Question for you computer guys

Discussion in 'The Cheap Seats' started by GoGators, Jan 25, 2010.

1. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

Question for you computer guys

After watching Avatar and it's amazing/life like graphics, how long do you think it will be before those graphics make their way into video games?

Obviously they can't make a $200M video game, but the characters looked so real and moved so fluidly, I can't help but wonder when EA sports games will look like that.

However, I'd rather have them fix gameplay first.

2. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    It took an array of 4,000 servers to render the graphics for Avatar...also the whole movie took up over a petabyte of storage (over a million gigabytes).

So, it will be awhile, if ever.

3. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    Shaun just shooting the hopes of people down!

4. GoGators

No joke! What a dream crusher haha.

Then how about how long before we get 3-D video games?

If they're going to be able to broadcast bowl games and stuff in 3-D, shouldn't they be able to do it with a video game too?

5. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

Why.. I don't want anything in 3-d. I'm either there or watchin HD.

6. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    Yeah I want zero to do with 3-d right now.

Motion capture is a fantastic tool if you know how to do it right. Unfortunately from the EA dev videos leading up to the launch of NCAA '10, it looks like they aren't using REAL athletes for their sessions.

7. GoGators

That would lead me to another question. Have you guys seen the new backbreaker game that's coming out this spring?

It's a football game developed using the same engine as Grand Theft Auto. So, there's no preprogrammed animations, it's all physics and situational based. You can read more about it at Operation Sports.

The one thing I really like about the game they're making is the defensive camera angle. It's the same as the offense, but from the defensive side of the ball. I really hope EA implements this because it's cheesy playing against a user on defense when he's seeing your play develop exactly as you are at QB.

8. BlyGilmore

BlyGilmore It's All In The Hips!

Yeah it was the same thing with the Lord of the Rings movies - especially the last one. There were all sorts of very realistic CGI elements in those movies, but Peter Jackson literally had to build a server farm that was running damn near around the clock to render all of it.

9. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    They already have this in NCAA, just click the left stick.