Race to the Rose: Week 8

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by onaradio34, Nov 2, 2010.

1. onaradio34

onaradio34 Tryin not to show how little I know bout anything

[​IMG]

Big 10

[​IMG]

The Big 10 is down to 4 teams with a realistic shot of getting to the Rose Bowl. Sorry Minnesota and Northwestern fans, you ain't going. Mich State, Iowa, Ohio State all are undefeated in conference play but Penn State is still lurking only 1 game out.​

Michigan State has already beaten Wisc and Michigan. Week 9's monster matchup with Iowa will tell if Sparty is for real or a product of a light first half schedule. Purdue and Penn State remain in weeks 12 & 13 respectively. Sparty misses Ohio State this year which could set up an unfortunate scenario if both teams run the table. Fortunatley for Sparty in that situation, the Big 10 uses OVR record before BCS standings. Ohio State is #7 ans Sparty is #12.

Iowa stands at #1 in the country as has the best resume of any team with wins over Cal, PSU, and Michigan. The next 2 weeks will be tough with Wisconsin in week 8 and Sparty in week 9. Unlike Sparty, however, Iowa does welcome the Buckeyes to Iowa City week 13 for what many believe will be the Big 10 Championship game.

Speaking of Ohio State, here they come. After their opening week loss vs Miami, tOSU has feasted on subpar competition before throttling Wisc 55-20. If that's the real tOSU, pen them in for the Rose. Penn State and Iowa stand in their way with Michigan being a possible (1 in 100) stumbling block. "Dick Stomping" was their battle cry at the start of the season and for good reason. They will have a talent edge over both Iowa and PSU but must also root for Iowa to beat Sparty.

Penn State is a long shot needing to both win out and Iowa to drop to Big 10 games. Both will be tough. Remaining games include Michigan, tOSU, Sparty.

Pac 10

[​IMG]

For Now, the Pac 10 race looks to be down to 4 teams as well. There is a log jam of 2-loss teams that could creep back into contention in this ultra-competitive conference. We will focus on ASU, USC, Oregon State and Arizona for this week. Don't be surprised if the "spotlight" teams change every week.

USC already has wins vs WSU, Wash, Stanford and Cal. After this week's bye, the following 4 weeks include, Oregon, @ ASU, @ Arizona, @ Oregon St....brutal. USC does have the talent and could be favored in every remaining game.

Arizona State has quietly rose to #5 in the nation with wins over Wisc, Oregon, Oregon St (OT) and Washington and has a big matchup this week @ Cal. It doesnt get much easier has weeks 10 and 11 have ASU travelling to Pullman for WSU and going to USC.

Oregon State is currently 2-1 but dont expect them to stay in contention for the long haul. Their next 4 are Cal, @ UCLA, WSU, @USC. Don't be surprised if the Beavers drop all 4.

Arizona has shown they are a player with wins over Cal and WSU. They do however, have the rest of the conference left play except Oregon St. With what they have shown thus far, expect Arizona to stay in the race if only by a long shot.

Predictions through 7 weeks:​

ROSE: Ohio State* vs Arizona State**​

* Ohio St finishes 11-1 (8-0) while Iowa finishes 11-1 (7-1) and makes another BCS bowl.​
    **Arizona St gets to the Rose because USC runs the table and makes the Natty Title game.​

2. controllerabuser

controllerabuser Purple People Eaters

Ohio State is lucky they don't play Michigan State or they would be getting "dick stomped".

Great work Radio! Thank you for the content!

3. tuco418

tuco418 Older and wiser than you

"Arizona St gets to the Rose because USC runs the table and makes the Natty Title game"

wow ... no pressure now

4. Cimmy24

Cimmy24 Candy Ass Self

Not so fast my friends! If USC wins outright and goes to the Natty...that doesn't mean the next Pac10 team in line goes to the Rose Bowl game. I'll have to get an At-Large if that were the case....

I feel like I go over this time and time again.....

5. Emmdotfrisk

Emmdotfrisk Working half days on my days off.

haha, I'm glad you remember the dick stomping part radio ha

6. Emmdotfrisk

Nice job win vs Northwestern, oh shit....nvm

7. onaradio34

onaradio34 Tryin not to show how little I know bout anything

Boise already has a loss and and Utah and TCU will play this week I believe. I don't think the winner will finish unbeaten either. I'll post the Non-AQ teams next time so you don't have to over and over it. What other team would beat out a 1-Loss Pac 10 school?

Frisk, sadly yes, "dick stomping" will stay with me for awhile. Don't be surprised if that's a regular callback.

8. BobJr

BobJr To each their own

Featured Threads:
    Great work bud. Gonna be a tough road

9. Emmdotfrisk

haha I seem to have that affect on phrases.

10. Cimmy24

Cimmy24 Candy Ass Self

It's not a matter of if it is a Non-AQ team or not. Automatic bids to the bowls go to the Conference Champion...for the Rose Bowl its obviously Pac10 Champ and Big10 Champ...no matter what bowl...even the Rose...if the automatic bid is a BCS top 2 team...then it's given to an At-Large. At-Large bids can be given to ANY team in the top 15 I believe that doesn't already automatically qualify. Not saying a Pac10 team won't go...but they won't take the next Pac10 team necessarily. They try to get that match up regardless for the real Rose Bowl...such as Illinois getting it in 2008...they finished 13th in the rankings, but sometimes you don't...this is why teams like Oklahoma, Miami, Texas have competed in the Rose Bowl. Since they started a seperate BCS NCG in the 06-07 season they've done better at keeping them within their conferences...such as Florida to the Sugar Bowl last year, Alabama the year before, and Georgia the year before that. They were at-large and didn't win the SEC Championship. Then you get things like last years Fiesta Bowl...Texas won the BigXII and went to the NCG...instead of the #2 BigXII team being placed in (Nebraska who didn't qualify due to being ranked #22 at bowl selection time)....the Fiesta Bowl featured TCU and Boise St. I know starting with this years Rose Bowl that if the Rose loses one of its auto qualifiers to the NCG, Big10 or Pac10 Champ, then the top Non-AQ team that is within the At-Large stipulations would get a bid goes to the Rose. So if Oregon wins out and plays say Auburn for the NCG...Big10 Champion would play say Boise St in the Rose Bowl.

Unfortunately...we're dealing with a video game. I'd love to see it be Pac10 v Big10 for sure...love the user v user game in the Rose...but it's not concrete.

11. Cimmy24

Cimmy24 Candy Ass Self

Trust me....I'd LOVE to play Frisk in the Granddaddy of them all!

12. H22APWRD94

H22APWRD94 RG3 Bandwagon

You guys are funny to read. Frisk, EAD is one that will stay with me for a while. Northwestern is a tough team to play on this game. The way the CPU runs the spread is part of it, the other is that Northwestern really seems to embody their real life persona. They are pesky, irritating, and if you don't "dick stomp" them hard enough they come back like a bad fungus.

13. Emmdotfrisk

I think you guys are starting to understand why I have a beautiful fiance and am a Senior Director of Sales at the age of 26 ;)

14. Cimmy24

Cimmy24 Candy Ass Self

So which did you tell your fiancée and which did you say to get promoted? EAD or Dick Stomp? I'm assuming fiancée was "EAD" and something along the lines of, "This company will get 'dick stomped' if you don't promote me"...??????