Real College Football Chatter

Discussion in 'The Experience' started by GoGators, Aug 30, 2011.

1. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

With the season upon us I figured it'd be fun to have a thread dedicated to what happens on the real gridiron instead of the imaginary one. With that, I'll kick it off.

With games starting this weekend and reading SI's CFB preview, I came across an interesting tid bit. Wisconsin's QB last season, Scott Tolzien, is 6'3" 205 lbs and completed a school record 72.9% of his passes. 2011, enter Russell Wilson. The kids received a lot of hype since he was pretty stellar at NCSt putting up big time passing and rushing numbers there. However, the kid is only 5'11" and 200 lbs. Wisconsin's front 5 ranges from 6'4" to 6'7". Is this kid even going to be able to see over Wisconsin's massive front 5?

I think Wilson is very talented, but I don't think he's going to come anywhere near the completion % that Tolzien had last season which was a big driver to the Badger offenses success IMO. I know the running game is where they make their $$$, but converting them 3rd and 6's through the air moves the chains and wins games.

So, dakota7 and whoever else wants to chime in, what are your thoughts?

2. dakota7

dakota7 Former Blue Chip Recruit

Did NC State have short linemen?

3. UofCWildcat

UofCWildcat Bear Down!

Their just gonna give it to their halfbacks (James White and i think there is another guy) and it will be all fine and dandy in Big 10 land.

On another note i'm going to the Notre Dame South Florida game which is kick ass. Thankfully Arizona isn't on tv this week so i'll just get my usual score updates through text about the game. Next week is the big one where we play Oklahoma St on Thursday night (facepalm to scheduling. Love the idea of being raped on National TV)

4. GoGators

No, but they definitely employed a different offensive style. I'm interested to see how Wisconsin's OC attempts to marry the two styles this season. Clearly Wilson isn't a pure pocket passer so they'll need to utilize bootlegs in the PA game. But will they venture as far to put him in a full on shotgun spread look on 3rd and 6?

5. dakota7

They've used a lot of shotgun over the years, they're not as one dimensional as people think.

6. GoGators

Huh, guess I didn't notice. I'm sure you follow them more closely than I though.

You think they get to the B1G championship game by beating Nebraska??? That's going to be a fun one.

7. GoGators

Texas A&M supposedly leaving the Big12 to go to the SEC......thoughts? Who do you think the SEC makes lucky #14?

I hope Miami gets the death penalty and then the SEC can snag VaTech out of the ACC. It's grateful thinking, but that would be a sick robbery by the SEC. I've also read that they could potentially add another team from out West and just slide Auburn into the East since they used to have rivals with Georgia, Tennessee, and Florida anyways.

8. Masler

Masler Moderator

I wish I could go to the MSU game this Friday but theres no way

9. dakota7

Yeah, it kind of sucks to have such an important game as your opener, but I know Barry really wanted that game. I think they are definitely gonna challenge for the title. Ohio State is the big wildcard to me. Do they fold shop and suck? Or do they use all this off field BS as motivation and play really well all season? Wisconsin has not played well at the shoe, so that is the game of the year. And the Michigan State game will be really tough too. Either way, its gonna be fun. If I had to predict, I'd say 6 B1G wins. They should roll through the non-conference schedule.

10. GoGators

Sparty gets OSU at home the last game before OSU gets all their guys back. I think it's an advantage for Sparty, but not as big as most probably think. By the 5th game of the season, any of the backup players filling in should be well seasoned and ready to go. Sparty will be the best team they faced at that point, but it's not like it'll be the first game for them. I hope Sparty dominates and gets to the CCG against either Wisc or Neb.

I'm also interested to see what Nebraska does with their offense this year. Taylor Martinez should be back to 100% and that kid is good. It'd be awesome if they went back to a bit of their late 90's style with more power option type looks. (In my boredom with NCAA, I've gone back and attempted to recreate the `97 Nebraska playbook......might have to put that thing into action for a season :))

It'll also be interesting to see the offensive changes at UofM. How will Shoelaces fit into Brady Hoke's system?

Man I'm excited!!!

This is the first time I think I've ever been somewhat excited about the Big 10 season.

11. dakota7

How many years did it just feel like it was Michigan and Ohio State? I like the divisions and the fact that there are 5 or 6 legit contenders.

12. edge7771

edge7771 Walk On

you think LSU will rebound with all the problems this past week for the big game sat. night?

13. Nautica

Nautica #whatisdrugs?

It is going to be exciting to see how the B1G turns out. I will be keeping an eye on it. Have you guys been listening to the chatter about the Pac-12? Many are saying that it is going to be UCLA and Oregon in the CCG. UCLA is returning 18 starters from last year including their skill positions so they should be much improved over last season.

I am extremely excited to see how ND's season pans out. I do not think that they will be in the NC like a lot of other retarded ND fans believe every season, but I think they will improve over last season and go either 9-3 or 10-2 and make it to a BCS bowl. The only loss on offense for the Irish from last year was Kyle Rudolph and as good as he was, after he got injured Eifert put up just as good #'s so there is no real drop off at the TE position. Its almost the same exact thing on defense. They lost their NT and a CB, but they have a good trio of NT's that will likely all split playing time. Their D might be their strength this year now that they have some real quality depth. Their D-line is going to be solid this season, and with Teo and Calabrese both returning they should have a solid interior.

I really like coach Kelly and the direction he is moving in with this program. If this continues, I wouldn't be surprised in the next 2-3 years if there is real talk about ND being BCS contenders.

14. Nautica

Nautica #whatisdrugs?

I think they will be OK. The loss of Shepperd will affect them, but Jefferson wasn't a full time starter last season and I didn't expect him to be this year even with all the hype Les Myles gave this kid. Their D has something to prove though with losing 3 VERY solid guys in Nevis, Sheppherd, and Peterson.

15. Nautica

Nautica #whatisdrugs?

I just saw this and thought it was pretty funny

16. blLL flo

blLL flo BTFU!

So drunk driving 3 times is better than 4 robberies in one day?

17. GoGators

Agreed, and as fun as that rivalry was to watch sometimes, it completely took away from the Big10 as a whole. Having the CCG and the addition of Nebraska as well as the struggles of Michigan which have allowed MSU to grow up a bit make for an exciting conference race. Wisconsin, Nebraska, Iowa, MSU, Michigan, Ohio St, & Iowa are all realistic contenders for the conference now. Hell, even NW could make a push. That's awesome!

18. GoGators

I've been trying to figure this game out all week and I really can't give either team an edge.

LSU has it's problems:

-as terrible as Jefferson is at times, his athleticism at QB and ability to move the chains w/his feet isn't easily replaced with Lee.
    - Lee looks like a deer in headlights at times and this will be the biggest game he's ever played in I think.

Oregon has it's problems:

-his name escapes me, but I believe their #1 CB and special teams guy is suspended for the game. That's not good going against LSU's Rueben Randle.
    - Oregon has typically struggled early in the season as their offense takes a bit to get clicking.

The one factor that stands out to me as a potential decisive factor is Oregon's tempo. If they are able to move the chains w/any rhythm on offense in the first half, LSU is screwed. No way LSU's defensive front is in game shape or ready to face a tempo that Oregon runs at. If the Ducks can keep those big boys on the field in the first half, they'll all be sucking wind by the middle of the 3rd. LSU will need to control the ball on offense, which is one of their strengths. This should be a great game and I'm so excited to watch it.....it's the game of the season for me.....well, until October/november.

I'm also extremely excited to see the new wrinkles Chip Kelly added this offseason. The new sets he deployed against Auburn in the BCS game were awesome! (thanks for not adding them to NCAA 12 EA Shits!) I look forward to seeing how he's built off those sets for this year.

More importantly though, I can't wait to see what kind of crazy antics the Ducks mascot does during pregame......he's the coolest mascot in the country....and oh the Oregon cheerleaders better get some camera time........as well as the LSU batton twirlers haha.

I'll be rooting for the spread option in this one. Go Ducks!

19. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

Nebraska and MSU are in the same division, so I'd say the chances of MSU playing Wisconsin in the CCG are a smidge higher than MSU playing Nebraska for the CCG.

I'm curious to see how Nebraska does in their 1st B1G season. Their schedule is ridonkulous. They'll play everyone in their division so they have to play Iowa and MSU and they play half of the other division. They could've gotten games against Illinois, Indiana, or Purdue, but instead they get Ohio State and Penn State and Wisconsin!
    Welcome to the B1G Nebraska!

During the team previews on the BTN, they said that during practices Michigan's offense looked closer to what they ran last year than it did when they visited in the spring. It sounded like Hoke is going to be more flexible with his offense to mold it around Denard instead of forcing Denard's square peg into Hoke's round hole (that makes me horny!).

20. GoGators

ND should be good. Brian Kelly is a phenomenal coach. However, I just can't get excited about them cause they don't belong to a conference. There's so many great things happening in the SEC, B1G, Pac-12 etc. It's like there's a phenomenal house party going on with hot chics and beer every where but ND would rather sit out on the curb by itself. Even if ND goes 12-0, it wouldn't have the same meaning to me as doing it in the SEC or B1G or Pac-12.

21. Nautica

Nautica #whatisdrugs?

If Nebraska can come out of all those games on top and make it to the B1G CCG, IMO they would deserve a trip to the BCS game as long as they don't lose more than 1 game. An 12-1 Neb>12-0 Boise st or TCU.

22. GoGators

All I can say after last nights game is holy cow Wisconsin can absolutely steam roll people! I know UNLV isn't on the same level, but they are still a D1 school and seeing Wiscy just roll right through them like that was incredible. Rarely do you see teams line up and just smash the other right in the face and there's nothing they can do about it. Usually you get some sort of trickeration.

The most telling part was the difference in the OL. UNLV had some big dudes on the OL as well, but compared to Wisconsin's, those guys looked skinny while the cheeseheads looked absolutely jacked!

Russell Wilson looked OK too. Kids got some serious skills. He seemed too excited at the beginning of the game yesterday on some over throws. Maybe it's just me too, but it seemed he locked in on Toon a bit. Perhaps he doesn't have a complete grasp of all the progressions yet. It's going to be fun watching that squad over the season.

23. dakota7

We should get a little better feel next week against Oregon State, but I thought Wilson looked good. I agree, he was probably a little jacked up early, but I can't really fault him on that. He's only human. Lol. The defense was a little worrisome, they didn't looked very prepared against the pistol. Im not sure if that's new for the Rebels, but I hope it isn't indicative of the new defensive coordinator. Dave Doeren took the job at NIU and they promoted Chris Ash. Bielema is a former D coordinator, so I guess he could get more involved there if it's a problem. Worst case scenario.

24. dakota7

Does Florida play this weekend?

25. GoGators

Yeah, we play FAU Saturday at 7pm. It's on ESPNU. I'm interested to see the new offense and if Brantley looks comfortable or not. I'm pretty sure we'll win the game even if we play like crap cause the talent gap should be pretty large. The things I'm interested in seeing are:

1 - Brantley's composure and completion % in this game. He opened the spring game 0-7 so I want to see if he's rebounded and really has his confidence back like the coaches have been hyping him up for, or if he's just a practice player.

2 - The running game. It probably won't matter much against FAU, but I can't wait to see what Demps, Rainey & Gillespie can do from a pro style/single back running attack. I think Weiss will find more than enough ways to get Demps and Rainey on the edge and let them play in space which will be a much needed breath of fresh air after Addazio constantly tried to run those guys on the shotgun HB dive last year.

3 - The DL. Howard (Sr), Easley (So), Floyd (So), & Powell (So) should come into their own this year and cause all kinds of problems for OL's. Granted it won't be as telling against FAU, but I want to see the swagger those guys will play with.

4 - WR play. This position group has been hyped and hyped and hyped some more the past 2 seasons and they have yet to deliver anything. Deonte Thompson has been subpar as a #1 guy and hopefully Frankie Hammond Jr and some of the RSFS and SO will step up like they've been hyped up. Plus, an NFL style passing attack will be another breath of fresh air to an offense that for the past 4-5 seasons has relied on slot drag routes to Harvin/Rainey/Robert Clark as our #1 passing option.......especially on 3rd and 8...smh!

I'll probably have to tape this game though and watch it on Monday cause I'm likely to be more interested in the LSU Oregon game. I'm so excited for that game! I feel like a little kid at christmas waiting for that one. I don't think I've ever been this excited about a football season before!

Also, have you guys seen the "Iron Man/Power Rangers" uniforms the Georgia Bulldogs are wearing this weekend against Boise??? Those things are terrible!