"Real" Coach's Corner

Discussion in 'Between The Lines' started by JerzeyReign, Sep 29, 2010.

1. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

"Real" Coach's Corner

Are their any real life football coaches floating around here? Just wanted to talk with you guys in case any of us have questions, tips, or drills we would like to share with each other. Or we could just update about how our team is doing this season.

Anyone out there?

Who I Am:

Column 1 Column 2
    Team Heidelberg Pride
    Record 3-0
    Age Group 9-12(mostly 12 year olds)
    Offense Multiple
    Defense 5-2 Monster

Right now our kids are playing great. We gave up our first touchdown last week on a botched onside kick, laps are still being ran for that:). So far we lead our division and have outscored opponents 119-6. My running backs have been lights out but I'm always looking for an area to improve. They have a terrible habit of running through the hole with only one hand on the ball but have gotten away with it so far this season, their scared to drop my football. Our defense is lights out, shooting gaps left and right.

My only question is how to stop the A gap blitz from a 6-2 defense. We're working on gap assignments, which should work, but I was thinking of leaving the DE that we're running away from unblocked so the linemen shift down to pick up the joker. Any ideas on what could/should work?

Thanks.

2. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

Holy hell, when I was 9-12 I was more worried about the Capri sun after the game then shooting gaps and such.

• Like Like x 1
  3. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

It's a little serious in Germany. With not alot of opprotunities for us Americans to enjoy our sport live they take leagues a little serious.

I thought this was going to be easy but I have coach's meetings, the whole nine yards.

Our kids are well prepared. Our QB has his wristband with probably 40 plays on it with audibles (or he can make them on his own). We have sub packages. Our own terminology. Pretty in depth for this just to be 9-12 but then again it was like this where most of the coaches grew up. I'm from Jersey, the HC is from LA, and two are from Texas. It helps the kids as they develop as most of them want to continue playing football for a living. Imagine coaching a kid that makes it to D-1 or the NFL, shit I'll settle for highschool starter with good grades:)

PS-We go out or BBQ after the games... the coach's we go to the bar:)... and we STILL give them Capri Suns after the game

4. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    Pearland Buccaneers (7-8 year olds)
    6-0 (currently with 4 to play)
    Points for: 210 Points Against: 12

Offense: Flexcat

Defense: 5-3 (really a 3-5 since our DEs are standing up like LBs)

If you are wondering what the flexcat is, picture a normal fleXbox One formation, then move the QB back into the shotgun and place the TB right beside him. It's a bit cheesy, but the kids like it and we can move the ball on anybody. We've scrimmaged the 9-10 year old teams in both divisions and whipped them both.

I have some pretty mean kids. They just like to punish you. We've had games where the opposing offense was held for negative total yards and no first downs. It's pretty sick.

5. Iron Mickey

Iron Mickey I'd take her out for some casadias

I got a college football coach in my league. He is with the North Texas staff I think.

6. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

Man I'm jealous of you guys. I wish my job afforded me the time off to coach. I guess that's why the resume is getting updated lol.

What offense do you run? I think the only way you can pick it up is by leaving the backside DE unblocked. If you're in the I-formation, you can slide your O-line towards the playside and use the fullback to kickout the backside DE. I'm sure you know, rule #1, block the point of attack first.

Another option, is to leave the backside DE unblocked and install some plays in your gameplan to keep him honest in his containment rather than letting him crash all game long. Reverse, bootlegs, etc......

7. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

Flex cat? It seems similar to what one of the teams runs around here but instead of being in a "true" shotgun its their in the "pistol" formation. They will have their QB and two tailbacks crouching almost (their whole offensive line gets low) like hiding and do a lot of misdirection plays. Very cheesy but it works as their in second place behind us at the moment.

12 points? That's impressive, especially with that age group. Most of the time those kids don't want to tackle, seems like you have a bunch head hunters over there:)

Yeah and our 5-2 is actually a 3-4 since our ends would be starting linebackers on any other team and we stand them up too.

8. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

I coach running backs on a high school team that runs the split back veer. We routinely see the 6-2 defense, and teams will typically double blitz the a gaps with both mlbs in an attempt to slow us down. We make sure our center and guards know who has which A gap on every play. When we go to the gun and run plays we go to a read option and leave that de alone. We then slam down to take care of the inside gaps which gives us a good chance of getting off the edge if that de bites on the ride with the HB.

To add to that concept, our center always has the backside a gap on a run against a 6-2 in our offense unless he is running a toss, or stretch play. The communication is key to picking up this blitz.

9. King_CEPS_11

King_CEPS_11 Walk On

Yepp, I am a student coach at North Texas. I do a lot of the work that the GAs do except for I'm not allowed to coach or give instructions to players because of NCAA rules, but other than that I do everything a coach would. So it's a pretty good deal and I learn a lot of stuff.

10. MaxATX34

MaxATX34 Texas Football

40 plays isnt too much for them? Do they mess up a lot?

I was going to coach kids around that same age a few years back, and my offense had 9 or 10 plays total haha

11. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

Yeah I am just a freshman in college but I plan on either pursuing a coaching career or taking up my teaching degree and getting dug into a school here in South Dakota as a head coach.

12. MaxATX34

MaxATX34 Texas Football

sounds like me. Im a little more than halfway done with school and plan on being a HS coach/teacher.

The more Ive been learning about it, the more Ive been leaning toward coaching soccer or basketball over football. I figure Ill be starting out at the bottom wherever I go. And with Football, in most cases, you have to do what everyone else says...

If I was a soccer or basketball coach though, then I'd have a lot more control over how I do things starting year 1. Even if it is freshman girls basketball lol... at least Ill have a some more freedom to coach and run practices the way I want.

That way I can jump in and take whatever team Im with to the playoffs year 1 and get hired away by an awesome Austin area school ;)

13. Mike E

Mike E Earth Rocker

I am Middle School Athletic Director and head football coach at a big 5a school here in Texas. We run a version of the spread focused on the short passing and the zone run game.

3-4 defense Cover 2.

14. MaxATX34

MaxATX34 Texas Football

Thats how you get creative control haha

15. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

We don't run all 40 during a game or get even close, just 40 choices basically... we get up early so fast we can't use any of them... just this week the HC said he's probably gonna get rid or not run at least half of them... In our last two games we've been up 36 and 38 to nothing by halftime so the second half is just ISOs... the HC literally will come up with plays every practice, I think he gets some help from his brother (who coaches some big LA high school) but most are just variations of our current plays... if you break our playbook down we have 5 formations and 8 plays from each so in reality its not really that many plays

16. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

So how are you guys' season going? We're still 4-0, coming off a bye week. We have tough matchup this week and our boys will really have to focus, coming off the holiday that may be a little hard. Plus one of HBs had a family emergency so he won't be back for our game. I'm going to have to put my backup fullback as my backup HB and let my starting FB play the whole game or get the TE to move over to give him some rest. I don't know, we'll get thru it

17. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

I am a DB coach (played Rb my whole career) at a 3A school in Floirda we have made 3 final four and 2 fianl 8 the last five years, just cant get to the big one.

We are 5-1 so far this year losing by 6 to the #3 or 4 team in 3A in the state we are currently ranked 9th or 10th in 3A.

We have a WR/DB that is committed to Florida for the 2012 class. We also have a TE with big time offers and our 1st string RB/Slot has a couple D1 offers. they are both 2012 too.

Senior LB and 2nd string RB that have offers to Marshall, WMU, Bowling Green, basically the CUSA and MAC teams, a few Sun Belt.

18. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

Is 3A the highest in Florida? Its my dream to coach at a highschool with some prestige surrounding it... to coach a kid and then one day see them on TV, has to be a special feeling... good luck that has to be a very tough task. One question: Do you make your backs run 'north and south' or do you allow them to 'hit the B button'?

19. GSUtiger

GSUtiger GEAUX TIGERS!!

i think the highest in FL is 6A

20. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    The team I coach moved to 7-0 on the season. We've scored 270 points and given up only 19 (one score in three separate games, two off offensive fumbles).

Our defense is just nasty.

21. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

I strictly stay to the Db's we got a great RB coach. I have 6 or 7 guys that were DB's playin college ball from NAIA, Juco, IAA and IA its a great feeling to see them sign their LOI and go off to college.

22. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

Just finished our regular season undefeated, now its on to the playoffs... I left the post game party early as I'm the type of coach that only celebrates championships lol jk... players remember all the good stuff they did well in the game and us coaches remember all the bad:).... Nah, I'm proud of the kids and keeping them focused is a hard thing to do, it was hard as shit to keep them from repeating that they were undefeated.... we don't need THE PATRIOTS part II

• Like Like x 1
  23. Twister18

Twister18 I aint got time to bleed!

Awesome stuff! I think I am going to throw my hat into the ring as a flag football coach next season.

24. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

Don't hurt yourself. LOL.

25. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    We have our last regular season game on Saturday. Currently 8-0. PF = 301 PA = 19. The PF is slightly skewed, they only record up to a 42-0 win even if you beat them worse than that. We laid a 59-0 and a 49-0 beat down on some teams. So It's a bit low.