quick question

Discussion in 'Hard Knocks' started by bcduggan, Oct 14, 2012.

1. bcduggan

bcduggan Walk On

Is the rookie reserve part of the salary cap or is it separate from the salary cap?

2. Flyinhi2005

Flyinhi2005 Walk On

This rookie cap is typically something like about $3M - $6M. This is a portion of your overall salary cap, it's not extra money. The contracts you sign with your draftees must fit not only in your overall salary cap, but also inside this rookie cap. For this reason your 1st round draft pick is typically the last to sign. You need to sign everyone else first so that you know how much cap space you have available for the 1st round pick. If you've used up most of your rookie cap on the other players, you're going to have to sign a contract with a bunch of roster bonuses and such to make up the money you need and still fit in this year's camp.

3. Flyinhi2005

Flyinhi2005 Walk On

found it on google.. so dont quote me lol

Last edited: Oct 14, 2012
  4. bcduggan

bcduggan Walk On

Thanks, that was the logic I was using. Was just hoping I was right and didn't screw up in losing 2 players I could use next year. In order to be within cap and rookie reserve I had to let 2 go that I could not afford. The joys of the cap. Lol

5. bcduggan

bcduggan Walk On

I don't want to clutter up the HK section with other quick stupid questions but this has me confused:

I am looking at team salaries, and it currently is showing me all 53 players currently on my team, even those that I did not attempt to resign/ those that did not like my offer. First, should these players still be on my team? Second, if yes, would they have signed for same contract as previous year? Example, WR Mark Clayton did not like my offer to get him to resign, yet he is still on the team with the same contract he had in 2012 as a waiver signee. It lists him as having the same salary in the 2013 cap hit.

I am trying to figure out who should be on my trade block but with what I know I did last night, and what I see here are 2 different things. Can someone please help me figure this out?

6. OMlawdog

OMlawdog Going full Cheeze

It's my understanding that the CPU automatically signs your draft picks this year.

7. bcduggan

bcduggan Walk On

I think BobJr mentioned that at some point. My concern wasn't who signs them. My concern was if I have X number of dollars in cap space, and Y number of dollars in rookie reserve, does Y come out of X or is it separate? I believe Flyinhi2005 answered that for me.

8. HAL9100

HAL9100 TSO's Resident Antagonist

Featured Threads:
    The Rookie Reserve is money set aside from your cap for the draft. So it won't be available to use in FA and won't be something you have to worry about.

9. bcduggan

bcduggan Walk On

So, if my Salary Cap has say 9 million dollars and rookie reserve is 5 million, then I still have the 9 million for free agents? Or I would have 4 million, which is 9 million minus the 5 million.

9 million and 5 million are not my numbers, I don't remember what they are, I just want to see it to understand it.

10. HAL9100

HAL9100 TSO's Resident Antagonist

Featured Threads:
    Your available money under the cap would be $14 mil. The rookie reserve is taking $5 mil away from that and giving you just $9 mil for FAs.

• Like Like x 1