Realignment

Discussion in 'The Experience' started by GoGators, Jun 29, 2011.

1. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

I seen something in another thread that made me think of this and I wanted to share it with you guys to see what you thought.

One of Jello's issues was that with Utah in the Pac-12, they don't have a traditional rival in their division with them. Also, with the realignment, the old Big-12 has kind of become obsolete. What if we did the following:

Pac-12
    Arizona
    Arizona St
    UCLA
    USC
    Utah
    BYU (Independent BYU replaces Colorado)

Oregon
    Oregon St
    Washington
    Washington St
    Stanford
    Cal (@randiesel75 not sure if you considered the fact that Cal and Stanford are natural rivals when you were deciding between Washington and Cal. That'd be a cool story line to add to the game.)

Big-12
    Texas
    Texas Tech
    Texas A&M
    Oklahoma
    Oklahoma St
    Missouri
    Kansas
    Kansas St
    Iowa St
    Baylor
    Colorado (Put CU back in the Big 12)
    TCU or Boise (add another school to the Big 12)
    ***Add conference championship game back to Big 12***

The thought behind adding Colorado and another school to the Big 12 is that we could give them a conference championship game again. Then, all conferences would have a conference championship game and everything would be even.

I can already hear some of you purists grumbling about this, but if you really think about it, I believe this is the best setup in college football. This is what should of happened with the realignments too IMO.

2. GoGators

My biggest concern right now is with Texas and Oklahoma in a 10 team division, which ever team wins that game will likely snag one of the BCS spots unless we make them play a couple users every year.

3. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

While I think it blows that I won't play any rivals in conference (not just division, but conference) I don't want BYU in the Pac12.

I'd probably rather keep the conferences the way they are, but I don't think I'd be opposed to putting 12 teams in the Big12 either. However, I wouldn't want it to be BSU or TCU (but possibly both BSU and TCU wouldn't be bad) as the team that's left in the MWC would likely go undefeated a lot. In my '11 dynasty I had to take 20 minutes every preseason to create/delete coaches so that I could edit schedules of power midmajors like TCU, FS, BSU, Utah, Troy, etc so that they played a BCS power, otherwise they'd never lose a game except to each other (my MWC had Utah, TCU and BSU in it and was a solid conference).

With as much as I don't want to really muck with the Pac12, moving BSU to the Pac12 and Colorado back to the Big12 (along with TCU) wouldn't be bad either as I think that's what the Pac12 should've done in real life.

Also, while you're worrying about giving the Big12 a CCG so that Texas and Oklahoma don't run rampant (which Oklahoma TOTALLY did in my '11 dynasty as I swapped the Big10 and Big12 teams around so OU didn't have to play a CCG) you're forgetting about WVU. In my dynasty, Pitt was usually 1 of maybe 2 teams keeping WVU from going undefeated (and Pitt rarely prevented that from happening) until I started mucking with schedules and having them play an OU, USC, Texas, Bama, LSU, etc every year.

4. GoGators

That's a cool scenario too. Just curious why you'd rather have BSU in the Pac-12 than your actual rival BYU though?

5. gowazzucougs

gowazzucougs WSU is better than UCLA

Just to chime in, it sounds as if Dru is going to replace Colorado with BYU in our dynasty. His thoughts on doing this, it makes the PAC-12 stronger, and it adds a natural rival for Utah.

6. jello1717

For what it's worth, here's what the Big East and Big 12 (really the Big 10) looked like during the 11 years of my dynasty

WVU won 7 titles going 48-1 in conference with Pitt and USF each winning twice.

OU won 9 titles, going 72-0 in conference during those years with Texas winning 2 titles, going 16-0 (IE. the Big12 winning always went undefeated in conference). I really hope things are more balanced in '12.

The only way I was able to keep Bama, OU, WVU, Texas, LSU, and USC from going undefeated every year was to have them play each other or me every year (which I didn't start doing until halfway through my dynasty).

7. jello1717

Mainly because it just doesn't seem like BYU belongs there to me. Doing this does, however, help keep the MWC stronger as we're pulling an independent instead of a MWC team. If we do move BYU to the Pac12 and take either TCU or BSU into the Big12 (TCU makes more sense obviously) then we'll have to make sure that BSU (or whoever remains in the MWC) plays users every year.

8. GoGators

Just another scenario:

Boise St and Colorado to the Big 12
    TCU to the Big East like in real life
    BYU to the Pac 12

Then we shouldn't have to worry about Boise (who is stacked from Ryno's roster flip through) being a BCS buster every year. They'll have to earn it.

9. GoGators

Yeah, it's him and your league that got me thinking about this. I like the idea.

10. jello1717

I think I like this the best so far.

11. Nautica

Nautica #whatisdrugs?

For what its worth, I came up with something earlier based off of AJ's theme. 3 big time custom conferences and this is what it would look like:

Big Ten:
    • Legends
      • OSU
      • Penn St
      • UM
      • Mich st
      • Wisc
      • ND or Iowa
    • Leaders
      • Texas
      • Texas A&M
      • TCU
      • Oklahoma
      • OK. St
      • Neb
    SEC
    • East
      • Florida
      • Florida St
      • Miami Fl
      • S. Car
      • Clemson
      • Va Tech
    • West
      • Bama
      • Auburn
      • UGA
      • LSU
      • Ark
      • GA Tech
    Pac 12
    • North
      • Cal
      • Oregon
      • Oregon st
      • Stanford
      • Washington
      • Boise State
    • South
      • Arizona
      • ASU
      • USC
      • Utah
      • BYU
      • UCLA
    Now you could go and add 16 to each conference, this is just something I was thinking of. Its kinda cool and would give us the most challenging schedules.

I know this goes WAY beyond what gators is suggesting.

12. GoGators

Nautica

I like the effort, but that goes way too far IMO. The problem with that, T1 and T2 tried this setup in 09, is it's too unrealistic and the other conferences really don't have anything left in them. You're basically neutering the other 3 AQ conferences which isn't good.

I think for the sake of competitive balance, the last suggestion that Jello liked is pretty solid. It gives all 6 conferences a pretty balanced feel to them that should make things very competitive and maintains a lot of great rivalries. Plus you won't necessarily see any of the teams from non-aq conferences being BCS busters.

13. Nautica

Nautica #whatisdrugs?

I would think that Boise St would be eventually headed to the Pac 12. Geographically it makes perfect sense, unlike the TCU to the Big East. If the Big 12 had their shit together they would have gotten TCU to replace Neb and the conference would be just as strong as it was.

14. Nautica

Nautica #whatisdrugs?

lol, yeah I know. I just threw it out there.

15. jello1717

It's my understanding that Texas would never have allowed TCU into the Big12 and Texas has a ton of clout in the Big12.

16. GoGators

Sadly, the conference realignments had more to do with $$$ than anything else. The Big12 didn't want to bring in TCU because they didn't open up any additional TV revenue from another market since Texas already gets majority of Texas anyways. Texas just wanted to get their TV deal with ESPN and screw the remainder of the schools but I won't start my rant on that.

The same thing applies here to why the Big10 took Nebraska instead of Pittsburgh. They already get Penn St's share of the east coast, but now they'll draw more from the plains. Same with the Big East snagging TCU.

17. jello1717

While this may be true (I hadn't heard this) I doubt many would argue that the B1G got a serious coupe by grabbing Nebraska. ND is a most logical fit, but Nebraska is a much bigger pick up for the B1G than Pitt would've been IMO. If you compare Nebraska to the others changing (Colorado, Utah, TCU, BSU, Hawai'i, FS, Nevada) I think the only conference gain that comes close to Nebraska -> B1G is BSU -> MWC, but then the MWC let the only other 2 good teams leave, so the B1G is by far the greatest winner with the recent realignment (with the Big East close by adding TCU).

18. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

My thinking on BYU to the Pac 12 instead of Colorado is two fold. First, the main reason BYU wasn't invited is that none of the Pac schools are religious institutions, and several of the schools wanted to keep it that way. Second (and my main reason), is that the thing that has set the Pac-10 apart from alot of the other conferences is the setup that the conference has 10 schools in 5 distinct regions of the west (Washington, Oregon, No Cal, So Cal and Arizona) with 2 schools in each region that are natural rivals. Colorado and Utah don't fit that bill, but BYU and Utah make natural sense (same state and already long time rivals).

By the way guys, for what it's worth, the group in here is my favorite league to follow that I'm not involved with. I have found your discussions leading up to NCAA 2012 to be very thoughtful and enjoyable to peruse. Keep up the great work guys!

19. GoGators

I agree 100% on the BYU thing and hadn't really thought about it until I seen you were thinking about it in your league. Maintaining that rivalry between Utah and BYU in the Pac-12 makes much more sense than Utah vs Colorado.

20. jello1717

Ditto. After hearing Dru50 's explanation this makes a lot of sense.

21. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

It would also make more sense to replace Utah with Colorado St if you really wanted to keep Colorado in the Big 12. But Colorado AND Utah make zero sense to me, and everything I've heard/read about the Pac 12 expansion hints that Colorado only got an invite because the Pac 10 thought that would help get them Texas, and that the reason BYU started looking into going independent was that it was obvious they weren't getting considered for membership in the Pac 10.

22. Big Suge Knight

Big Suge Knight Walk On

Featured Threads:
    I am not a fan of the idea realignment as I have said before but the thought of BYU in the PAC-12 is intriguing and something I would love to see as Jello gets a rival. Colorado to the Big 12 is OK b/c the pluses for BYU in the PAC-12 far outweigh Colorado in the Big 12. I think TCU really needs to go into the Big East from the get go. The Boise idea is something I would be behind also simply b/c I just don't like them for some reason (sorry but it's true).

23. jello1717

I'm a huge Boise hater as well.

24. GoGators

25. jello1717

I think he's gonna do like he did with the LSU/Georgia debate. Wait for us to decide something and then chime in.