Question for the group

Discussion in 'The Trifecta' started by Dru50, Jan 15, 2011.

1. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

Guys, are we still playing using the rules for position changes (ie - playing guys out of position) and the below rule about defensive playcalling:

"Mixing up Playcalls: Coaches should not use 2-3 plays all game and should attempt in most instances to match up their defensive packages with the offensive packages on the field. In other words, you should not run a 4-3 vs 4 and 5 wide sets all game and you should not run a 3-2-6 on first down vs a 2 TE set. History has shown that the NCAA games do not function realistically in these situations."

I'm just curious based on some things I've experienced/seen in the last season and stuff I've heard from some others.

I don't really care either way, just want to know if I need to start joining in on the fun.

2. Jman

Jman It's a Flying Circus!

I played one of my TB's at WR in a few sets last year but only because he was better than the guy that was there and I needed all the threats on the field I could have, but other than that I still play them within postition.

On playcalls, I bounce between 4-3, 3-4, 46, and even the 5-2 during a game against quasi base packages. Put 3 for or 5 out there though the Nickel or Dime it is. But, I try to change me defensive calls alot, mainly because my defense is fucking terrible. If they were good then I'd probably stay base alot more.

3. gowazzucougs

gowazzucougs WSU is better than UCLA

I believe I mix up the play calling, only complaint some one could give me is that I have several plays that seem like the same play just ran out of different formations. On defense I try to mix it up, but I probably go back to the same play calls eventually. If you come out with 2 receivers I am generally in my base defense, unless i believe you are going to pass. If you come out with 3, 4, or 5 receivers I come out in nickel or dme.

4. Bl0ndeRedHead

Bl0ndeRedHead Official TSO Pothead

Ya I like switching it up on defense, using the multiple playbook helps. I don't have a "base" defense per se, if you come out in 2WR I'm gonna throw 4-3, 3-4, or 5-2 at you for the most part, and anything more than 2WR I'll throw nickel, 3-3-5, or 2-4-5 mostly. On offense I like switching it up and trying to fool the opponent, as playing someone decent and running the same plays will get you in trouble more often than not.

5. Dru50

My questions relate more toward playing guys out of position when they don't meet the weight/speed thresholds spelled out in the rules, or playing nickel/dime vs power running formations on short yardage (because the OL won't properly pick up blitzers from those formations).

If we are now running with an 'anything goes' philosophy that's cool, I just want to adjust my roster and playcalling accordingly.

6. Jman

Jman It's a Flying Circus!

I see. Didn't realize any of this was occurring, but, until this season I've really just stayed in my shell lol

The short yardage stuff would/will piss me off. Thats bullshit, we all know the game has enough problems already.

I already get irritated with the fact that some walk their safeties down on me all game because I'm a run first guy, or user walk a safety down.

Anywho, I'm just rambling now lol

7. vBIG SLICKv

vBIG SLICKv Varsity Baby !!!

I have yet to experience any of this in the user games I have played. Everyone has played me SIM. As far as position changes, I think we should stay within the restrictions spelled out in the rules, but someone needs to repost the restrictions as I can not tell what they are with the way the table reads in the "Rules and Description".

8. Bl0ndeRedHead

Same here...guess us Big 12 guys are solid. Keep an eye out on those Pac-10 bastards ;)

9. Dru50

uhhhh...not for nothing, but the two DEs you have at DT on your depth chart is an example of why I asked this in the first place. The rule in T3 originally (I know it cause I wrote it :)) was that players couldn't be moved to DT if the weighed under 265 or if their speed was over 75.

Now if brave changed that while I was away, then I'm going to assume it's ok for me to play my 250+ lb 88-89 speed LBs at DE (which also wasn't allowed in the original rules).

10. Bl0ndeRedHead

They are? I was not aware, I have yet to examine my depth chart (outside of returners, I always change that right away lol). I know I have 3 DEs at 94-95 and above, and one of them will be on the bench, so the CPU may have put the backup RE at DT cuz he's the best overall DT available and wouldn't play DE. That'd be something I would change, thanks for the heads up.

11. Bl0ndeRedHead

And looking at my roster online right now, I don't know how I have TWO ends starting at DT, I only have 3 good DEs, that's strange

12. Dru50

No worries, you actually do have a DE who is like 286 lb's with 74 SPD I believe who you could play at DT under the original rules.

I should have the original rules in a word file if brave wants to unlock the rules thread I could post it again in a more readable format.

13. Dru50

@bravejaf, can you give us your ruling on this? I'd like to know (if possible) what guidelines are in place before I play nebraska at 1:30 today.

Thanks

14. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

Yeah he does need to change that. Defensive ends can only be moved to DT if they are above 265 and have sub-75 speed. The same applies to changes on the depth chart.

15. Dru50

@bravejaf - how about the use of nickel or dime sets vs 2te and other power running sets (especially in short yardage situations). Is that still considered outsider the rules for t3 or can defenses call whatever defense they want regardless of offensive formation/down/distance?

16. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

Yeah I'm not saying people have to match the personnel exactly but calling a 3-2-6 or dime defense against a big/2TE set in short yardage situations is outside the rules. Unfortunately there is still balancing issues in this game and plays work better than they probably should.

17. Vandermint

Vandermint Walk On

Brave, the 4-2-5 makes the last of the "5" your backup SS. I've used formation changes to make this my 3rd best linebacker or corner depending on the formation. (I think I have the LB in for the Bear formation as it seems a little more run heavy along with the 4-2-5 Over.) I don't think this is cheese since it basically creates either a nickel or a 4-3, but if it's against the spirit let me know.