Real College Football

Discussion in 'After Midnight' started by gowazzucougs, Aug 27, 2012.

1. gowazzucougs

gowazzucougs WSU is better than UCLA

The time has finally arrived. College Football will be returning this week. We should discuss how our favorite schools will do this year. Really though, I know how this discussion will turn out Jayrah and I will bash recchem2000 UCLA Bruins and vice versa. These are really the only schools that seem to matter in our constant banter. I hope there is no offense Cheez your Illini just doesn't rise to the level of scorn that Coug fans and Bruins fans muster together.

2. Kapono

Kapono Walk On

I'm sure this will turn into a FSU bashing thread also :)

3. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

I'm looking forward to seeing if USC continues the offensive roll they were on to end last season.

4. Boom29

Boom29 Walk On

My three goals for the California Golden Bears:

1. Finish 8-4 or better
    2. Beat at least one of USC or Oregon
    3. Don't lose to Stanfurd, UCLA and Washington State.

5. Corey Haggard

Corey Haggard Walk On

I'm guessing 10-2 for my Wolverines. Biggest hope is they will beat MSU in Lansing, I'm quite sure the winner of that game will face Wisconsin for the B1G Championship.

6. Jayrah

Jayrah AllCougdUp.com Editor - A.M. avatar Guru

gowazzucougs and recchem2000, let's talk about our UCLA/WSU rivalry. Instead of bashing I think I'll attack this philosophically this time. The reason is that since I have taken over as editor of Allcougdup.com and am looking realistically at all teams in the Pac-12, I see things from a different perspective. (Speaking of my site, we are part of the FanSided network and just signed a huge partnership with Sports Illustrated, which is really cool. We will be showing up on their team sites moving forward. Just as a cool little personal nugget).

After studying the Bruins over the last couple of weeks actually, I am quite sure they are on the path to competing for a legitimate championship again soon. This is not that year, but as Hundley grows into a mature qb and the Bruins get more explosive over the next couple years they will be tough to deal with. Mora and staff will go at it much differently than in the recent past and will finally be back to competing with USC, Oregon and Stanford for the top recruits in California and especially everything in LA.

I think the reason WSU beats them this year is speed on the outside, a healthy Jeff Tuel OR Connor Halliday and the Mike Leach factor. The Cougs have been the better team for 6 of the last 8 qtrs these two have played against each other. In the 4th qtr of each, an inexperienced Jeff Tuel in one and passive coaching with poor qb play by our backup in the other cost us the win. This year the roles are reversed (coaching should be pretty even but Hundley will be on the road and it should be at least cool in Pullman). Not to mention, the Cougs got more explosive and have more experience in a secondary that just killed them last season. I look for a good game but at this point think the Cougs should be able to pull it together at home this time around.

7. whygodwhy1111

whygodwhy1111 Walk On

GO DAWGS

Washington beats: usc, ucla, wsu, cal.

Y'all just gonna have to deal with it!

8. whygodwhy1111

whygodwhy1111 Walk On

I am actually a bit concerned about the wr and rb situation at Washington. They seem to be dropping like flys. Probably going to need some true freshman help..

But price, Williams and ASJ should be close to the best in the Pac12 at their positions. God known whAt is going o. With the defence. Hopefully it was all holts fault and we are magically better this year.

9. Cheez

Cheez TSO's 1,000,000th Poster

Best case scenario: Projections are right about the Illini defense, and Scheelhaase finds a couple receivers to throw to since AJ Jenkins is now gone. Illinois shocks Wisco at Camp Randall and holds court in all of their home games, and goes to the B1G Championship game with a 6-2 conference record (due to PSU and OSU being ineligible)

Worst case scenario: illinois defense underperforms, and the Illini pick up where they left off in the latter half of last season. New coach Tim Beckman flops as head coach. Illinois wins 2 games.

I think Illinois is closer to the top than the bottom, but I am also a homer.

10. Corey Haggard

Corey Haggard Walk On

I dont see anyone coming out of that division but Wisconsin, for the same reason you mentioned, tOSU and PSU can't. But, that's why they plays the games. maybe you'll get that upset, and at least one other B1G team will beat the Badgers. I'll root alongside ya. But honestly I think it's going to be Wisconsin vs a team from the mitten.

11. Cheez

Illinois has a relatively cake schedule at home in the Big 10.
    vs. Purdue, Indiana, Minnesota, Penn State
    at Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio State, Northwestern

If Illinois wins at Wisconsin, they will be 6-2 in my estimation (losses at Michigan and OSU). However, if they aren't as good as I think they will be, they could be as low as 2-6.

Personally, I predict Illinois finishes 5-3 in conference, and 9-3 overall. Maybe a trip to the outback bowl or something like that. Unfortunately, the fact that Illini fans are extremely fickle will not help them when bowls are selecting teams, so they may drop a couple spots.

12. Wyrmreaver

Wyrmreaver Ready for Madden 15 on Xbox One, lets get it on!

Notre Dame 12-0
    They face 13-0 Florida State for the natty

"Write it down"

:)

13. Wyrmreaver

oh, and wazzu wins 7+ games

14. gowazzucougs

gowazzucougs WSU is better than UCLA

if Notre Dame goes 12-0, I think everyone will be shocked. If they went 10-2, they should play for NC because that schedule is ridiculous

15. recchem2000

recchem2000 UCLA > WSU

[​IMG]

16. recchem2000

recchem2000 UCLA > WSU

In pencil because you will need an eraser if you think ND and FSU will go undefeated!

• Like Like x 2
  17. Kapono

Kapono Walk On

I think that's Lou Holtz's pick every season

18. recchem2000

recchem2000 UCLA > WSU

And EA sports

19. Wyrmreaver

You can laugh, but Leech never won less than 8 games in a season at TTech except his first, when he went 7-5.......

20. Cheez

You're underestimating how bad Washington State is...

21. MexiRican35

MexiRican35 ¿Te quieres naranjas?

If we can get DirtycashDylan in here we can talk some Red River Rivalry smack

22. MexiRican35

I do think that Texas has a chance to go 10-2. We have 3 top notch running backs in Brown, Bergeron and the #1 HB recruit Gray. The offensive line has gone away from the zone running and well be able to pound the rock. It will take a lot of pressure of whoever is QB. And that lies the problem, the QB situation. Ash was named the starter, and I do think he's better, but Mack might still want to run both QB's. Well find out if things start going bad with Ash.

The reason why I think we can get double digit wins is the defense. If @kapono's FSU D line is the best in the country, Texas is #2. Jeffcoat and Okafor will wreck havoc on any QB in the Big 12. We also have 2 standout CB's on Byndom and Diggs who are great in bump man to man coverage.

Worst case scenario, we lose to OSU in which Ash plays bad. It starts the QB carousel all over again. Then loses to WVU and OU start a spiral and puts Mack on the hot seat for next season.

23. DirtycashDylan

DirtycashDylan I came here to scheme and chew bubblegum...

Texas D looks good but that offense... OU has 5 QBs that would probably start at Texas.

24. MexiRican35

I would take Bell. He's an automatic 6 inside the 10.

25. DirtycashDylan

DirtycashDylan I came here to scheme and chew bubblegum...

Yep. I'm hearing he's made great strides in the passing game this offseason and he's now officially QB2 (jumping JR Drew Allen). He'll be our starter next year.