QUICK RULE COMMITTEE VOTE/DISUSSION - MODIFIERS ON BIDS

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by natedawg212000, Aug 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. natedawg212000

natedawg212000 New Orleans Saints

QUICK RULE COMMITTEE VOTE/DISUSSION - MODIFIERS ON BIDS

Win has just showed us that it is currently against our inseason rules to not adjust the modifier on a bid.

I am asking that we make the rules the same, in season and out of season.

It is peoples money, if they want to pay a player as a #1 guy then so be it. I feel owners should be allowed to adjust modifiers as long as they don't go over the 'max' for that position.

please vote.

2. Big D

Big D Walk On

First, is there a reason the rule was put in place like this to begin with? I'd like to get Win's answer on that.

3. natedawg212000

come on fellas, we need to get this decided, this is HUGE!

4. wajomatik

wajomatik Magister De Puer De Vacca

I honestly have no answer as to why its not allowed. I don't see a problem with it

5. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

It was not allowed to allow teams to pursue talent for their squads at little to no increase in base bid/bonus structure. If Team A has a player that would be a #1 for them, but Team B has bid on that player as a #3, Team A could raise the modifier to a #1 modifier and not raise anything else and be way up on the bid. This is to keep higher quality teams from eating up all the talent and keeping parity alive.

At least, that is the idea behind it.

6. natedawg212000

i guess i see the point, but we are up a creek right now because we are goign to have to go through and fix a lot of bids. I guess i dont see the point because even though hes a #2 on your list and a #4 on my team, all i have to do is keep pumping up base/bonus to keep up. I do see the point now, but we need a vote to decide to keep it as is and fix what we have, or reword it and allow guys to adjust modifiers.

7. Emmdotfrisk

Emmdotfrisk Working half days on my days off.

I was under the impressions that the modifier was predetermined. That if you were to sign the guy at a certain point in time his OVR in correspondence to the other players at his position, that would determine his modifier.

For example;

I am wanting to sign Robert You. He is 71 OVR, so he would be 2nd on my depth chart because Leinart is 74 ovr. Even though I have plans to start him he still isn't paid starter money (modifier) because he is technically the 2nd best QB on my team.

8. natedawg212000

and you were correct, others of us including myself thought you could adjust the mod if you want. Can you please give us a vote on weather to leave and fix these mistakes or adjust the rules. Either way we need to decide and fix and move on.

9. Emmdotfrisk

I think there has to be some sort of a constant in bidding. If I were to vote I vote for this...

1. Base salary remains the same according to OVR no matter what, or else you can just adjust base and it doesnt effect bonus when trading or releasing for a cap hit.

2. modifier is constant according to his predetermined spot on the depth chart.

**So when bidding the base stays the same every bid, and bidders can only increase the bonus. Modifier will be according to spot on depth chart. Highest total salary wins.

10. natedawg212000

Ya, I dont think that will work, thats confusing to me and I know the current rules pretty well.

I am ok with leaving modifier alone, but we have to give guys the ability to go after whoever they want.

My vote is to allow all 3 to be changed as a owner sees fit.

Frisk looks to be voting to stay the same as the rules state and as he understood them.

11. Emmdotfrisk

damn, Imma failure. I guess no changing mods

12. natedawg212000

failure? no your not. i just couldn't get your point that you were trying to show. I mean to only allow them to change the bonus handicaps guys I guess. I dont see the problem with allowing them to adjust the salary and bonus and modifiers.

13. Emmdotfrisk

haha I know I am saying i just failed to explain it. I don't know how else to haha

14. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Please leave the bids from this past FA period as is.

This is a learning experience for all of us. And part of the process of putting in rules is seeing how they are interpreted. Sorry for the confusion on the rules.

I would personally suggest that we allow modifier upgrades up to the maximum upgrade. It has to go in the correct setup: Example, a HB bid can go from 1 to 3 to 4 and no higher. Does that make sense?

The only reason I put it in was to keep modifiers in check.

15. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

And also, with free agency, it is the highest contract wins out. So people can change the amount of bonus and base salary as long as their total offer is more than the previous bidder.

In the offseason, with blind bidding, we use those tiebreakers in the rulebook. In regular FA, however, people can tinker with bonus/base salary to get the highest offer possible.

Does that make sense?

16. natedawg212000

YES, BOTH make sense and both I totally agree with.

17. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

WOOHOO!!! Some kind of agreement! lol

I can change the wording after the first wave of free agency is done. I can also put some examples in for changing bonus/base salary structure after we start week 1.

18. natedawg212000

You and i agree with more than you give me credit for.

19. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

My apologies, Nate. Sarcasm does not translate well. ;)

20. natedawg212000

clearly, since you didn't get mine ;)

21. Big D

Big D Walk On

This is confusing me.

I like the idea of what Frisk is saying. . .basically the idea is that a guy is going to want to play on a team where he starts rather than playing 3rd string. Teams would have to offer huge signing bonuses to keep up.

I actually like Frisk's general idea here, although he needs to word it better.

22. natedawg212000

Disagree. A player will go where the money is period. I say we keep this as simple as possible, but I am cool with it either way.

PLEASE VOTE TODAY OR I WILL MAKE THE CALL.

OPTION 1-
    A GM can only offer a player a modifier at the position they will actually play. If he is a starter on team A and a 3rd stringer on team B then those modifiers are the same. Owners may increase the Salary 1 level higher than they are rated, but must increase the bonus on ever bid after that 1 salary level raise.

OPTION 2 -
    A GM can modify all objects, base, bonus, and modifier to offer the player what they see fit.

OPTION 3 -
    A GM can modify the Base 1 level higher than the players overall calls for, but must only increase the modifier and bonus on every bid after that raise.

I am going with OPTION 2. I could live with all of them, but 2 is the one I like. I am serious when I say I can live with all of them, I am simply picking what I feel is the easiest with all of these super complicated things that we have going on right now.

PLEASE VOTE THE ONE YOU LIKE THE BEST.

If nothing wins outright we will eliminate the lowest voted one and vote again.

PLEASE, LETS DECIDE THIS TODAY

23. Emmdotfrisk

I vote option 1.

24. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

I vote option 2. Gives most flexibility to owners and rewards creative contracts. As long as minimum base salary and bonuses are offered, the owner can offer how he sees fit to get the player on his squad.

25. Big D

Big D Walk On

Option 1, with a caveat. . .implemented in Season 2. We are too far along here to go back and change now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.