Read Option

Discussion in 'The Experience' started by Masler, Jul 31, 2013.

1. Masler

Masler Moderator

The Experience

Seriously thinking about banning it due to it being too overpowered. I'm sick of the QB being untouchable and the defense does not respond. If you don't like this, I don't care.

• Like Like x 1
  2. UofCWildcat

UofCWildcat Bear Down!

While I agree it's OP, I don't think full ban is the way to go...

3. Masler

Masler Moderator

Mind you I just lost and need to vent. Restrictions like '13 might be useful.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Fmode11

Fmode11 MVP

Can't you set your option coverage to QB aggressive to negate this?

My DE will always sit on the edge and wait for the QB instead of crashing. The only team I played where I found it could be abused was against Syracuse (cpu). I don't think it is over powering in user games one bit. Maybe that's why I am 1-7, need more QB read options in my PB.

• Like Like x 1
  5. HoundsOfHowl

HoundsOfHowl Feed Me More....Football

What about Trip op?

6. NeuroticTruth

NeuroticTruth dont know , dont care

Featured Threads:
    I would say some limitations wouldnt be a horrible idea. While I do run it occasionally myself (not to much success this year I will admit) I always try to limit it to once a quarter and never on 3rd downs.

7. UofCWildcat

UofCWildcat Bear Down!

I vented last night too off that bullshit. So I'm there with ya. But rational eyes show that a restriction on short yardage stuff is best. I have video proof of what happens

8. Masler

Masler Moderator

Well I don't use the aggressive setting because I banned the use of it. The only thing we can set is conservative clock. Like I said above. I need to vent a bit (maybe I should rename this thread to venting lol) because I got beat by it. It was legit but that doesn't mean I was happy about it.

• Like Like x 1
  9. NeuroticTruth

Featured Threads:

I'm fine with triple option tbqh, thats much harder to read / execute.

10. NeuroticTruth

Featured Threads:

So we are in fact not allowed to use the adjustments? So glad to hear that. I never fuck with them anyway but I think they break the game tbqh. The QB focus to aggressive breaks speed / power options.

11. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

If it's the QB rushing that you're concerned with you're given an EXTREMELY effective tool for stopping that. bigrice25 used it all game against me and Scheelhaase was completely contained except for 1 play.

maryland rushing.PNG

dakota7 didn't even use the tool and he still smothered Scheelhaase.
    wisconsin rushing.PNG

12. UofCWildcat

UofCWildcat Bear Down!

Totally agree. That's never a gimme in my eyes. Which is why I may go to an Air Force offense next year. It adds difficulty to the game as well as gives me an out compared to a Navy or Ga Tech

13. Masler

Masler Moderator

Yea the only thing allowed is the conservative/aggressive clock because those actually help.

• Like Like x 1
  14. dakota7

dakota7 Former Blue Chip Recruit

I think if you're playing someone like jello1717 , banning the zone read is cutting out half his playbook. I'd prefer to allow all the tools the game has...ie game planning the QB etc before we drastically restrict the game like that. The zone read is a huge part of college football and banning or restricting it is changing the game. It is a very powerful tool in real life, it should a very powerful tool in the video game too.

• Like Like x 2
  15. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

I didn't know option gameplanning was banned. I've used it from time to time and bigrice25 used aggressive option gameplanning against me the entire game.

I said it before the season started and I'll say it again, I 100% feel that aggressive and conservative option gameplanning choices need to be allowed this year. The option is pretty effective without them and can still be run when they're used against you, but it's definitely not as effective.

• Like Like x 5
  16. Masler

Masler Moderator

If it isn't a problem with everyone. I don't care really, that's just how we always used to have it and I kept the rule when JC left.

17. NeuroticTruth

Featured Threads:

While I dont care because I rarely run the option atm, I hated it when I was using GT in a different OD. It doesnt just affect the read option, it makes running speed / power options completely pointless. The read man just freezes and ends up covering both the HB and the QB on those option plays.

18. blLL flo

blLL flo BTFU!

I agree with both. I used option gameplanning against Nebraska after I was burned by a long QB run.

I don't think rules need to be made out of frustration.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Masler

Masler Moderator

That's why I have you guys. To settle me down. Still have my rage moments on occasion but that have gotten better..

20. blLL flo

blLL flo BTFU!

It's been bad for me this year too. Especially against the Cornhuskers as I was watching them comeback on me, and then last game vs OSU when Miller threw a strike off his back foot.

Even worse when you're playing as your favorite team and have just a little be more invested. :banghead:

21. Hova

Hova Live Action. YiYiYi!

There is no way the aggressive option setting should be banned if option read is going to be governed. This is our only tool to stop it. All this setting does is make the DE stay at home every time so you don't get raped by the QB read. Guys like drifterbub and IPeench have both said using aggressive option defense is fine and a coaching decision to help stop the scheme. If we can't use that we will continue to get raped by fast QBs who abuse the stupid AI.

22. Hova

This is the whole point to the setting. The DE still has to tackle the QB or the HB, unless he is some kind of god and can tackle 2 players at the same exact time.

23. NeuroticTruth

Featured Threads:

You're not getting what I'm saying. On speed / power options, if you use QB focus, it puts the DE in a position to make a play on both guys. You either keep it and he tackles you or you pitch and he still makes a play on the HB. It basically brings the DE (or read player) too far in in the back field and doesnt give you enough time to make a play.

24. Hova

The DE stays in the same spot, its not like he teleports. You can still get around him, you can cut up field with the QB or make him take you outside then pitch. I have seen guys do it.

25. UofCWildcat

UofCWildcat Bear Down!

You're probably not holding long enough. Playing on a triple option HS team, I know the ins and outs of pitch relation, mesh, and all that cool option Mumbo Jumbo. You have to make the DE commit either way. Any hesitation you cut north.

As for the game planning I decided to play two ranked matches this morning knowing is get some douches who'd only run the read so I could practice it. No matter what setting I had it on, he could easily tell and everyone on the d would go for the guy I set to (all on the QB or all on the hb). Did not see any help there are he rushed for 400+ yards on me. It's all just not clicking for me. It also doesn't help I haven't jelled with my normal MLB flows. Sigh it's gonna be a long release