Question about Tags?

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by ThaEra25, Aug 25, 2009.

1. ThaEra25

ThaEra25 Oregon=Longhorn Country

Question about Tags?

If a player is currently 26, there is no reason to tag him, is there? Sorry for all the questions just wanna make sure I have all the information before I make these decisions. Also, why is there a need to do this now instead of when the season ends? Especially since the tags are permanent once applied. The only reason I see to do a free agent draft at this time would be for current free agents in the game now, I dont think we should do one with tags for the first season because it would significantly change rosters when in reality most NFL rosters are set except for depth and/or injury issues. Like I said just trying to make sure I fully understand all this.

2. geauxtigers810

geauxtigers810 Walk On

If a player is currently 26 he won't come off your team until 30. There is no reason to tag him now, but if you don't want to lose him when he is 30, you want to make sure you save a tag for him or that you will have one available.

There is really no need to do this now.

I'm not sure I understand the first season tags you mentioned. I don't think tags would have any impact on a pre-season free agent draft. Whoever you draft will be yours until they hit one of the age limits. Then you can decide to tag them or not, just like any other player on your team.

3. BDSDIGITAL

BDSDIGITAL One Time for your Mind

I can tell you that I have one player who is 26 (Braylon Edwards) that I absolutely would've tagged except he's 26 and has 4 seasons before that's necessary. So I chose not to tag him right now. Now, if he comes up for FA and I have already burned all tags then sucks to be me huh? There is an argument for just tagging a guy you know you want to keep regardless of age, and there is an argument to not do it until necessary. That's up to you. I also tagged Joe Thomas who has a few years before he is up for FA but I didn't want to take a chance at all with him so I tagged him now.

I did mine now because it won't change through this year for my team. I know who I need and don't need and the list would have been the same regardless. I also did mine now to see what players I had of value that I wouldn't be able to keep, that might get a good price from a contender in need of a one year rental at a certain position.

As far as the FA draft before this season that's a good point. It wouldn't change things that much as I don't think most of us would take more than 2 guys...the pool isn't that deep really for quality players. There really is only 15-20 good, decent players in the pool from what I remember. But if we do a FA draft before this season, which I am almost sure that we are, those that pick up players would need to remember to add them to their FA list if necessary.

I hope that helps. Good questions. I think we should be asking all the questions possible now rather than later! There are alot of different aspects and inner workings to a league like this so ASK EVERYTHING AND ANYTHING that you can possibly think of....

Thanks for bringing all of this to light.

4. ThaEra25

When you say preseason draft for free agents are you talking about players that are in the game currently not signed to a team and no players off teams?

5. BDSDIGITAL

Yes, current Free Agents in Madden. Marvin Harrison, Edgerrin James, etc. Everyone you see on the FA lists in the roster management threads are available next off season.

6. ThaEra25

Thanks for the insight, I'm starting to get my mind around it now. Just trying to understand everything.

7. BDSDIGITAL

No problem. Don't hesitate to ask anything else.

8. Hova

Hova Live Action. YiYiYi!

Yup the FA draft is just for current FA. Your guys wont be up for FA until the offseason of year 1