Rebels dismiss Penn State 37-9

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by Hellisan, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

On Thursday, Penn State and Ole Miss made two attempts at playing a game and got two disconnects. On both tries the games were taught, low-scoring affairs. One was 0-0 (IIRC) and the next one, which got into the 3Q, was 7-3. We decided to just completely replay the game rather than play a half giving Penn State a 4 point advantage (the decision was left up to JMS since he had the lead). As we signed off for the night, JMS jokingly said "this will give you time to come up with a gameplan."

We did overhaul our gameplan because we weren't gaining more than a few inches anytime we ran the ball yesterday. I thought to myself it's time to give my 6'6" WR Tony Cain a chance to take this game over if they're going to continue to play a lot of guys in the box and a single safety trying to defend the deep middle.

We did try and run the ball again but we also took two unsuccessful deep ball shots on our first drive, which ended in a punt. On our second drive we were able to put together a couple of first downs and get into scoring range around the 24 yard line. From there the Penn State corner jammed Cain but couldn't get a good piece of him and he broke toward the end zone. The safety seemed to take a bad step and Cain was all alone for a 24-yard TD pass.

I thought to myself "I won't see him in even single coverage again, this is gonna be 2 deep the rest of the game." Wrong. Penn State appeared to stay true to their original, very aggressive game plan. Long story short Cain hit them up for TD's of 36 yards and 35 yards in the first half to give us a 21-0 advantage and a shit-ton of momentum. In the second half Josh Turner put the game away with two 70+ yard runs once the momentum was pushing us above and beyond our abilities. The result was a blowout that I'm sure neither of us expected.

Insult to injury was added in the 4th QTR when Penn State decided to go for two after a TD... I guess out of frustration. I accidentally clicked to go to first person mode with my MLB and when my D ripped the ball loose and ran it back, there was nothing I could do, I couldn't click off my guy. I wouldn't have scored on purpose there. Oh well, didn't matter.

Stars of the Game:

QB T. Robbins - 12/16, 229 yds, 3 TD, 0 INT
    WR T. Cain - 6 rec, 149 yds, 3 TD
    HB J. Turner - 13 car, 171 yds, 2 TD, 79 LNG

• Like Like x 2
  2. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    PSU usually stays in base 4-4 type defense and won't deviate from that, thinking his CB's can jam any and everyone...seems like they didn't adjust to the 6'6" beast.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Eh, he doesn't press that much with it, a lot of times if you see that it's just a cover 2... 4-4 has never really given me problems whatsoever, it's too obvious what they're doing before the snap.

If the corners back off, it's cover 3 = quick out route and a 10-yard gain.

If the corners are up in the face of the WR, it's some kind of press or Cover 2 = big gain over the top or a slant route to beat it up.

If neither of those, it's probably either Cover 1 with a deep safety back in the middle, or a cover 2 where the second safety/linebacker is going to be late getting deep.

Obviously the big issue is running against it, that's very hard. I believe in the 2H of the game is when he wasn't using it anymore, and we had two long runs.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2012