Quick venting

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Juggernautblitz, Jul 16, 2009.

1. Juggernautblitz

Juggernautblitz Carbon glutton

Quick venting

No one needs to reply to this just want to vent a little more about my tourney game last night.
    No offense to HotRod, who some of you may know, but I outplayed his ass in that game and probably should have won by 14 - 17 pts but ended up losing 42 - 28. The CPU and his constant stripping (every single tackle) blessed me with 5 or 6 fumbles, lost 5, and went on a streak of 3 possessions in a row, or maybe it was 3 out of 4, in the mid 3rd to early 4th when I was up 28-21 and driving and then 28-28 and driving. Every main guy on my O coughed it up, Royster twice, Clark once or twice, my WR once and another from Clark that was my fault because of a bad pitch.
    It was a disappointing way to rep OFFL in that tourney because it was my first game on 2010 and I still played better than him but mainly because of the fumbles I just couldn't get it done. After fumble #3 I was so mad I could not see straight and refused to talk to my wife. I have calmed down since then but am still f***ing pissed.
    I find using the strip tackle on every play a bit cheesy but I guess it is a part of the game, just hope 2010 doesn't reward it unrealistically like last night.

2. Razcalking1978

Razcalking1978 OFFL TeamBuilder Commish

Fumbles happen, man. Same thing in my game against Pryor - 5 lost fumbles, 2 of them on kick returns, 3 when I was in the red zone. All you can do is laugh it off.

Well, that and set your Game Plan to Conservative.

3. Matrix Monkey

Matrix Monkey Walk On

Are you guys using cover ball? I remember when Madden 08 (? I think it was 08) where everyone was all super pissed and complaining about all the fumbles but it was just people not using the button to cover up the ball.

4. Razcalking1978

No, there is a legitimate problem with the Strip Ball gameplan setting - it strips the ball far more often than it gives the facemask penalties that are supposed to balance it.

5. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Yeah it's a frustrating game. In my loss to Geautigers yesterday, he (I thought) played just as well, if not better, than I did. But the things that went against me in that game were just hilarious.

I lost my #1 and #2 quarterbacks. My best RB missed about 1 quarter when I really needed him. My best WR went down for the game and my 2nd best one went down for another quarter. i remember laughing at one point because in the playcalling screen all my WRs had numbers in the 20s (like 20, 22, 26, etc.) No 80's or single digits anywhere. Also lost my best linebacker for a good portion.

I tried to throw an arc over the MLB to a receiver about 10 yards behind him and instead the QB throws a hard pass right to the MLB (which GT made a good play to pick off manually, I admit). I had an INT that was going to be returned for a TD flagged for clipping.

I still made a couple of horrible mistakes but it's just really hard to win a game that way, and obviously I didn't.

My point is I'm feeling your pain Juggernaut. I'm 1-10 now, my only win coming against the cpu, and in every game I feel more like a spectator than a player.

6. Juggernautblitz

Raz, good point on setting it to conservative. Since that was my first game it never even crossed my mind.
    I would say though that I still find trying to strip the ball on every play a little cheddar and that you should not have to forfeit all attempts at spins, jukes, etc., in favor of having to cover up on every single play. I did cover up on about half but the other half that I didn't I coughed it up 5 times. The CPU should not reward stripping that often. Crazy.

7. Newb Slice

Newb Slice Walk On

only team i have a hard time playing against with the strip is USC

8. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

I really believe that you experienced the very high end of what could happen....

9. Blaza

Blaza In Arsene Wenger I Trust

LOL, Meltdown! Don't hold your head Juggs, stranger things have happened in this little football world of ours. You will be on the opposite end of the stick sooner or later.

Besides, you can't be too upset if you were up big and still running option plays. Those things are dangerous! Sure, there is a strip button, but there is also a protect ball button as well. Were you using it?

10. Blaza

Well this is the reason you were fumbling so much right here. Spinning/Juking/etc combined with user strip = fumble. You can't say you want to be able to be careless with the ball and maintain possession every time.

11. MorsDraconis

MorsDraconis Walk On

Yup. You're better off just trying to power through them by hitting up on the right analog stick. Much less chance of fumbling the ball and you still will at least fall forward most times.

12. Juggernautblitz

Blaza, thanks for the advise but I have played this game enough to know what is a smart way to play and what is not. I was not juking, spinning, etc., I was either covering up, sliding with Clark, or hitting the right stick to try to power thru. That's not the point though. Barring playing in a blizzard or a torrential downpour, you should be able to prance around like a ferry, twisting and twirling the night away and not have to worry about 5 lost fumbles. The point was that you shouldn't have to abandon juking, spinning, etc., just because someone chooses to strip on every tackle. Not many real football games have I seen where every tackle is a strip and every run ends with the ball carrier doubling over to protect the ball for the entire 60 minutes. Raz is right that there should be more facemasks called to dampen the temptation to strip like a madman.

13. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Nah, they have it all wrong. There should be more missed tackles. Maybe a few more facemasks too, but missed tackles are the primary problem with attempting to rip the ball free.

14. MorsDraconis

MorsDraconis Walk On

Well, all I know is this:

In the three games I played the first day I got the game (last Friday night) I had somewhere in the neighborhood of 8 or 9 fumbles total.

After those three games, in the 10 or 15 I've played after that (yeah, haven't gotten to play the game much) I've had maybe 7-10 fumbles.

Fumbles happen man and they do sometimes happen in large chunks. Part of the reason is morale and the swing of momentum.

If you took out the HB that fumbled the ball after the 2nd fumble, you probably wouldn't have fumbled the ball again or at least definitely would have had a much less likely time of it.

Now, I'm in no way saying that 5 fumbles in a game like that should be something that isn't worrisome or anything, but sometimes it just seems like the bad luck piles on and sometimes it evens out.

I've had several games that started off REALLY bad for me. Interception on the first drive, then a fumble on the drive after that, and then another interception off of a tipped ball. Instead of getting frustrated by it, I locked down on defense, and things started turning my way.

Like I said before, momentum plays a pretty big role in turnovers now apparently.

15. Razcalking1978

All I know is, after my first fumble, I'm switching to Conservative. Maybe that's a good, realistic thing.

16. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

Yeah i dont like the gameplans or the defensive keys.........they are crap. ON aggressive they still make tackles and then strip the ball.

So we all should play aggresive defense and conservative offense???

I ban all defensive key BS. When you guess right it like the o-line disappears!!

17. HotRod

HotRod You ain't bout dat life!

Featured Threads:
    Every single tackle? Come on now. I stripped your ball when your guy was in the open field and my defender got the angle on him. There was no strip ball strategy used by me the whole game. I stripped manually. Now the fact that there was a lot of fumbles is a game problem not me. I was trying to force turnovers since my defense was not playing well.

18. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

who said anything about you.

gg............i couldnt play defense......hmmm at all.

19. HotRod

Featured Threads:
    That was regarding the first post.I know we talked about it sort of last night but yeah...

20. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

doh......sorry though u were yelling at me:eek:

21. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

that was my worst loss in like a year of ncaa football......I blame West Virginia

22. HotRod

Featured Threads:
    Nah not at all. Just don't want people to get it twisted. I don't even use the damn strategy settings. I just try to adapt to my opponents offense and call the right plays.

23. Blaza

I guess this is where we disagree.

24. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    I've never seen a ferry prance...float, yes, prance...no.

Of course, I don't see that many fairies where I live either.:)

25. Juggernautblitz

Since I retired from writing children's books and being the skipper of a boat I don't get to use the words fairy or ferry as often as I would like, so sorry for the mispelling Shaun. You are welcome to come to my businesses any time and do grammar and spelling checks on all documents we have rolling through here.

HotRod, wasn't really busting on you as much as the fact that the CPU rewards the strip as much as they do. I would say you were stripping on around half or more of your tackles (still too much in my book) and I was covering on around half of my runs. The 1/4 of the times that my cover up didn't mesh with your strip I lost the ball like 3 or 4 times. To me that is waaaay too much when we are talking about a clear as a bell day and quality offensive players in Darryl Clark and Evan Royster who are coughing up the ball.
    No biggie, was only one game and am looking forward to getting into some season play. If we ever see each other on Live at the same time (I am not on much) let's rematch it.

Blaza, I just don't think you get it brother or don't want to read an entire post. I never said I was spinning or juking, just don't think a quality O like Penn State should have to cover up on every play to avoid 5 fumbles per game.

Raz, any idea what the aggressive vs. conservative does? If I would have been in conservative does it affect the RB or QB that I am controlling or just the non user controlled players? Also, what is this key play that you guys are talking about?

I feel like Brock Lesnar, "I love it, keep it going".