Reaching Out

Discussion in 'TMFL' started by Masler, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Masler

Masler Moderator

TMFL

Hey guys,

Alright during tonights game with ant I got very angry about the final pick I threw (enough to spike my controller lol) I need some help in getting better at this game. I throw way too many picks, especially in clutch situations and I also struggle on defense. It feels like I can make a big play here or there but 1) I cannot capitalize or 2) it's like it never happened and my opponent has their way with me anyway. I don't expect to be an elite player because I am far below that. I know that I am competitive but I guess I could just use help in clutch situations. Here is an example of me blowing it:

I intercepted ant with Williams, proceeded to throw a pick in the redzone. TE was open, did I wait too long or was he not actually open? Something like that, ANYONE in this league would get some kind of points vs me in that situation.

Lastly I cannot understand how my defense is so out of position. antcap24, that was nuts how wide open Roddy White was on that one play, he must have been in the clear by 40 yards. It's almost as if my defense has given up.

Anyone that is willing to help point out anything you've noticed playing me, shoot me a PM. I'm on the verge on not wanting to play Madden anymore and really do not want to throw in the towel.

Thanks,

Masler

2. Philstyle3005

Philstyle3005 Walk On

If you ever want to mic up (preferably on the weekend) I'd be more than happy to help you in anyway I can

• Like Like x 3
  3. Masler

Masler Moderator

I'll be around this weekend, I'll send you a PM sometime.

4. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

FWIW, if I was you Masler- I would get the ball to Finley when you can. Tight ends on this game are a match up nightmare- and I bet Finley could dominate with stick option routes and corner routes.

Also, if I ever suspect a blitz may be coming, I like to call curls. If I'm right and that corner is backed off at the break of the huddle, I would whip that thing out there to Jordy Nelson in space because I'm sure he is a bastard there.

Defensively, if your struggling be less aggressive. Cover 3 is a great one to make guys take shorter passes or they have to force a ball down field. It also helps to change the flat coverage to the purple deeper zones. Another thing with cover 3, I love to take control of one of the defenders that has flat coverage and user him. You can't really blow that short coverage outside of letting the RB catch and run for like ten yards, and seeing a user out there really throws a curveball at some guys it seems.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Masler

Masler Moderator

Unfortunately Finley is injured right now. Crabtree is decent but I notice both of them cannot hang onto a catch when hit immediately, resulting in an incompletion. I will take your advice and force myself to get better at manual coverage, mostly for short yardage. I don't feel I am bad at zone coverage when I do manual but man I am terrible, the receiver always gets way ahead of me.

6. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

I dont do it all the time, but on stuff like 3rd and ten it can help a ton. Also get better at user rushing-- I used the d line and OLB's a lot and it makes a difference. ROLB vs LT I try to speed rush around the outside (hold turbo and once engaged try to peel off past him and come around to the QB. I'm not saying do that looping shit, but engage and then beat with speed). LOLB vs RT should dominate all the time in this game, especially someone like clay matthews.

7. Baron

Baron "I'm PFP's reckoning."

Once my new mic gets in (I spiked it after I lost that sim against TEClemson53 after we had 3 desyncs, one of which was a HELL of a game in the 4th) I'd be more than happy to help ya lab. For now a few pointers off the top of my head:

Offensively: Biggest thing and really what helped me when I first got started on TSO, you have to throw to the guy who is GOING to be open, not the guy that IS open. I know it sounds simple, but it's not really intuitive. You see a guy wide open, you want to rocket that puppy out there as fast as you can. But then you might miss the underneath guy creeping into your throwing lane or the safety coming up. Another thing is learning to not bullet pass every time. I think that leads to more INTs than anything else for me. And, of course, you don't want to moon shot the pass every time to give defenders the chance to run underneath it. Getting that medium type pass is pretty deadly when you make it work.

Running the ball, you've got to really read defenders before they get to you and learn when to keep going outside, when to cutback, when to just hit the hole and call it a day. Bouncing things outside works but not nearly as well as cutting things back. I'm a big fan of the stretch play, and once you get guys flying outside to stop you, you call a stretch play but cutback inside for a big gain, just how it's supposed to work IRL. Also, once you've got a defense keying off on the outside run, (i.e. shifting their front 7 or twitching with their MLB in one direction) call a dive.

Defensively: I think the biggest thing is getting comfortable usering a MLB or Safety to take away the middle of the field. Granted there are outside routes that are the first read for an offense, but the middle of the field is well... it's where most guys vision starts. So I think usering a MLB or Safety to take that away is key. You also have to get comfortable passing players off from your zone to the next. Seeing that Madden doesn't quite have pattern matching, you don't want to start in your zone and run with the first guy the entire time (there are some exceptions to this, such as long developing slants, but hopefully you can get pressure by then).

Against the inside run, you really have to get to the point of attack and do realistic things when you get there. My biggest problem was trying to loop around lead FBs and other blockers to try and make the big play. Well, if you whiff, you've taken yourself out of the play and the lead blocker will probably take on a safety and it's six. So take on that first blocker. Against the outside run, you have to get outside as fast as humanly possible to prevent them from getting the edge. Granted, I just told you that'll lead you susceptible to cutbacks in the offensive side, but you've got to hope your defensive help is there to keep it short.

In General: Read Chris Brown at smartfootball.com and his pieces on Grantland (highly recommend the one on zone blitzing). Seriously, it never hurts to process the IRL concepts and understand WHY Levels Divide can be such a great play, why zone blocking schemes are all about cutbacks, and what a zone blitz is meant to accomplish. Not all IRL concepts translate, obviously (like pattern matching on defense), but a lot of them really do.

• Like Like x 5
  8. LSUTRUTH

LSUTRUTH The one and only

You played a fair amount of man when we played. The key is not being predictable. Have your favorite plays but use them sparingly throughout. You have to set those plays up. But you cant be reliant on one single thing.

I love the Green Bay playbook. It is one of the most creative books in madden. There are a bunch of mini schemes in that playbook. Uses those mini schemes set stuff up. Dont for example run slants and let them cross the field and hope someone comes open that doesnt work. Experiment with the lead passing it is much less touchy than NCAA. And you do alot of things with it. I can show you some mini schemes out of the PB as I dont leave until Sunday for my new job

9. Masler

Masler Moderator

Honestly I am terrified to play Zone. Last night I moved Sam Shields to the #3 in favor of Hayward due to Hayward having 89 Zone and was pleasantly surprised but still didn't stop Zone from being a pain in my ass as you may have read above, Roddy White got insanely open on one play. I've been experimenting with playbooks to see if maybe for next season switching up will help me a bit. I currently use GB Offense and NYG Defense.

10. LSUTRUTH

LSUTRUTH The one and only

Yea I love the GB playbook. I can show you some things in the book that are very easy to see and accomplish

11. antcap24

antcap24 Walk On

Since the game is fresh in mind, I will give you my opinion on some things that I was able to key on. With regarding your offense. You had success with quick passes in which you would bullet pass the ball to either your TE or Slot WR. Then I started noticing that when you would try a deeper route or corner route, you had a simliar type zip on the ball. I started baiting you to throw the ball to those WR by flooding the middle of the field and then manually changing over to my DBs and cutting off the angle to INT the ball.

I think if you learn to throw a little bit more with some trajectory you would throw your men open, rather than allow the DBs to snag the ball when they had been beaten.

I felt that you were doing your thing on offense when you had me off balance with running Hillis in the first quarter. I think he had over 55 yards and then ended up with around 75 ish at the end of the game. I believe you need to stick with your gameplan with running the ball and forcing people to stay in run defense situations which in turn would open up the pass. I felt as the game went on, you were a little bit more predictable and less productive as I felt I had an idea of what you were looking to run before the snap.

You had lots of opportunity to punch the ball in after getting turnovers(I think I had 4. Damn fumbles are killing me this year), only to see yourself turn it back over. Most of that had to do with the field getting shorter and not allowing you to use the middle of the field. I knew that obviously getting beat deep wasnt a concern with little field to work with, and that if I forced you to the sidelines, that I would be in a position to make a play with Purple Zones/ the way you threw the ball.

On defense, I got you on that deep play to Julio only because I saw no deep help. It was a 1st down play in which Im pretty sure you thought I would run, and I wanted to establish some running room by throwing a deep pass and making sure you dont crowd the box. For me, its a play that even if it doesnt work, will make you respect that fact that I can throw deep in running formations.

The play to Roddy... That was botched up coverage. He was my 3rd read on the play. I didnt notice him until he was 40 yards down the field without a player in sight. I have to believe it was a cover 2 in which somehow you took the safety responsible for that zone and tried covering another spot manually. I cant confirm that, but just a suspicion.

The best advice I can give with playing zone, is to know where the weak spots are, and what your responsibility is with the player you are manually controlling is. Make sure you dont deviate too far from the zone you are supposed to be in or you will create huge space for players to be open in. By knowing the weak spots in a zone, you can somewhat bait your opponent there. If you opponent reads a certain coverage he should probably have a first option in his mind where he would throw the ball. If you know the spot they would try to attack, you can either jump that spot early and create confusion( which often causes coverage sakcs or panic throws) or you can disguise your intent until the right time and jump into the zone just prior to him throwing.

I find most people that move back and forth from safety to MLB with their user player are dead give aways on what coverage they are using. Most players that do that like to use safeties in man coverage and MLB in zone coverage. So I like to see if there is that tendancy early in the game and use that as a key from the snap. If you are predictable, people in this league will exploit you. You may not think people key in on these things but they do. Maybe I should stop giving away things I use to help find peoples predictable habits, but Im hoping this can help you either self reflect or open your eyes to key on other things that can tip off someone's game.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
    • Like Like x 6
  12. The Richuation

The Richuation Walk On

I hear you man, I am struggling as well. But Antcap is an extreme example. He has a pretty deep understanding of coverages as well as shading technices and whatnot. In our last (attempted) game, any time I tried to call slants he has my dudes shaded... ARG! But, I guess, just like in the real NFL, running the ball between the tackles cures many issues.

13. fuzzyl0gic

fuzzyl0gic No new friends

Great advice/tips guys, I learn something new everyday.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Danthraxxx

Danthraxxx Walk On

This is one of the things that makes TMFL the best league , guys who are really good at the game don't mind helping out some of the less successful guys (like myself). I bet other leagues don't do that.

• Like Like x 1
  15. fuzzyl0gic

fuzzyl0gic No new friends

I agree.