Questions

Discussion in 'The Experience' started by DatNDaz, Jul 30, 2009.

1. DatNDaz

DatNDaz Walk On

Questions

A few things that I've got questions on since I've been away for a while

-Thanks for Raz and AG for putting up the list of Bonus recruits. I thought I had offered to be the keeper of that list a while back but maybe not or maybe it was missed. Raz, if you want to do it, feel free. If you want to push something off your plate, I'm happy to do it. My plan is to do some recruiting write-ups for the league anyway so I figured I'd keep the list while I'm at it.

-Have we determined what to do with offseason recruits? Do they always fall in the 1, 11, 21, 31.... spots? If no one knows, I'll do some testing. Also, something for us to think about- usually recruiting time in the offseason is plentiful, and if we're going to put limits on the newly introduced players (or keep them off limits entirely) offseason recruiting hours will be plentiful for most of us. Because of that, do we want to put some limit on talking transfers/NFL departures into staying? I can't remember if they fixed the bug or not, but I'd be in favor of not allowing it or limiting to 1 player.

-Has the "Scouting Reports" section of the boards become our recruiting reports home? If so, should we have it renamed?

-Along the same lines, we might want to come to some kind of consensus on where we're going to post things. We have lots of great mediums now (forum, team blogs, E-League blog, OFFL website), and if we're all posting things in different places, it might get confusing and/or people will miss stuff because there gets to be too many places to check. I like our team blogs, but is the E-League blog necessary now that we have the website?

-What is the plan with Sliders? It looks like we ignored them in favor of getting things kicked off, which is fine, but inevitably we're going to find AA with default sliders too easy. I know every year people say "this year AA looks like it will be challenging with the right sliders", but after a couple months it always ends up being too easy. Has anyone tried playing with sliders since the patch came out? Or is there any guidance on the message boards? Maybe we can plug in some AA sliders that seem to be getting the most support on the boards and test/tweak from there. I'll do some looking.

2. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

In the one test season I did (I know, it's an extremely small sample size) it looked to me that the bonus recruits were as Geauxlden said (although I admit it was difficult for me to tell which were the new recruits).

From what I've read, the CPU basically doesn't recruit these bonus guys very much at all, so I wouldn't have a problem with us not being able to recruit them either. I think that we will have a decent amount of talent to start with with just the original recruits. It's very possible that there's not enough to go around with our original ones, but I'd be for excluding the bonus guys for 1 season and then determining if we need them or not. That way, if we're wrong, then we'll be weaker for it instead of stronger, which I think is a good thing.

I agree with this. I think that links to our blogs in the summaries forum along with our team blogs and the website for various other things is good.

I'm still toying around with sliders for my offline dynasty, but I'm only testing on Heisman. While others feel that AA can be made difficult enough with sliders, I think that our MM league has shown that Heisman can be made easy enough with sliders (CSU beat CU and SJSU beat USC!?!?!). I think that this would give us more room to grow as I think if we really hammered AA with sliders, eventually we'd still outgrow it and need to move up to Heisman (which would then require drastic slider tweaks to get it where we want). If we start on Heisman (which I admit is more difficult on default this year than it was last year) we should be able to find something that works now, and then just slightly tweak it as we get better teams.

3. Razcalking1978

Razcalking1978 OFFL TeamBuilder Commish

Heya Dat. I'll hand over the recruit tracking duties to you. As for sliders, the Commishes have been testing a couple of sets over the last couple of days.

4. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

I played a game last night with the sliders that Maynard posted and had a heck of a game with ASU at Georgia. They moved the ball well on offense and even carved me up on the ground. It was a bit of a struggle for yards on offense but I was able to make some plays on 3rd down to keep drives moving. I ended up winning by 3 but if not for 2 lucky INT's that we're deflected at the line I may have lost by 10.

5. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I tried those sliders against a chump, just to see what would happen. Beat ULL as Notre Dame 45-3, and loved the feel of it. A real stick jock might be able to add another 20 to that top number, but we'll just have to police that kind of thing. The balance was great. We may end up on Heisman eventually, but I think guys will like this set in the meantime.

6. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

And to answer one of Dat's questions - I'd like to move away from the blogs and towards the site, but the site is more difficult to use. If you guys are willing to learn, I am willing to teach the basics and clean up mistakes and such. We do that, and I think the site and the forums will be all we need.

Who's with me?

AG

7. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Just to add on to that - we went to the blogs in order to create a setup like the site, but then Ryno created a site for us. If we didn't already have the blogs, they probably wouldn't have started. It's up to you guys, but with video enobled on the site, the blogs are becoming redundant. Just my opinion.

AG

8. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

I actually think that the wordpress is easier than the blog. But then again I'm the guy who doesn't even have a cpu right now.

9. Razcalking1978

I'm willing to switch over to the site. As for the sliders, the real test is whether a stick-jockey can beat a powerhouse with a cupcake. That's what started the slider talk in the first place.

10. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    So, I think us deciding what the sliders are and then use them globally would be a sound idea.

Winning the Heisman in the East doesn't mean as much if the West is harder, etc.

11. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    I will do that test tonight, though I am not the best stick here, for sure.

12. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

We could run with the slider and penalties in the E League this week and see how it goes. I'm pretty sure I have what is as close to OD herpes this week, bye week, but it will give others a chance top check it out. I would suggest turning down the facemask though I was getting a lot of penalties even on consevative strip ball.

13. Razcalking1978

Agreed - no need to up facemask penalties.

14. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Let's keep the discussion going, but by advance time, I'd like to have a slider set chosen. Maynard's play great so far, and I'd like to go with them. But I'd like to hear everyone's input. If there's a reason not to make the global change, I'd like to hear it.

AG

15. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

All my guys were ready so I advanced the East about 5 minutes ago.

16. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Why?

You know these guys are going to own you in a month. They'll make demands, crybaby, you name it. Then they'll quit. It's all coming. Just read all the dead league posts you can find out there. They all start like this.

Just getting my "I told you so's" in there in advance. They're not even posting anything. And now they won't.

AG

- And yes, I know they can come here and read this. I simply don't care.

17. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

I don't know how guys will "own me". If they want to pout I will remind them that being in the league is a privilege and not a right. If they quit so be it, the league moves on without them. And I advanced because its Thursday and all my guys have their stuff done.

18. jello1717

I'd like to go on record as saying that I like my blog and it's pretty easy to enter new stuff in there. On the other hand, I find world press to be a world class pain in my ass where I can't even figure out how to do simple things like change font.

In addition to being able to enter new stuff easily, I like how I can have all the cool other things on my blog (ie. slide shows, standings, season stats, etc).

19. jmillhimes

jmillhimes Walk On

I dont care which direction we go. Im just here for the free milk and cookies

20. jello1717

Can someone post a link to the sliders you're trying out? I'd like to play with them tonight if I have time. I'll use Michigan (or course). Let me know if you want me to play an equal team, a cupcake, or a Florida (I'll do whatever from which you need more data points).

21. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

No one in this gig is a real expert, but I have a full year under my belt and I've watched all the others die off while my league kept getting bigger and better.

What I'm saying is that you're programming expectations. No one will see it as a one time thing. It has been done, and now they will expect it to be done whenever they want. They'll be asking again on Saturday, and they won't post a thing. Expectations will go up, and activity will go down. And then they're gone. The good ones will leave, too, because they won't want to play with the guys who only show up on XBL.

Let your 12 prove me wrong. Quote me over there and challenge them not to suck. I mean, a paragraph summary and a running list of recruits is not much to ask, is it? I bet you don't get half of them to do it, though I sincerely hope I end up eating that statement.

You need to be booting them, not caving to them.

Please understand that I mean this in the friendliest way. I want to help. No one's old-school around here yet, but I'm pretty close, and this scenario is looking familiar.

AG

22. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

QB Accuracy 15/15
    Pass Block 45/0
    WR Catch 40/40
    RB Ability 60/60
    Run Block 50/50

Pass Cover 95/70
    Pass Rush 100/45
    Inter 15/15
    Rush Dee 15/50
    Tackle 55/60

FG Power 30/30
    FG Accur 25/50
    Punt Power 50/55
    Punt Accur 15/50
    KO Power 40/45

offsides 100
    false start 90
    holding 50
    facemask 55
    Off Pass Inter 100
    Dee Pass Inter 100
    Clipping 55
    Int Grounding 75
    Rough Pass 100
    Rough Kick 100

23. I agree in that we need a more centralized place to do our updates. I prefer the forums myself. Yes, not as nice looking and flashy as the blog's but once place for all info is better in my opinion. I also feel that the website is easier to use. The blog is nice but it seems easier for me to make my posts more flashy here.

24. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

We'd have to make a few changes, but we could get it done.

I don't know how to make the tables work on WordPress, so much of the summaries are not yet usable to me over there. Any ideas how me might be able to get past this?

And could you post that list of logos from that Photobucket page you posted a while back? I lost track of that.

Thanks,

AG

25. Razcalking1978

The whole East advance is likely my fault - sorry 'bout that.