Rebel Yell! Ole Miss lands BCS Title By Shutting Down Vaunted Stanford

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by Hellisan, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

After the Ole Miss Rebels won their conference championship game and saw that Stanford thrashed Utah 31-3 in the Pac-12 Title game, it was easy to be a little intimidated. Utah isn't easy to beat, let alone beat up on, and the Rebels hadn't played a complete game against another user all season.

Finally, in the BCS Championship game, the Rebels played a game that could be described as "the best we can play," winning 41-17 and putting forth their best effort when it mattered most. That, combined with some luck and what can only be called the "Twilight Zone" for Stanford is what carried the day. The Cardinal had one of those games where nothing goes right, momentum for sure but clearly bolstered by some key mistakes.

Stanford kicked off to start the game and ended up giving away some momentum when the Rebels converted a couple of key 3rd downs, including a bomb to dynamic freshman WR Frank Pearson on 3rd and 1 that went for 40 yards. QB Mike Singletary finished the drive with a 7-yard scramble for the touchdown after he couldn't find anything open. Hotrod appeared to make a little mistake with the linebacker on the play. You don't see stick mistakes from Hotrod too often so we wondered if that was a good omen.

The Cardinal countered with a long drive but it was shut down around midfield. Instead of pinning us deep with the punt, it went 28 yards and we were in business around the 30. A few plays later Singletary found the aforementioned Pearson for a 51-yard bomb, all alone after a second stick error. It just turned out to be our night.

As the game wore on, the key seemed to be the play in the trenches, as the Rebels held the Cardinal sackless, but had 8 sacks of their own on defense. We started feeling like we were destined to win when we scored our third touchdown for a 21-0 lead. It was a play in which the numbers were clearly in favor of the Cardinal as it was a goal line style defense against a balanced offensive look. HB Matt Hall was going to be stuffed in the backfield but just eluded the guy and sluffed off the tackle attempt and scored easily. It was that type of day for Ole Miss.

Stanford would put points on the board before the end of the half and then get the ball back after a punt, but Adam Cooper was simply pounded by DT Justin Horn and lost the ball just before halftime. That resulted in a good read and throw by Singletary to TE John Davis, all alone in the back of the end zone for a 28-3 lead at halftime.

In the third quarter we continued to play good defense thanks to wave after wave of pass rushers. If Stanford didn't set a record for punts in a game in the NCAA 12 game cycle, I'd be surprised. We added a field goal in the quarter and it was really the difference in the game, as you don't want to give Hotrod a chance to get into comeback range late. We eventually made it 38-3 before the Cardinal put several good plays together and made the score closer at the end with a pair of touchdowns.

HB Matt Hall missed approximately 1 quarter of action due to an injury, but managed to plow ahead for 22 carries, 103 yards, and 2 touchdowns against and extremely tough and aggressive Stanford defense.

"They weren't going to let us run the ball today," said Coach Hellisan. "I don't think I saw a big crease all game but it's a testament to that running back that he still pulled out 100 yards in three quarters. He should have won the Heisman. If we could have afforded to keep him in for more stats, we would have, but we knew we'd need him to get to the mountain top."

• Like Like x 2
  2. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

I hit the under For "lucks"!

Congrats you bitch!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

I didn't catch this... Was there a bet on how many times I would use the word luck or something

4. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

Yes Mo placed the under/over in the chat on"Luck(y)" to 5

Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  5. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

You missed it as well I wanted everyone to start texting you in the 2nd quarter...."Congrats"

6. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

ahahahahahaha you guys are dicks

• Like Like x 1