Re-examining sim with our strategy and game calls

Discussion in 'The Tradition' started by Hellisan, Oct 26, 2012.

1. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Want to start a discussion about things like game situation calls. Any serious issues I have with a person's game I would PM the person privately but in this case, I think it is something a lot of us do, and we need to consider it so I will include mboda as an example here.

Yesterday he has a 28-13 lead against me and got the ball with 34 seconds remaining in the first half. He goes deep, throws it right to my FS who drops it because he's a peen. At that point I'm thinking o.k. after seeing that, and with him getting the ball first in the second half and me not having any timeouts, he's gonna run the clock out. Instead another aggressive pass into a crowd. Converts third down, and then throws me a pick and I kneel out the first half since I only have 4 seconds left.

I don't think MOST real coaches would continue to try and score up big with all the momentum when they get the ball first in the second half. With 34 seconds left and a couple of timeouts left I can see an aggressive call and trying to make something happen... I think this is where we see the distinction of whether a guy is conservative, and would just run out the clock to begin with, or go for it on a play and see what happens... But if it doesn't work out or worse yet you almost get picked... then forcing it doesn't seem like what we're going for in terms of sim play.

Clearly it had no impact on the final outcome, in fact I think it gave me some momentum to make an attempt at a comeback. But in my opinion it can be an example for us all about how we should draw the line between online games against a stranger, and a sim game against a league mate, should be played.

I think we should all examine our games and consider how we play and why we're calling what we're calling and making the decisions we make. Are we calling only the plays that work best exclusively? Or mixing it up? Are we making the appropriate, sim move in terms of field position/score/time left all the time? Keep that in mind.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  2. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

Agreed

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  3. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

LMAO!!!!!

4. NYJuggalo45

NYJuggalo45 Walk On

i ran up the score on Army with a late TD for my HB because I was pissed he got no consideration for any awards even though he is 2nd in the nation in rushing and rushing TDs. i admit it.

5. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

I think we all have hiccups. I noted that I threw a late TD against a cpu opponent the other day because I was so tired of their act. Nobody's claiming to be perfect in this league. Face it, we're striving for something we cannot achieve: Realism in what is a rock/paper/scissors game still after all these years. Our league, and any "sim" league worth its salt needs to have discussions, feedback, etc. It's inevitable.

• Like Like x 1
  6. NYJuggalo45

NYJuggalo45 Walk On

Oh I wasn't apologizing. Fuck the EA cpu logic. Top 20 team. 2nd in rushing yards and TDs. EASILY our best player. And not even nominated. This was a Bill Belichek middle finger to the award voters. Granted a 1 time thing, and would never do it against a user (lol like I'm ever going be up and able to run up the score on another user) but I stand by my decision to score a 3rd TD and pop the 200 yd mark with our HB.

ATTICA! ATTICA! ATTICA!

7. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Ok... Then if not applicable to this thread not sure why you posted it here :D but I get where you're coming from. You're just gonna have to build up that team prestige some more before the awards start rolling in, buddy boy. There's still time for him to get some attention I bet too.

8. NYJuggalo45

NYJuggalo45 Walk On

Sorry prob shouldn't have hijacked what I'm sure you meant as a serious thread with some joking comments. You can delete em if you want.

Pretty sure what you said is something everyone knows and just needs to look in the mirror and be honest with them selves. Hell, I'd go a step further and say if you know you are running some cheese unstoppable plays or racking up retarded stats with a player....stop. Period. This is t1 fuckers, the flagship, no room for unsim cheese shit here.

From being in other leagues before being asked back I can tell you that there are tons of these guys on tso. 40 sack seasons with MLB. 12 sack games by a de. 6000 yd / 50 TD passing seasons. I shit you not. And not all non premiere leagues either. No room for that here.

9. mboda

mboda Walk On

With 34 seconds left and a couple of timeouts im thinking just about everybody in this league would have tried to atleast get into field goal range before the half, if not a touchdown. Especially against a user who you know will make a comeback in the second half, I was thinking I was going to need all the points that I could get. To tell you the truth I don't remember almost throwing a pick a couple of plays before I actually threw the pick. I get what your saying, with me almost throwing a pick there that some coaches in real life would just kneel it out and go into the half. I disagree tho, I think some coaches in that situation would have tried to get some points there, with where I was on the field and a couple of timeouts and how effectively I was moving the ball through the air up to that point, Im thinking there are quite a few coaches who would have tried for some points in that situation. At the time it didn't even cross my mind if that was sim or not.

10. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Ok... If you don't remember I can remind. Yeah you threw one directly to my FS as the first play of the drive and it goes right through his dick beaters as he was standing on your own 40-50 yard line or so... Right between the hashes. Would have nearly put me in scoring range. And then you tried to throw a shorter one to the right side that was batted down in a crowd. Down to about 20 seconds left, third down, UVA with no timeouts and you with everything to lose if you throw a pick, and you kept going for it. I noticed you didn't even consider it. I'm saying maybe we should consider it. I agree with the idea of saying o.k. I'm gonna try to get some points here. I just think after almost throwing a pick, the percentage play of "going for it" at that point goes down to ~10% or possibly far less.

I appreciate the feedback on it. This is a discussion more than my way or the highway. Some people maybe want to keep forcing it even with the time winding down. That seems like me playing Madden 15 years ago by myself. Not Tradition stuff. It's not against our rulebook, I was just a bit puzzled by it. In the definition of what's sim, there's a ton of grey area.

If you were me after my guy picked you off with 4 seconds on the clock and in my own territory (out of hail mary range) would you have still gone for points? There must be some point, some combination of game situation, score, momentum, etc. at which the risk outweighs the reward? Do you see what I'm getting at? Do I have any point at all here?

Last edited: Oct 26, 2012
  11. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    If I almost threw a pick in that situation I would have kneeled on it. Considering how many times I've gotten picked and lost 7 points due to poor decisions, I wouldn't want to risk the chance of that happening again.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Twister18

Twister18 I aint got time to bleed!

Juggz, step away from the edge bruther!!! It's all safe in here! Find your happy place!! :p

• Like Like x 1
  13. Twister18

You and me both Mo!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    Yeah just earlier this season against HotRod, I tried to sneak some points before half and got burned. Think I lost 14 points in all actual because I tried to get points before the half. And there's nothing wrong with that, but it's like I got my hand burned putting it on a hot stove, then stupid me, put my hand on the stove again, burned again.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Gravity

Gravity Hey, I'm Batman

I do have gaudy numbers against the CPU because I know how they can come back. Also coupled with the fact I just dislike this game, I do super sim from time to time if I don't feel like playing. I have cut down on that for the most part. In regards to user games, I think I play pretty straight up with people. I generally don't have a chance to run up the score...........so................yeah.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Twister18

Super sim to play Madden!?? Bad G

17. Gravity

Gravity Hey, I'm Batman

Where have you been piggeh