Rebs survive late fumble to win 21-18 against Utes

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by Hellisan, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Here's one that you won't see too often - A user beating a user while turning the ball over twice and not causing any turnovers. That one of the turnovers came when we were nursing a late lead made it even more difficult.

"We didn't hit the conservative carry switch early enough so we almost lost this one," lamented Coach Hellisan.

Each team had to punt early on before the Utes kicked a field goal. Rebels responded by going 72 yards on a 3rd and 1 as we pitched it wide and there was simply nobody out there to stop Matt Hall and a cadre of blockers. That gave us a 7-3 lead, and after Utah kicked a 56-yard field goal, it was 7-6 at halftime.

Our offense was determined to give this one away as we threw a stupid interception and had the aforementioned fumble. We also had a pass bounce off a player's facemask and other stupid mistakes that just make no sense. However we did put together a drive that resulted in a 1-yard touchdown plunge by the fullback in the 3Q. Backup TE Harper set the play up by catching a pass and getting pulled out of bounds just shy of the goal line.

We got the ball right back and went down the field again as the offense was very effective at this point in the game. We were running and passing with equal effectiveness. Singletary saw the CB take a false step and threw a 22-yard pass over the top to Frank Pearson for a 21-6 lead.

Utah finally got the offense untracked and helping matters was a miracle pass completion into triple coverage over the middle. I will go to my grave (or just breakfast tomorrow maybe) wondering how the fuck that one was caught in a sea of arms. That set up a 9-yard pass by M. Wright on a comeback route to the left.

Once again it looked like our offense was going to drive the length of the field as we got a couple of tidy first downs on runs but then Utah decided that they wanted it back, and we hadn't pushed the hold on to the ball button yet. So that got them right back in the game. A 51-yard touchdown pass came at just the wrong time. Utah failed both of their 2-point conversion attempts in the 4Q to give them 18 points.

We got cute and tried to throw for a big gain on 3rd and 3 on the next possession, and Singletary threw it 15 yards out of bounds. Way to not get too excited there, champ. However, we took a lot of time off the clock. Utah got the ball back needing to make some plays and made some strange calls, such as going to I-form on 3rd and long for a HB pass of some sort. That was squashed, as were a couple of other plays such as WR screens. Our defense was just too pumped to get this win.

GG MaxATX34 ... That Punt did kill you, but I think it was evened out by our dumb fumble.

2. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    Good job ole miss...u been having the nail biters...

3. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Thanks man... I know! Unless it's Penn State I really struggle to put up points, lol

4. MaxATX34

MaxATX34 Texas Football

GG Hellisan but I disagree about the punt, that one almost sent my controller for a ride. I shanked it badly in my own territory and gift-wrapped that TD for you. If I could have flipped the field there and made some plays on D you might have settled for a FG and that'd have been the difference. I couldnt go deep at the end bc Wright got injured and my backup QB has no arm. I thought about pulling the RS off a true Freshman, but I didnt think he would be able to pull it off anyway and I decided it wasnt worth it. The screen and HB pass I was just trying to take advantage of lax coverage for a play or two and hope Wright came back in time to make a play, but alas... GG again

5. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Not to belabor the point, because in the end it doesn't matter but I don't think those two plays could be much more similar in their negative effect on our games. The shanked punt basically counted like a turnover setting me up around midfield when I should have been inside my own 20... I agree it was HUGE and I scored thereafter.

The fumble set you up at the 48 yard line where you scored that 52 yd pass play on like the next play, IIRC. (do I?) Also HUGE and came right near the start or middle of the 4Q, very harmful to my chances.

Anyway...

6. MaxATX34

MaxATX34 Texas Football

yea that was right. It was a 51 yarder and yea the fumble/pass were very clutch, especially after botching those 2-pt tries. I thought the punt gave you the ball at your own 30-something, but yea... those were two key plays. Of course that 70 something yard TD run was important too! Your D was obviously great (held me to 2/9 on third down) and your freak DTs really screwed up the gameplan I had devised to protect my young QB. I should have ran outside and tried to neutralize them instead of giving them a clean shot at the QB all day.

gg again though. That one was instense!

• Like Like x 1