Quick question about cutting players...

Discussion in 'The Deuce' started by OMlawdog, Aug 13, 2010.

1. OMlawdog

OMlawdog Going full Cheeze

Quick question about cutting players...

I know we are recruiting to 72 players this year, which means we get 2 cuts of any player we didn't just sign.

Just want to make sure that applies if you have 69 players, and you want to cut 2, you can cut 2 and get down to 67.

Just wanted to be clear that we can only cut 2 players total, but we can cut 2 whether we have 72 or 65.

Thanks

2. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    Honestly I think the rule should be you can cut whoever you want, even if it's a new recruit.

The only reason we saved the new recruits was an attempt to help the CPU out by not allowing us to recruit an "extra" to see what his ratings are only to cut him. I think it's a much more possible scenario with our teams to have academic non-qualifiers and what have you.

3. OMlawdog

I don't have a problem with that, as long as its a max of 2 cuts. If you have 8 walk ons, you are stuck with them, and can only cut 2 each year.

4. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    As for the cap, I think you could look at it one of three ways:

1. Allow teams to only cut back to 70. This is more realistic as most teams stay maxed out on scholarships barring unforseen sanctions by the NCAA or departures/academic disqualified.

2. Allow teams to cut two players no matter what. I'm guessing the only reason someone would do this is to add scholarships to the following years recruiting class (or take some wonky chance on someone decent transfering in).

3. Allow teams under 70 to cut one player and allowing teams over 70 to cut two players in order to get back under the 70 scholarship limit. This is probably the best of both worlds.

5. JrRawlins

JrRawlins People hate me cause they aint me...

maybe only for this season, but i think people should have some type of penalty for over recruiting players, meaning if you grab 3 athletes and their ratings at the position you recruit them are terrible you shouldnt be able to drop all 3 of them.... you should have to keep at least one of them and try to make them a better player.......just my tow cents.......

6. JrRawlins

this............

7. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    Well you would only be able to cut a max of two anyway.

8. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

lol... i need EVERY player i got...

9. JrRawlins

we are not allowed to cut walkons correct?

10. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    The cuts probably should be wild card if we are going to allow anything. Transfers, walk-ons, recruit, etc.

11. JrRawlins

cool, just checkin..

12. OMlawdog

So did we make a decision here?

1 cut if you are under 70, 2 cuts if you are at 70-72; Cut anyone you want.

Do we need to vote on this?

13. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

I vote keep the rules simple. It's going to get tough to police all this stuff when everything is all over the place with If, Then statements everywhere.

My vote:

Recruit to 70 and cut to 68

or

Recruit to 72 and cut to somewhere between 68-70.

Let's limit the If, Then statements please.

14. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

I'm fine with whatever, but would like the ability to cut a player or two. Just tell me the rule and I'll stick with it.

15. OMlawdog

I think the less cuts the better.

Sticking with 2 wild card cuts may just be the way to go. Simplest method and no confusion about what we can do.

That would be my vote.

16. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

Works for me as well.

17. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    It's one If statement...

No way I would be cool with allowing a team to cut 4 players, or even 3 players...

It's pretty simple, you get one cut if you have 70 or under. You get two cuts if you recruit to 72 in order to get back to 70.

We already said that we are going to recruit to 72. So that means that we should only be cutting a maximum of two players. We can do a two-cut broad rule if that is what everyone thinks. In all honesty, having less than 68 players in this years game is probably a huge disadvantage when you consider recruiting and the injuries that plagued most teams in season 1.

18. JrRawlins

I think a flat two cuts only rule is the way to go... Not everyone is gonna cut two players each season....

19. GoGators

I agree with this. Yeah you can gain a recruiting advantage by cutting down to 68, but it's not like years past where you could practically guarantee a :5stars: guy with those extra two schollies.

If you don't sign 70, you get walk-ons up to 70 anyways right? So the least anybody could ever cut down to is 68. I'm fine with that.

20. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    I only think you get walk ons where you don't meet the required number of players for a given position.

21. GoGators

Gotcha. In that case, either one still works with me.

22. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    Just to clarify on transfers:

Transfers do not count against your scholarship limit or the 72 player cap for that year. This is because it's possible to max out your class before the offseason and then receive X number of transfers on top of that.

This usually isn't a problem since we don't usually receive a lot of transfers...