Question regarding formations

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by justadude, Jan 10, 2011.

1. justadude

justadude Walk On

I was under the impressing that this league wanted to privilege Spread playbooks. I was informed during a game that it was a shotgun league and proceeded to call only shotgun formations because I was unsure of the requirements.

I would like to know if it is still alright to call other formations. Especially since the army playbook has no Shotgun formations in it at all and is being used by Archie.

Regards

2. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I think the triple option playbooks (Army, Navy, and GTech) are the most difficult in the game to run, and this is why they're allowed. However, if it turns out that these books are overpowered and provide an unfair advantage against our settings, I'll move to a conventional spread offense.

As for the under center stuff that most spread books have, I don't necessarily think any sets are off limits. I just think we be in the gun on the majority of plays. Spread teams go under center at times. No reason to chop up the playbook, if you ask me.

But it's easy's call, and he might say something different.

No big deal if I have to go another way. I'm just running this style because no one else tries it.

3. egofailure

egofailure Sim habits die hard!

Call me crazy, but I've had more trouble running under center in this league than in Sim-Nation.

4. justadude

justadude Walk On

I agree that the option stuff is hard to run and personally do not mind if someone uses such a playbook. While I will run primarily out of the shotgun to keep with the spirit of the league, I will still be going under center regularly in certain situations when field position or down and distance warrant it.

I ran well out of the shotgun, but I might switch back to the Miss State U playbook with this new development.

Thanks

Ps. you forgot Air Force (Colorado Springs is my hometown).

5. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

There are currently no playbook limitations. The spirit of the league is shotgun offense, or option offense as an alternative but again I have never banned anything. I figured let people run what they want and if we are having out of proportion stats then we need to either dial something up, or ban the formations. I would rather we not have to ban books or formations so I think we need to keep that in mind.

6. kaluelsa

kaluelsa Walk On

Ok, I didn't know this. I've been running from under center quite a lot. Can I change my playbook? I use Nebraska, but will switch to a spread or air raid book if it's allowed.

7. justadude

justadude Walk On

The playbook you use Week 4 is the one you are locked into until bowl season. Then you may switch to one of the same type.

8. egofailure

egofailure Sim habits die hard!

Sweet. I'm ashamed to admit that I've been rolling with Clemson's book (by far my fav') to start the season. It's technically a spread offense, but more so on the light side. In my (little) spare time of late, I've been getting familiar with Auburn's book. I'll be switching to that PB by (at least) Week 4, which should result in a loss or two down the stretch. I'm not sweatin' it, though. I'm going to have a lot more fun getting out of my comfort zone.

9. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

Use whatever book you want! Lol...I don't want to limit people, I think our sliders are tough and until I see a statistical problem NOTHING is banned.

Hypothetically speaking, if I would have to ban a set of books in week 8 of this season and one of you have that book, then I would allow you to switch. What I don't want are people changing books over and over again throughout the season. Due to the new sliders I figured we could have a four week trial to see what we like and what works for us effectively.

Does this clarify things?