLTS1979, Oct 22, 2009.

1. NDCOLTS1979

NDCOLTS1979 I love you red solo cup

question about ot play

If you are on offense first and get stuck with a 3 and out is it ok to go for it? had this happen to me and was quick snapped with my field goal block team on defense as i havent really ever seen it happen in ncaa i assumed field goal is what was going to happen. just trying to get input on the subject and see if i have a right to be alittle upset since i had a chance to beat #2 oklahoma with illinois.

2. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

To answer IMO, I would consider going for it depending on how the game was going. If it was high scoring and you couldnt force the other user to punt or a FG then I'd say yea go for it, get it great if you dont then opponent just kicks a FG to win. the risk outweighs the reward.

You lost me after your question though... were you playin the CPU because usually it does quick snap in those types of situations and it pisses me off along with others.

3. NDCOLTS1979

no i was playing a user and by the time i looked up to see what was going on he had snapped it. then i saw all his recivers down field and was like well i have no chance to stop it. he also went for it on 4th and 12 from my 25 in a tie game so i guess i should of expected him to do it

4. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    Wait for the offense to choose a play before you select your defense and you can avoid it all together. I would say it's fine for someone to go for it on 4th down in OT. It's an aggressive call, but at least a realistic one.

5. NDCOLTS1979

yeah i was just curious. i usually do wait but my daughter wanted me to cover her up so i picked the play so i could assuming a fg was in order. just figured i would get some input on the subject

6. MurkYa21

MurkYa21 Walk On

Going for it on 4th and 12 from the 25 (as in 75 yard to go) is definately not allowed in ANY league at TF.

was this a league here?

If he was losing in the 4th quarter, that's one thing.

I find it sad, however, that he had to do it that way since he was Oklahoma vs Illinois (just some love for my Illinois people)

7. NDCOLTS1979

lol no the league wasn't here its somewhere else and figured id get input from people here about it and see how they felt

8. bringbackjimmy

bringbackjimmy WTFWTTD

1.going for it in OT is fine, but quick snapping it is the not cool part of the play.
    2.did you burn your 2 TO already as you can always call TO to get the right play..

9. ThaEra25

ThaEra25 Oregon=Longhorn Country

IMO, going for it right there is a caculated risk and is fine. If I'm on defense I would love for them to go for it on 4th down...stop them and you kick a field goal for the easy win.

10. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

Yeah. I think some people are missing the facts.

1. It was overtime.

2. The guy went 3 and out.

3. The 25 yard line was (obviously) the defender's 25 yard line.

Depending on the kicker it might actually make sense to go for it. It's a very risky gamble since, if he doesn't convert, he practically just threw away the game.

In this case, I'd say it's all the fault of the OP for calling a FG defense before seeing what his opponent's offensive set was.

11. DatNDaz

DatNDaz Walk On

I guess it's not impossible that this would ever happen in real life, but I'd be shocked if a team didn't kick the FG on 4th & 10 from the 25 in OT.

That said, offense tends to hold a big advantage in this game typically, so NCAA '10 - wise, it's not a ridiculous call. Still pretty aggressive though. I could see myself doing it if I knew I had no chance of stopping the other team on defense. If I'm Oklahoma playing Illinois, I imagine I'd kick it.

12. Hova

Hova Live Action. YiYiYi!

Only thing i would have done different is not quick snap it, id let you realize i was going for it first unless it was a fake fg...

13. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

Yeah that would have been the only thing I would have done differently (if I was on offense) or been pissed about (if I was on defense). All bets are off in overtime -- if you feel like you need to go for it to get the win, then you go for it.