"quick kicks" w/ QB (or any other non K/P player)

Discussion in 'NCAA Football' started by MurkYa21, Jun 21, 2010.

?

no huddle to punt w/ QB?

1. Sim

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Unsim

100.0%
  1. MurkYa21

MurkYa21 Walk On

"quick kicks" w/ QB (or any other non K/P player)

I noticed that one of the Freshman QB's for Texas has rediculous kick power and accuracy (92/82).

Is it considered sim to have him as your punter, making the defense have to respect the fake more often?

Also, what about going no huddle and audibling to a punt formation and punting with him?

You'd only be allowed to do this in areas you could go for it on fourth down.

sim or unsim?

I consider this strategy, my HS did "quick kicks" with our QB all the time so the defense wouldn't have a guy deep since they had to respect that we may go for it on fourth since we punted out of our base offensive formation.

2. Bamaboiking

Bamaboiking Walk On

I dont really see a problem with using him, its just a case of a playing being good at two positions and being able to used in multiple situations.

3. BDSDIGITAL

BDSDIGITAL One Time for your Mind

I think the audible thing sounds kinda weak, but having your QB kick shouldn't be a big deal...

4. MurkYa21

MurkYa21 Walk On

It would obviously be inside the 50, and you can audible from your defense to punt return if you choose. The match ups would still be fair with OL and DL on the field, if anything it would be an advantage to the defense since there would be 5 OL out there and recievers trying to make a tackle.

5. Shino45

Shino45 Walk On

My opinion.... I would say not sim. Only because I do not recall seeing a Qb line up in formation, and then audible to a "QB-punt" in the NCAA. I know this kind of stuff happens in high school, but I've not seen this in the NCAA. Also I do not think programs would risk the injury to a QB on a punt (Defense rolling into the QB legs on the punt).

Now as an emergency kicker/punter if the starter gets hurt.... I understand that if he's just a back-up QB.

6. MorsDraconis

MorsDraconis Walk On

WVU did it a couple of times with various players.

Owen Schmitt used to quick kick it at lot:

[YOUTUBE]eHrrrNvpTkg[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]z5QPTHEgkso[/YOUTUBE]

I'd say it's VERY sim as long as it's done at a time when it was legal for the player to legitimately go for it on 4th down. Just taking advantage of a dual "threat" player in another way.

7. bcduggan

bcduggan Walk On

Didn't McCoy punt a few times with Texas in a quick kick type of formation?

8. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

I would say sim if:

-You meet the criteria for going for it on 4th down
    -Once you audible to a punt formation you must stay in that formation. Multiple audibles may piss the other person off and people would start complaining.

I wouldn't mind if someone had a dual threat QB in that aspect do that to me. I'm all about startegy.

9. onaradio34

onaradio34 Tryin not to show how little I know bout anything

I don't see why you would feel the need to go no-huddle. Why not just set punt as one of your audibles and call a shotgun play from the huddle?

Doing it because the situation calls for it can be argued as sim. Doing it because your QB has good ratings is not, IMO.

I would also use it very sparingly. If someone did it to me more than once, I would be irritated.

Tennessee used to do this back in the Johnny Major HC era, only he used it on 3rd downs if he had a really long 3rd down around the 50. Honestly, I thought thats why its called a "quick kick", because you kicked it before 4th...not because it was "quick".

10. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

Onaradio is correct, it's called a 'quick kick' because it's done by the QB on a down earlier than 4th. Theory is that the QB kicks it on say 3rd and long and with the defense surprised the kicking team has a much better chance of downing the kick in better position than if a normal punt was called.

To me it feels cheesy, and if you used it more than once in a game you'd be lucky that the game doesn't allow us to intentionally take out a players knees, cause I'd have my guys looking to get your QB an appointment with Dr James Andrews.

I'm of the opinion that if you are going to go on 4th, call an offensive play and go for it. Playing a QB at punter is not really much better than putting a WR at TE.

11. MurkYa21

MurkYa21 Walk On

I agree with everything you said except the last sentence. If the guy can kick the ball and throw the ball why not play him there if he is just as good as your kicker. If a WR was just as big as a TE and could block, but was faster with better catch ratings why not put him there. I don't think their the same.

12. Shino45

Shino45 Walk On

I don't think that "Quick kick" is the same thing. Still the player is not going into a full out punt formation. That's a team Quick kicking out of an offensive set. Not a team coming out in an offensive set, then audible to a a true punt formation. If you can show me examples of teams doing this in college, then I would say it could be sim. But I do not see this happening. If teams are in true punt formation then it's a punter punting the ball. Now if EA if sets up a quick kick formation, thats different.

13. MurkYa21

MurkYa21 Walk On

Unfortunately I doubt EA gives us that option (to punt out of offensive formations), but you guys are right - it's probably not a good idea to do this.

14. Dru50

Yes, but all TF dynasties (as far as I know) have rules about having players switch positions, such as WR to TE or S to LB, because EA never properly balances things out.

Taking your argument to the natural end, someone could make the case of playing a QB at P who only has 70 KPW, because they could argue that he's willing to give up 5 yards of field position for the ability to threaten the fake more often. Neither is really sim, but if allow one QB to do it, why wouldn't you allow others to?

There are a number of reasons you don't see real teams play even backup QBs at P or K, such as injury risk. I don't see it as being sim and wouldn't allow it in my league, but to each their own.

15. Juggernautblitz

Juggernautblitz Carbon glutton

Yeah, I think it is sim and I don't think it needs to be in area where you'd be going for it on 4th down. I love the chess match that football can be and sometimes that means getting yourself out of bad field position when it is 3rd and really long with a very slim chance of converting. Having the ability to quick kick on 3rd and 30 from your own 15 and possibly getting a great bounce to change the field position battle is a part of football.

16. MurkYa21

MurkYa21 Walk On

So, basically you're saying since there is no chance at injury, and I'm not taking the risk a coach would have to in real life it's not sim? Yeah, I see what your saying, makes sense.

I think I used 'quick kick' in the wrong sense, but yeah I used to do that all the time - come out on 3rd down and punt to get good field position. lmao, I'd always get messages from my opponent, "you know it was 3rd down, right?"..

haha, but still I don't think it would be tolerated to go no huddle from 2nd to 3rd down into a punt formation. I dont know..

This was all just something that came to mind, I don't know that I'd actually do it, just trying to spark some conversation.

17. Dru50

The injury risk is only one issue why I don't think you'd see a college coach use a QB as punter, but I think I misunderstood what you were asking about. I thought you were talking about playing a QB at punter full time so you could run more fake punts.

I think I see now that you were asking about having you QB punt on 3rd and long. If you want to punt on an early down I don't think anyone would have a problem with that. Personally, I prefer to take my chances throwing the ball.

18. MurkYa21

MurkYa21 Walk On

Dru...I don't even know what I'm talking about anymore :D

19. Dru50

Glad I'm not the only one who is confused. ;)

20. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

I'm a high school coach and our qb could punt and we lined up in spread and let him punt. We did this to keep the ball for a dangerous returner on the other team by the name of BRANDON JAMES. It worked to perfection pinned them inside the 10 twice, he never returned a ball in that game.

21. Dru50

Nobody is saying it doesn't happen in high school. I'm guessing you had your QB kick because your P wasn't very good.

There is a high school offense I read about a couple years ago that was setting records by having only three OL on every play. My point was you don't see big time college programs using their QB to punt. They recruit kids who specialize in kicking to kick.

22. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

At least I got to see a little bit about my Penn State team for Legacy, but yeah that guy is a tool. I only watched about the first 4 minutes so far. Might go back and watch more at a later time.

23. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

nice tool to have if you don't want a dangerous returner on the field that's all i'm saying

24. bcduggan

bcduggan Walk On

To answer my question from before:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/stats?playerId=175772

Colt McCoy punted 9 times as a Longhorn. I'm pretty sure they were quick kick formations on 3rd down or 4th down and they lined up to go for it.

Don't know if it would be case this year but if EA has athletes like last season as recruits they will be quite a few QBs/HBs/ATH who could punt. In every dynasty I had at least 3 players signed that could kick/punt and their primary position was either QB or HB. In one dynasty I had to get permission to convert a QB to punter because I was short 1 punter. He was in low 70s for KPW/KAC.

25. MurkYa21

MurkYa21 Walk On

Yeah, McCoy did quick kick alot..

check the first post..They have a Freshman QB with 92 kpw and 82 kac