Random Thoughts (Week 6)

Discussion in 'Hard Knocks' started by _MG_, Dec 5, 2011.

1. _MG_

_MG_ Watching Folks Swim

Featured Threads:
    St. Louis, Arizona, San Francisco or Seattle? The NFC West will go down to the wire this season....

[​IMG]

What a pleasant surprise. The NFC West, the butt end of many a joke as being the worst division in the NFL, is extremely strong this year. Four capable teams are here, and all four can beat each other on any given sunday. Lets break down the Rams, Cards, 9ers and Seahawks through this point in the season and I will give my prediction on who will eventually be crowned the winner of this division.

St. Louis Rams: Currently 4-1, winning 4 in a row after their week 1 loss to the Atlanta Falcons, the Rams currently sit atop the division. They currently rank top 10 in all offensive categories, including 3rd in yards per game at a staggering 348.4. Needless to say, this offense is clicking. Sam Bradford is putting up solid numbers, but the real key this season has been the running game, more specifically SJAX. Stephen Jackson is averaging 7.2 yards per carry and has 7 touchdowns already. Second year player Sterlin Freeman out of Texas Christian has been a great spell back for Jackson as well, averaging over 5 yards per in limited carries in order to keep Jackson fresh. This speed-power combo of Freeman-Jackson is scary. In order to beat the Rams, the Seahawks and Cardinals will have to contain this duo and let Bradford beat them...which is the best option within the terrible predicament of facing this St. Louis Rams offense. The Greatest show in turf is truly back this time.

Defensively they are paced by Robert Quinn at end and the two powerful defensive tackles Algrenon Spencer and Aubrayo Franklin. They do a great job stopping the run. If there is one weakness to this team, it is their secondary. I think in order to beat St. Louis offensively you need to be able to throw the ball, something the Seahawks in particular struggle with as they are a ground and pound type of offense.

Arizona Cardinals: The Arizona Cardinals had a disappointing season last year even with the huge acquisition of Arian Foster. So what is the difference this year? I really don't know. They currently sit at 3-2 and have shown flashes of brilliance and flashes of....retardation. They obviously have the potential, but it is hard to look at their film and stats and come to a conclusion why or why not they win. They really need to establish an identity in my opinion. Defensively their secondary has been a huge bright spot, with safeties Adrian Wilson and Kerry Rhodes going off this year with a combined 34 tackles, 4 forced fumbles and 3 interceptions. I think you have to run on the Cards to beat them, their secondary is straight nasty with Patrick Peterson, Will Allen, and AJ Jefferson all having nice seasons to go with those killer safeties.

Offensively, like I already stated, this team has no true identity yet. Are they a running team? Are they a passing team? They don't seem to do either particularly well. Kevin Kolb really raised some eyebrows with his start to the season, but seems to have fallen back to his old ways of throwing a lot of bad interceptions. Arian Foster and Ryan Williams are both having a quite but productive season, both averaging almost 5 yards per carry and both with 2 rushing touchdowns. I think the Cardinals should turn into a more run-heavy offense and limit Kevin Kolbs opportunities to fuck things up. If they do that they should be a very capable offensive team and should be a real contender to win this division.

San Francisco 49ers: How is this team 3-2? They run the ball pretty good, limit turnovers and play solid defense. Nothing flashy about the 49ers. Second year QB Jeremy Riggs out of Georgia Tech is coming off a somewhat rocky rookie season in which he threw only 14 touchdowns and rushed for 2 tds to go with 16 interceptions, but he is obviously very athletic and can make some things happen out of the pocket. I think he will continue to progress and will be great for them. This year, minus his bad game against Arizona, he has obviously been much better throwing the ball and has also averaged almost 6.2 yards per carry when he decides to tuck and run. Frank Gore is doing what Frank Gore always does, giving his team a solid rushing attack that defenses can't ignore. Backup running back Kendall Hunter has been a great change of pace for this offense, as he has 81 yards and 2 touchdowns on only 7 carries. I would like to see him get some more looks on offense to give Frank Gore a breather. I think that has the potential to be a dangerous 1-2 combo for this team. Rookie WR Jarrell Robinson could possibly be in the mix for rookie of the year, as he has been nothing but stellar for the 49ers. He has 17 catches for 171 yards and 3 touchdowns and has been the best receiver on this team. He has been only getting better every week, as he was a big reason this team beat New England and Detroit the past two weeks.

This teams bread and butter is their defense. Second year outside linebacker Jamaal Gibson has turned into a pass rushing force, recording 4 sacks last week against Detroit. If he can keep that up, this defense will be unbeatable. This linebacking group might be the best in the NFL, With Patrick Willis, Lawrence Timmons, Gibson and Aldon Smith all breaking necks and cashing checks this season. Their defensive secondary is slightly weaker than their run defense, so if you have any chance of scoring on these guys you better be able to pass the ball. I LOVE THIS DEFENSE. Nasty, hard hitting defense. This is really turning into the 49ers franchises identity.

Seattle Seahawks: Currently sitting at 3-1, the Seahawks are having a great season so far after last years disappointment. New management has really transformed this roster into a scary NFC contender. This offense is all about ground and pounding you into submission, as they are ranked 4th in the NFL in yards on the ground at a impressive 166.8. Marshawn Lynch and Justin Forsett have been nothing but spectacular for Seattle this season, with Lynch playing the role as the power back and Forsett the speed(ish) guy. Lynch has 7 touchdowns thus far on 92 carries, averaging just over 5 yards per carry. Forsett has a touchdown and 152 yards on 22 carries, over 6 yards per. If you want any shot at beating Seattle, you better shut these two down. Charlie Whithurst is doing what Charlie Whitehurst does, putting up unspectacular numbers but not losing games with mistakes. He is your prototypical game manager. He seems to have improved slightly over last season however, where he was just awful with 5 touchdowns and 19 interceptions. Seahawks fans everywhere were dissapointed managment didn't address the QB situation this offseason but it seems they might have been smart, using money in other areas to better improve the team. The one thing I like about the Seahawks is they know who they are, they have an identity and they believe in their style of play.

Defensively this team is lead by its linebackers. Rookie Jaxon Houston has been a force, literally. He has forced 4 forced fumbles already and has an interception. David Hawthorne has 3 forced fumbles and 3 interceptions, and Antonio Cromartie has 4 picks to start the year. This defense is legit and solid all the way around. They force a ton of turnovers and can definitely be considered an offensive defense with all the points they score off turnovers. Absolutely this defense is the strength of this team. They look great.

MG's ALWAYS RIGHT Prediction:

I am on the Arizona bandwagon if Kolb doesn't turn over the ball, and I love the Seahawks play style. That being said, the Rams have shown us how dominant they can be. They have been to two straight NFC Championship games and seem to get better every year. Until I am proven wrong, I will roll with the Rams to win the division with a well-balanced offense that is easily the best in the division.

CINCINNATI BENGALS DEFENSE IS DOMINANT
    [​IMG]
    After this weeks dominant victory over the defending champion Baltimore Ravens 48-17, the Bengals are 5-0. The offense is rolling, but the biggest reason for this start is this DOMINANT defense GM Emmdotfrisk has created. With MLB superstar Brian Cushing, #1 overall pick Kenyon Hubert, Antwan Applewhite and Manny Lawson, this linebacking group is scary. They are producing at an unreal level, with Applewhite, Cushing, Hubert and Lawson combining for 51 tackles, 1 sack, 2 forced fumbles and 9 interceptions. In fact, the Bengals are near the top of the league in interceptions with 18. The most important stat is points allowed, and this Bengals defense is also near the top, only giving up 19.8 points for game including only 49.6 yards on the ground.​
    The Bengals look like they are back to their dominating ways, and I expect the AFC to go through the AFC North with them and the Browns for a third straight season.​
    PEYTON HILLIS IS MY EARLY SEASON MVP
    [​IMG]
    Just some stats to take in...​

• In 35 less carries, Hillis has already surpassed his 2012 yard total by 47.
    • He has 3 more touchdowns than he had all last season.
    • In his week 2 game against the Green Bay Packers Hillis set the New Orleans Saints franchise record for most rushing yards in a game with 236.
    • He also set the mark for most rushing yards in a game at Lambeau Field.
    • Lambeau field has been around for 54 years.
    • It was also the most rushing yards in a game vs the Green Bay Packers in Packer franchise history.
    • The Packers have been around since 1919.
    If Peyton Hillis isn't the MVP, I don't know who the hell is....​

• Like Like x 5
  2. Zikry

Zikry Walk On

Good stuff MG! I love this segment

3. DC

DC Shake n Bake

Wow I didn't know hillis was looking that good! Now he needs to produce vs the users!

4. Emmdotfrisk

Emmdotfrisk Working half days on my days off.

Great write up MG! I was nervous that Lawson and Applewhite wouldn't live up to the hype but they are both producing quite well!

5. Matt54987

Matt54987 Walk On

Awesome!

6. BobJr

BobJr To each their own

Featured Threads:
    and not blow games..

• Like Like x 1
  7. DC

DC Shake n Bake

i still blame the lag for his poor hands

8. BobJr