Question about Players leaving early...

Discussion in 'The Deuce' started by OMlawdog, Aug 10, 2010.

1. OMlawdog

OMlawdog Going full Cheeze

Question about Players leaving early...

Any thoughts about tweaking this rule.

Right now its no talking anyone back that is 95 or over.

I wouldn't have a problem moving that down to between 90-92. In this year's game a 90 OVR rated player is probably going to be the best player on your team for the next few years.

Of course this would only apply to Juniors, but what does everyone think? Should we implement a stats level requirement, where if someone has 15 sacks, or rushes for 1200 yards and/or 14 TD's they can't be talked back.

The whole point was to be sim and if you have a Junior that puts up big stats, regardless of rating, they are coming out.

Thoughts?

2. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

I like the 95 or greater rule currently in place (yes Gabbert is a 92 haha).

Unless you guys who have simmed multiple seasons and tested notice otherwise, I vote we stick with that. I think I've read that it's harder to get guys to stay this year anyways. Also, with the tougher recruiting and the shoddy teams we have, it'll be tougher to bring in guys to replace them so trying to keep them around would be sim IMO.

As for the stats idea, I really don't like it. For example, if Shuan continues his quest to be run n shoot and I keep playing that way, we'll probably always have QBs that push the 4000 yard passing mark like TTU and Hawaii, but aren't ready to go pro yet. They're system QBs, i.e. Colt Brenan, Chase Daniel, Taylor Potts etc.

3. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

lol at having players 95 or greater.. (it's a Cavalier thing)

4. OMlawdog

OMlawdog Going full Cheeze

The issue I have with the 95 OVR is that not many players are going to reach that level probably. If you have a QB like Gabbert who throws for 30 TDs and 4000 yards and wins a national title, system QB or not, he is going pro.

Also, and way more importantly we are trying to make the CPU harder, not hold on to are stars longer. The USERS dominated the conferences this year. In year 1 where we supposedly took the 4 worst teams in three power conferences, USER teams are in the CC game, and two went undefeated and one went 7-1.

We don't need the extra help to hold on to a player that is a 91 ovr that is going pro that just had 90 receptions and 1200 yards, and 9 TDs.

I had no idea Gabbert was a 92 Ovr probably because he isn't in the SEC, if I was trying to figure out a way to screw a USER it would be Dru50, and some how come up with a MSU exception where he has to cut any player rated over 75.

5. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

Ha - I like it! I certainly wouldn't have a guy go pro because of stats this year, my offense didn't really put up much in that department, except maybe R. Elliott at HB.

I agree with OM though, I think that 95 OVR is too high a bar and it should be lower. Face it Gators, if it were bizarro world and Mizzou went undefeated, won the national title and Gabbert throws for 4000+ yards, 30+ TD's and is in the Heisman race, he's going pro. No if, and's or but's about it.

Also, in my testing, it is still way too easy to sway guys to stay. About 75-80% of the guys who want to leave come back if you try.

I thought I was having a magical year in the SEC for the Deuce under this set-up, going 7-1 vs the likes of Bama, Florida, Georgia, LSU, Auburn, Arkansas and Ole Miss. Then I saw that BC and Mizzou went undefeated in their conferences....even with the sliders we have to go undefeated as one of the lower tier teams (although I think Mizzou and BC are closer to middle tier teams in those conferences) is better than I anticipated any of us would do. I say we bump up the difficulty of winning the conference, and a good way to do that is to make it tougher to keep our star players around. Hell, I'd even go so far as to say 'no swaying anyone to stay'. After all, the CPU doesn't try to keep it's guys that leave early.

6. jkhaalis991

jkhaalis991 Back in The Deuce...been gone too long.

Agree with OM. I don't want this to be NCAA 10 all over again.

7. theSANDMAN215

theSANDMAN215 Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, HI

I don't think I'll have one player on my team 95 or over, ha.

8. theSANDMAN215

theSANDMAN215 Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, HI

Yeah if I keep the spread/pass offense, my QBs will do the same.

9. Dru50

Yeah, the highest rated non-senior I have is my RT, who is rated a 90 OVR I think. I'm praying he doesn't go early, if he does I'm in a LOT of trouble up front next year, as I'd be replacing essentially my entire OL.

10. JrRawlins

JrRawlins People hate me cause they aint me...

I'm in the minority but for selfish reasons ill be honest.... I want Gabbert to return to Missouri next season..... I want to beat them with him there..... Besides that this rule doesn't affect me one bit.... I only have one guy in the 90's

11. GoGators

I'm not campaigning for Gabbert to stay. He's actually a prototype NFL QB at 6'5" 240 or whatever he is. My argument is that in the next few years when I have a 6'1" QB who weighs 190 and throws for 4000+ yds as a JR because he has 500+ attempts, I'm not going to get ask him to stay? Same with Shaun and Sanders if they run a similar system.

We won the conferences this year, OK, so what. Mizzou will have a shot at the North this year. BC will have a shot at the ACC. Miss St is a big surprise, but they still lost a couple games. Plus, look at our recruiting classes, we're not pulling in the studs like we're used to so the CPU should be more competitive regardless whether or not stars stay, unlike `10.

Another thing I'd like to point out, is that this rule is attempting to be all encompassing which isn't sim. Underclassmen QB's and linemen rarely go pro. RB's, WRs, DBs, and safeties are much more likely to leave early simply because it's an athletic position and doesn't rely on the level of awareness that it does to play these other positions. Plus, they don't want to take the poundings of another season of college football when they could be getting paid.

If anything, I'd argue that cases should be evaluated on a case by case basis. We're a pretty organized and active league, for any player below 95 who wants to leave and the user wants to sway, let's approve it as a league and determine his NFL potential. That would at least make sense.

And if we're really worried about the cpu not being competitive, then let's up the recruiting to HEISMAN and see how it plays out. Let's not make the gifted guys we've recruited and built up leave the game early and ride off into digital oblivion never to be seen or heard from again.

12. GoGators

Also, I don't think making 90+ guys leave early is going to help the CPU out any. I played 2-3 games with Gabbert on the bench for most of them being injured and still got the W with my subpar backup. If you're worried about the results, let's jack up the sliders or move to Heisman, not argue that we should get rid of our stars.

If we decide to go this route, it opens up the Coach K idea, just recruit 3 stars who will stay for 4 years rather than studs who will be gone after 2 or 3. It really won't make a difference IMO.

13. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    All I have to say is:

Eff you stick jock MFers and your conference championship. Duke sucks!

On topic:

I actually like the idea Gators has about determining NFL readiness, that basically makes it a vote.

14. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    I think if you win the NC with Mizzou this year, next year you get to be Eastern Michigan.

15. Dru50

I think a league vote would be a great idea, but that would be a time consuming process I think and this isn't the most patient group on TF. ;)

Also, I disagree with lineman and qbs leaving early, that happens pretty much as often as other positions IMO.

16. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    I like the 95 OVR hard rule we have in place. 95 OVR is a good bookmark for a player who is ready to turn Pro. It typically means that they are either the best or one of the best at their perspective positions. Their are times where players rated that high or above decide not to go pro, even after insane Junior years (Dane Haynes).

I've always wanted to do a say 90-94 soft rule where a player is evaluated by "scouts" (the league) as to his NFL readiness. The problem with that is that it can be subjective and with no concrete criteria to go off of, can become a bit of a mess. I mean, just look at the amount of differing opinions that are in this thread already (OL, interior DL, FB, K and P are about the only position who do not leave early. There are very rare exceptions.

QBs are really a case by case basis and are either quick risers or fallers. For example, take a look at Jevon Snead and Vince Young. There were very few reputable scouts that thought Vince Young could play QB in the NFL. Even fewer who though that he could play right away and contribute and even though his success is criticized, the fact of the matter is that he hasn't quite met the bill of his 3rd overall selection. A pick that the Titans took a chance on because his stock had sky-rocketed due to his Rose Bowl performance. Jevon Snead was told by many scouts that he would be a late 1st rounder and he decided to leave Ole Miss. Through work outs and interviews his stock plummeted and he probably could have had a better showing had he stayed in school for another year. Both guys have NFL size and arm strength.

17. GoGators

Last years QB draft class:

Bradford RS JR
    Tebow SR
    McCoy SR
    Clausen SR
    Jarret Brown SR
    Jevan Snead JR - had no business coming out early
    Tony Pike - SR
    Dan Leveavour - SR
    Zac Robinson - SR

I could go on, but as you can see, QBs typically stay 4 years.

18. GoGators

I asked Drifter if I could have SMU but he said no switching conferences :(

19. GoGators

I thought of the 3 criteria you could use to evaluate players regarding the soft rule for leaving early, the 90-94 overall guys.

1) What has the guy accomplished in his college career? (awards, championships, etc.)
    2) What would he have to come back for? (BCS contender, lost last years champ game, etc.)
    3) Does he have the skills to be a first or second round draft pick? (I don't think guys should leave early unless they fit this one.....*cough* jevan snead *cough*)

I think the only other thing to consider is the financial situation for kids, but fortunately for us, EA hasn't included that information so we don't need to consider it since it's probably one of the toughest issues to decide upon.

20. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    The rule previously was 90+ and a major award. So I guess we can add the accomplishment aspect in. Leading the NCAA in passing, rushing, receptions, yards, TDs, sacks, INTs, etc.

Or at least miletones. QBs will be touch as they depend on the system. But if a RB runs for 1200 yards, regardless of the system, that is a fantastic year.

21. JrRawlins

90 plus a major award or milestone works for me... but i think we should vote/agree on the milestones...

22. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

what about a running style QB... even though he puts up big numbers and awards, he most likely won't be going pro etc...

how is that a sim scenario under those circumstances?

23. JrRawlins

A running style QB it would have to be something spectular... like 1000 yards rushing and 2000 yards passing in the same season, somethin of that ilk...

24. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

but wouldn't he want to come back for his senior year for another season of that instead of riding the pine as a 3rd TE/QB on a pro team?

25. Dru50

He might want that paycheck.

But, if he were playing at USC, that wouldn't really be an issue.