Recap of Tennessee @ Georgia (requested by Fosh)

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by Hellisan, Sep 8, 2009.

1. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Recap of Tennessee @ Georgia (requested by Fosh)

Short version: Rusty's teams made two mistakes that he really didn't have anything to do with and that lost him the game.

Long Version:

Tennessee took control in the early going with a relatively easy drive on their first possession, mixing both the pass and the run. It resulted in a 4-yard touchdown by Bryce Brown.

We moved the ball but couldn't sustain and had to punt. Tennessee tacked on a field goal to make it 10-0. Our defense started to play a little better toward the end of that drive.

On the following drive we managed to kick a 37-yard FG to make it 10-3.

Tennessee again had zero problems going right down the field on us, but our defense stepped up inside the 10-yard line and they had to kick a 22-yard field goal, 13-3.

On the following drive we completed a long pass to the TE in coverage (Tennessee had almost an identical one earlier, so both defenses gave up unreasonable long plays)... then a 17-yard run right up the middle on a counter play by Richard Samuel that made it 13-10. We could feel the momentum coming back.

We forced another punt before halftime and gave Tennessee a scare (going for a FG) but didn't have enough timeouts/time on the clock so went to halftime down three.

The third quarter was a defensive struggle for the first 4-5 minutes. Then Tennessee fullback Kevin Cooper got blasted by one of my defensive backs after catching a short pass, and fumbled. DE Justin Houston recovered. Tennessee then called sort of an exotic defense that resulted in A.J. Green standing in the back of the end zone all alone. I had been looking toward the right, then I looked back and had to do a double take because he was literally standing by the goalpost waving his arms around. As I threw it he started running forward, but none of their defensive players could get there in time and he caught it toward the front of the end zone all by himself. Rusty was angry because his defense didn't get any pressure on that play. We took the lead 17-13.

For the game, they had 3 sacks to our 2 but it seemed like we had a little more pressure. They had a faster QB that got away a couple times. And one of our sacks was only a 1-yard loss so it was pretty even.

The second big mistake came a couple drives (and punts) later. Rusty dropped back and made a good read but QB Xavier Stephens (87 THA but only 53 AWR) made a horrible throw, 3 yards behind his receiver and right to Rennie Curran, my outside linebacker. Curran was the linebacker that batted away a pass on Tennessee's last-gasp attempt at the end of last year's game so he has been a thorn in their side.

With Tennessee a bit demoralized they made a bad defensive call and TE Bruce Figgins was able to get behind the defense for a 41-yard touchdown catch, and the Bulldogs were up 24-13.

the Vols sacked up and were able to get another nice drive together and scored on a 2-yard run, but we were able to take just a little bit of time off the clock in the process. 1:54 remained in the game after their touchdown/2 point conversion put them down by 3, 24-21.

On the following drive Tennessee used one of their timeouts after stopping us on a run attempt and then loaded up the line again so we audibled to a pass, and Thomas Cody found A.J. Green for a 31-yard pass play (out route) which basically ended the game. If it were me, down by three points with just over a minute remaining I would have used the remaining two timeouts and hoped to get the ball back but Rusty had enough and didn't use his two final timeouts.

Player of the game was Thomas Cody, who was pretty flipping awesome for me. 22-23, 319 yards, 2 touchdowns, 0 INT and a rating of 240.8. The freshman is playing great so far, let's see how he does against Florida and on the road against Auburn...

GG Bruce.

2. BRUCE80

BRUCE80 Let the dirt just shower over you..

Nothing against Helli cause he played really well on O, but does anyone else see a problem with 22-23 passing?

I would have been close to that myself outside of the really bad throw on the int and the drops by my recievers.

Breaks were the name of the game in this one, the fumble ruffled my feathers because I had no control over that and had the lead with a nice drive going.

The pick was just a really bad pass by my QB, I didnt throw into coverage the player was wide open, just a crutial back breaking bad throw.

Turnovers often decide user games at that was no different in this one.

A really good game outside of that, congrats to Helli on a nice win.

3. jfosh

jfosh Super

Thanks for the Recap....I always enjoy reading about the game!

22-23 is pretty darn good. Georgia back in their no mistake mode.

4. BlyGilmore

BlyGilmore It's All In The Hips!

22 of 23 is a bit ludicrious, but one game doesn't make a trend.

5. Blaza

Blaza In Arsene Wenger I Trust

Sounds like Helli cheated. :eek:

6. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

(y)

Yeah there's a 10-digit code I punch in as I'm dropping back that guarantees teh completion. I messed up on that code 1 time in 23 dropbacks.

7. BRUCE80

BRUCE80 Let the dirt just shower over you..

He did 22 times.