Question on Modifers

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by coachgaddy, Nov 22, 2010.

1. coachgaddy

coachgaddy Mega 49ers, OMFL Pats

Now I know that the next player in line moves up in modifier but here is an example of an issue I seen.

I have 3 Quarterbacks Mcnabb (5), Grossman (3), Bartel (1). At season end Grossman decline in overall and Bartell jumps up in overall which by rule means that Bartell gets the (3) modifier. What I'm asking is that there should be a time limit to that cap change and here's why.

What if you have a trade in place to bring in a better QB (Vick) with an higher over than Bartel before the season started. Then Vick should be awared the (3) modifier and Bartel stay the same, in a real life situation Bartel would only get a pay raise if he is for sure the #2 QB going into week 1 since he is not and vick is there no team would pay two backup QB's the same price. There should be a time limit to cut off when a modifier for the next player jumps up. If you plan on going into the season with an existing player on the roster and he is due a pay jump then pay him but if you already have a suitable player on the way to take that modifier then why pay two people the same amount if they are not equal. Are we changing modifiers too rapidly without taking into consideration the new player coming in?

2. greeeeeeeeg2003

greeeeeeeeg2003 Walk On

I wouldn't mind having this rule amended as well. It is pretty obvious I need a LE seeing my starter is a 69 ovr. Don't really want to pay him a 3 mod when i land someone in FA who is more suitable for the 3 mod tag.

3. saintsdave75

saintsdave75 Walk On

I know it sucks, but it's not really feasible to set a modifier based on owner's intent

4. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

The modifiers are locked after progression/regression and then redone once more after FA. It sucks for those that get screwed, but trust me when I say everyone is getting screwed somewhere. It's part of the beauty of the system - it shows no prejudice in screwing up caps for everyone.

So if you have a guy that you sign that has a three modifier (or a starter modifier), then I would suggest cutting the other guy you don't want (or don't want to pay) and try to resign him later in the season or let him go period. Again, part of the beauty of the system. Guys get cut all the time in the NFL and resigned a few days later by the same team. For a small cap penalty, you can do the same thing. As long as minimum roster restrictions are maintained, that is.

5. Jethro

Jethro Walk On

According to the official cap book I have 2 running backs with 4 modifiers, why is that the case?

6. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Steelers traded for Leon Washington. He was a 4 modifier on Seahawks. When you trade for a player, you inherit their modifier.