Question about Rules/Recruiting

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by OUNCAAOLD, Jun 24, 2010.

1. OUNCAAOLD

OUNCAAOLD Walk On

Question about Rules/Recruiting

Are these rules something we can talk about? I would like to discuss a few of the rules that I think need to be updated for ncaa 2011

2. Masler

Masler Moderator

These are preliminary, they will most likely be changed quite a bit for '11. Just wanted to get some base rules.

But yea go ahead, what ya got on your mind?

3. Hova

Hova Live Action. YiYiYi!

Discussion is good

4. OUNCAAOLD

OUNCAAOLD Walk On

Ok, I have several so bare with me.

Only recruiting 2 5* players seems really difficult to ever build up a school. With recruiting getting a major overhaul this year and having 12 users, it seems to me that it would be near impossible to build up a team with this rule.

Not being able to use anything other than 4-3 and 3-4 as base defenses. I don't understand this. There are quite a few teams, (WVU), that use the 3-3-5. It seems that we could each develop an identity instead of all being the same defenses. And in this years game, they appear to have fixed not being able to run up the middle against a 3 man front. Against any spread or air raid off, 4-3 or 3-4 is a terrible defense.

Not being able to persuade a player to come back if he is really good? I seem to recall Sam Bradford and Tim Tebow winning the Heisman and coming back to school. While it can be frustrating, it would seem unrealistic to just let good guys go without trying.

Gameplanning- this one bothers me quite a bit. If you have a problem with your guys facemasking, you're saying that you can't gameplan to make them less aggressive? You just have to continue getting facemasks. This is a major part of the game, and I don't understand why you would just make it illegal to use.

I'm sorry to be the new guy coming in and complaining. I am as big a fan of realism with ncaa as anyone.... I just know from experience that muddying up a league with too many rules can really bog things down.

5. Hova

The aggressive gameplan does not work. You can set Dline to aggressive and they will jump the snap every time and they never get called offsides. Same with the strip. It does not work correctly. If you want guys to force fumbles you recruit hard hitting players etc..

As for the 5 star limit after reading the way recruiting is set up you will be lucky to get ANY 5 stars with our lower rated schools let alone 2. NCAA 11 will have much harder recruiting, especially with the recruiting slider on heisman.

6. Hova

Also take a look at the real life recruiting results. When is the last time Michigan St brought it more than 2 5 stars? They are lucky to get 1 every 3 years.

7. OUNCAAOLD

OUNCAAOLD Walk On

Well as far as that goes, I thought the point of the dynasty was to build up your team. Look at Cincinnati's recruiting 5 years ago versus now. Are you saying that no one in this dynasty should ever win a national championship, because if we are going to compare to the real world, then not a single team that we are picking on will ever win an nc.

8. Diabolicole

Diabolicole Walk On

I think that these rules are just a little dated for this year. We shouldnt assume that gameplanning etc. is broken when they have made a point to try and fix them. I think that coming right out with such an extensive list of highly strict rules could result in a glass ceiling that keeps our teams from their true potential.

As for what OUNCAAOLD brough up, I agree.
    Hova, I don't think he was talking about trying to get aggressive and force fumbles, instead he was talking about trying to avoid penalties. In my experience last year, if you team started committing penalties, such as facemasks, and you did not respond by taking your gameplan down a notch (Aggressive>Balanced or Balanced>Conservative), then your team would continue to commit the penalty over and over.

For recruiting, having a limit on talented players seems like it just prevents us from getting better? I have the highest hopes that the new recruiting logic and difficulties will make the CPU as much competition as users, but the jury is out. I'm wondering how much we can really build up a team with a limit on schools.

Anyways, one of my favorite things about dynasty has always been each person developing a unique style and identity, with so many rules, that seems a little hindered?

9. Hova

I 3peated with UCLA in this league earlier in the year with the same recruiting restrictions so that is false lol

You can easily build up your team with 3 and 4 stars

10. Hova

Aggressive gameplan has nothing do to with penaltys. Each gameplan has a positive and negative and they rarely offset each other. The facemask penalty is from having it on aggressive while trying to force fumbles.

If you are trying to stop your team from getting facemasks you set it to conservative. Conservative gameplanning is not banned.

11. OUNCAAOLD

OUNCAAOLD Walk On

I respectfully disagree about building up a team with 3*s.
    According to rivals.com btw, Michigan state signed 10 4*s last year. Which would have broken the rules.

12. Hova

Take a look at Cincinnati's recruiting in the last 5 years, not 1 5 star.

And we have bonus recruits as well so 10 4 stars is possible under the rules

13. Masler

Masler Moderator

You will also have the chance to get bonus 5 stars, those will be explained later. We can't let everyone go crazy with the five stars or the computer will never get talent either. Plus with some of the teams we will have getting 2 five stars is a pretty good achievement. There is alot of talent in 4 stars, I've even see 3 stars come in at 80 or higher. Plus if you have seen some of the videos explaining recruiting, 5 stars are not going to be coming in at 85 or 89 overall very often, more like 80 or 82 at best.

From past experiences 4-3 and 3-4 are the best base defenses to run. Anything but offers too much room for cheese and arguments, until I can confirm things have changed in '11 this rule will remain the same.

Every league I am in or ever have been in does the Persuade Player rule. I have never seen a problem, it is usually a rule only for leaving Juniors, if they try to leave as a Sophomore I would let you persuade them, but I have never seen that happen. This rule mainly cuts down on stat whoring and cheese, a lot of people will cheese/stat whore with their best player, try to win the Heisman with big yardage etc etc. Well that's how you crack down on that.

I will be editing the Gameplanning just a bit, bear with me on that one.

14. Hova

The players leaving rule also reflects real life as they are to easy to persuade to stay. No kid is going to stay for his senior year if he can be a top 5 NFL draft pick which Tebow and Colt were not

15. OUNCAAOLD

OUNCAAOLD Walk On

Sorry to be hard headed, but they made a big deal about updating the recruiting and making it harder and the computer much better at it. Also, your comment about 5*s coming in at 80 instead of 89 is even more of a reason we should be able to recruit them.

If this was ncaa09, i would be totally onboard for these rules because it was ridiculous and you could just load up on 4 and 5 stars, but it seems that things have changed and been updated.

16. OUNCAAOLD

OUNCAAOLD Walk On

Sam Bradford projected number one in most mock drafts in 09

17. Masler

Masler Moderator

you can easily get 10 4 stars without breaking the rules. If you sign no 5 stars or have no interest in 5 stars then by all means use your bonus recruits as 4 stars plus your 7 allowed, easily get 10. Not saying anyone will but still.

Not to be rude to anyone, but me, Hova and JC have all been on this site for a while and have all played by these rules, both leagues have never had any complaints and are two of the most active/popular leagues. We know how to play by them and Drifters main goal with this league was to give new members and home and chance to play good sim ball. It took me a couple months to get adjusted to the way things were ran around here and I am glad I did cuz I've have extreme fun.

Now, I am not saying those rules are final, I am only stating this is the base I would like to follow. IF '11 does indeed show improvement on a few things they will indeed be updated in the rules accordingly.

18. Diabolicole

Diabolicole Walk On

If they have toned down the Ovr rating that 5 stars are coming in at, wouldn't that be a good reason to abolish the limit rule?

To me it seems that there won't be much difference in a team who has a great season, wins his conf and a huge bowl win vs a team that has a mediocre season.

I would hate to see someone have penalties after a great season and they end up with 3 or 4, 5 star recruits. To me they deserve it if they can manage to out-recruit the 11 other users and the CPU?

19. Masler

Masler Moderator

'09 was also a very simple game to figure out. I could roll out every play and bomb it. TD everytime.

In the NCAA demo I tried it once just for a laugh and got pick 6ed....huge difference. I don't think I could stand playing '09 again, just too messed up.

20. Hova

I'm willing to bet you wont even be able to sign more than 2 5 stars in NCAA 11 with Cal. Especially with the new recruiting where you cannot pump hours into recruits, and pitches are random. You can only use 1 hour per recruit max in NCAA 11. USC should dominate california

21. Masler

Masler Moderator

The fact is with the teams we are using, don't expect to get 5 stars. Most of these teams won't see a 5 star in real life for 3-5 years. Every high prospect wants a high school. Once you get to be a high caliber school you will see the 5 stars become more interested but if I give no limit, CPU ability goes down. They will have no talent and everyone will end up with 8+ wins because their teams are stacked.

The first few seasons will be rough.

22. Hova

And every single premier league on these website has some sort of recruiting restrictions so this is something you guys will have to get accustomed to (tracking and posting). Especially since this is a sort of feeder league for those.

23. Diabolicole

Diabolicole Walk On

About not getting any 5 stars at Cal*
    When you say something like that, it seems like you are arguing against a recruiting cap also.
    I agree that I might not be able to score more than 2 5 stars and that would be awesome because they would have toned recruiting. But after 5 years, if I manage to bring Cal to a place where they are close to a USC level of consistent success, would it not make sense then to be able to land 3 -5 stars in a good year?

I think we're just worried about rules dictating who is good and who isn't instead of competition. If we are building up our schools, at some point, a couple of our schools will be as good as the USC's and TEX's. If you 3-peated with UCLA, wouldn't it make sense that you would be able to land more than 2 - 5 star recruits?

24. Hova

I am just saying the rule will not even come into play the first 2-3 years. Once we see how recruiting works this rule could be changed, Like Masler said this is just a base set based on what we know from NCAA 10 that did work great the whole year

25. Diabolicole

Diabolicole Walk On

Again let me emphasize that I'm also not trying to start trouble, I just want to fully understand the reasoning behind the rules and also help to make the dynasty fair. I understand that you guys have played with these rules and had success, but I have also played for over a decade and have seen some of what works and what doesn't.