Quick overview of Auburn's SEC Title win

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by Hellisan, Sep 29, 2009.

1. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Quick overview of Auburn's SEC Title win

I figured that Ramirez would post something but I'll just throw something up since he didn't.

Just as we have the last two times we've faced Auburn, our defense came out like gangbusters yesterday. Only it doesn't seem to matter. An intercepted pitch and an intercepted pass yielded a return TD and a field goal, and we were up 10-0. Insert the Price is right horns, because it was all downhill from that point on.

Ramirez had the right play for every situation from that point out. We were out playcalled and also out "physicalled" in this game.

At times we were too passive (kicking on 4th and 1) and at other times too aggressive but we never were able to strike the right mix.

After the two early mistakes Kody Burns could do no wrong, it got to the point where he got surprised by a blitz, broke a tackle attempt in the backfield then threw a horrible pass right to my CB who dropped it like a hot potato. Two breaks on one play was practically the norm for Burns. When he wasn't doing that he was making the right reads though. I can't even remember the scoring plays other than a toss to Barnes when we were expecting a FB run. Stuff like that. Great game plan and play calling combined with a few breaks and you have an easy win.

GG and congrats on the SEC title.

I think the final score was 31-18.

2. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

I read this and it reminded me of a deep thought. Sorry 'bout the shitty memory/writeup.

------
    The memories of my family outings are still a source of strength to me. I
    remember we'd all pile into the car- I forgot what kind it was- and drive and
    drive. I'm not sure where we'd go, but I think there were some trees there.
    The smell of something was strong as we played whatever sport we played. I
    remember a bigger, older guy we called "Dad". We'd eat some stuff, or not,
    and then I think we went home. I guess some things never leave you.

3. MRamirez

MRamirez Go Devils!

Auburn really got off to a bad start in this one.....

I opened the game running option and his LB/S was coming up for what look like an attempt on my QB but I pitched a hair to early to Barnes in what looked like a big play for Barnes..His LB/S catches the ball mid-pitch and trots into the endzone.

7-0 Georgia

I received the ball and was moving down the field and Helli called a perfect defense, in my desperation to avoid a sack I clearly threw the ball to a LB who had laid in underneath the "slant".

Georgia would drive but I would stuff him on 3rd and 1 at my 18. Hellisan always plays conservative on these calls because I would have really considered going for it. Helli Kicks field goal. 10-0 Georgia

Auburn drives and stalls at the Georgia 36... Auburn elects to go on 4th and 9 and throws a beatiful pass straight up the hash mark for a 17 yard gain. Auburn struggles to score from there but eventually gets in to close the gap to 10-7Georgia.

Georgia drives very easy using the pass to move down field and eventually stalls but is able to capitalize with a FG. 13-7 Georgia.

Burns and the Auburn offense at this point were really in the zone and was able to mix the play calling using a variety of passes under center, play-action, option, fb runs, and a big dose of Xavier Barnes to go up 14-13. Auburn

Halftime

Auburn gets the kick and continues to move the ball. When playing small ball I do try and take a chance from time to time. I was fortunate to pick the right play against the right defense and I was able to hit a wide open receiver over the middle to go up 21-13. Auburn

Georgia received the ball and looked to be in position but a pitch play turned into a 6 yard loss on 3rd and 1 and resulted in another Georgia punt.

Auburn at this point seemed to have it all going and spent much of the rest of the game pounding the rock and completing safe passes to go up 31-13. Auburn

The game at this point seemed to be in hand and Auburn would finish the game hoping a Texas loss would give them an opportunity to break Mr. Juggalo's heart..... Unfortunately that was not the case.....

4. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

This was a weird one for me to see. Knowing you didn't have Adams, of course everybody you've faced has been trying to pressure you. That was a 90-ish speed WR beating my 94 speed, 98 ACC corner and not only beating him for a catch (happens every time slant against man, thanks EA) but running away from him after that. That's why I think your team was just the more physical. We were playing like asshats, at about 85% speed, and I couldn't seem to get my players to try.

5. jfosh

jfosh Super

Georgia and Auburn....seems to be the norm for the SEC. Congratulations to Auburn on its 1st SEC championship. To bad the SEC got locked out of the National Title game.