Re-start vs. Boise

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by egofailure, Oct 23, 2010.

1. egofailure

egofailure Sim habits die hard!

Sorry, fellas. I was down 21-0 to Boise St. in the 1st quarter and had to pause to use the bathroom. As I got up, I stepped on my cat's tail, and she jumped on my controller, causing the game to quit. I know for sure I would have come back and won, so I'm going to start the game over right now.

Just letting everyone know. I'll keep you all updated.

Haha, just messin'. I haven't even started this game yet, as I'm a bit nervous. Wouldn't be surprised if it became one of those "You won't win this game no matter what" contests or the complete opposite. You never really know. Hmm, I might even spend a few minutes "scouting" the roster and game-planning first. ; )

2. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I think Boise graduated a lot of their best guys. Still, Moore is an absolute freakin' stud, so I'd do some worrying. Tell us what it's like playing on the blue turf.

3. egofailure

18-17 Boise at the Half.

Here's what's happened thus far:

- Elected to receive with the hopes of scoring and quieting the crowd. Wanted to run the ball, but it didn't work - punted. The Smurfs started on their 10 and converted a 3rd and long on a craft screen play, making me think, "Okay, here it starts." But a sack later, they punted.
    - Boise's special teams is a huge weakness. I've had excellent field position in this all Half. Got the ball on the 50 and drove into the red zone, but had to settle on a field goal.
    - My D' got Boise 3 and out on the next possession, and again got the ball on the 50. Score. 10-0.

- Now, at this point, the Smurfs had struggled because they were attempting to establish the run. On this next possession, however, a quick corner post turned into a huge gain on a missed tackle, and a couple plays later, my zone blitz proved ineffective and Moore easily connected with his receiver for a TD to make it 10-6 (missed extra point).
    - On my next possession, I had a sack, a botched catch, and then an off-sides penalty. Was I worried? Fuck yes. Lined up in a shotgun formation and ran the option. This caught Boise by surprise, as I kept the ball and ran 80+ yards with Parker (not a speedster) for the score. 17-6.
    - Moore then raped all my coverages to score back-to-back (on one play, my safety just froze on man coverage, allowing the receiver to blow passed him), and was in position to do so again near the end of the Half. As Boise attempted to at least secure field goal range, Moore's pass was picked off and I was one tackle away from going the distance as time expired.

Time to kick off the 2nd Half!

Edit: Oh, by the way, Boise's kicker has missed all 3 extra point attempts. Yes, that's really fuckin' stupid.

4. egofailure

Game Over. 27-24 Upset!

IMO, Boise's a very, very difficult place to play. A few reasons:

- Defense gets a great jump on nearly every play because it's not worth hard-calling. Your lineman will jump offsides often if you do.
    - The game's quicker. Not a lot of time to pass. Quick routes are well covered. PA's need to be called intelligently.
    - Moore will find the open man. A lot of short completions to quick, elusive receivers that know how to get the extra yardage.

Obviously, if Boise had a kicker, this probably would have been a loss. He also missed a makable FG in the 2nd Half. That being said, Moore made two crucial mistakes in spots where points were likely. The two interceptions were the biggest plays of the game for my team. I found that against Moore, it was best to send (reasonable) pressure whenever possible. This allowed me to record a couple of big sacks and create pressure that surely helped contribute to the miss-throws.

Another thing: I had a lot of over-throws in this one, most likely HFA created. My two picks consisted of a God-awful under-throw and a disgustingly ridiculous over-throw. Once I threw the second pick, I thought the game was over, but the missed FG put me right back in it.

5. egofailure

By the way ...

OM, that was my Freshman LB (Washington) who came up with the big interception in the 2nd Half.

And Arch', the game-winning TD came out of the Wildcat formation.

Both plays were saved as highlights.

6. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I don't know what to do about the whole kicker thing. It gets silly sometimes.

Nice win though. Lemme know if you want them at your place next year.

7. bdub

bdub Walk On

Nice win Ego, hopefully that field didn't give you a migraine.

8. egofailure

It'd be awesome to have them in South Carolina next season.

At least Boise went for 2 when they scored in the 2nd Half.

Two of their 4th down calls fell short by inches. Wish I had more video room for this one.

9. egofailure

Haha, only a slight headache.

After posting the details of the 1st Half, I realized that I didn't have my glasses on.

(I don't play as well without my glasses. It's like going from HD to an old tube.)

Haha, I think I played better as a result, but it came with a bit of eye strain, too.

I know I mentioned my interceptions, but the most frustrating over-throws were the beautifully read outs and post-corners throughout the game. It kills me sometimes, but I love how these two routes can be so difficult to complete (sometimes) due to QB accuracy. Very realistic.

10. egofailure

Haha, only a slight headache.

After posting the details of the 1st Half, I realized that I didn't have my glasses on.

(I don't play as well without my glasses. It's like going from HD to an old tube.)

I think I played better as a result, but it came with a bit of eye strain, too. ; )

I know I mentioned my interceptions, but the most frustrating over-throws were the beautifully read outs and post-corners throughout the game. It kills me sometimes, but I love how these two routes can be so difficult to complete (sometimes) due to QB accuracy. Very realistic.

11. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I think this is essential to the game. There's no reason to go and get a pocket passer if the running guys can make every throw. Dayne Crist has a gun, and a pretty accurate gun, so outs, stop routes, and a number of other throws that I take out of the playbook when using the scrambling guys, are now a big part of what I do. You just can't throw deep with a guy who's 85/85 in power and accuracy, and attempting to fit the ball into tight spaces with result in incompletions and picks. Now, the kind of QB you play with makes more of a difference than ever. That's how it should be.

12. egofailure

Couldn't agree more.